Tithing.... "BUYING" God's blessings

ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:
How do pastor's support their family?
How does a church pay for its ministries?
How do missionaries get sent to foreign countries?

Is there a difference between tithing and giving?
I guess the simple answer is yes, but it is a definition of some semantics.

Tithing is tenthing, or giving a tenth of ones' increase. Giving is, well, any amount including the tithe.

Any amount including the "tithe"?

Did you just say that?
Umm, yes, not sure what your driving at. When you tithe, you give, tithing is giving.

Perhaps you could elaborate?

Giving is, well, any amount including the tithe...

You said any amount.... Did you not know that 1 percent doesn't include the "tithe"?

By the way..... Abraham didn't tithe throughout his life. He only did it once and even then it wasn't on his own property.

praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:
I prefer to have a pastor who is able to spend 40+ hours a week in bible study and prayer than one who is worn out from working 40+ hours in a secular job to only have far less hours in bible study and prayer.

I guess you get what you honor.

Your preferences are silly. I imagine you'd reject the apostle Paul because he worked a job and still found time for prayer, study... and etc.

Tell me, you're obviously have no respect for your own efforts. You work, pray, study, and goof off. Maybe you should following your own demands...
Paul dealt with this in the first 14 or so verses of 1 Corinthians 9

praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Tithing is tenthing, or giving a tenth of ones' increase. Giving is, well, any amount including the tithe.

Did you just say that?
Umm, yes, not sure what your driving at. When you tithe, you give, tithing is giving.

You said any amount.... Did you not know that 1 percent doesn't include the "tithe"?

By the way..... Abraham didn't tithe throughout his life. He only did it once and even then it wasn't on his own property.
Actually, pretty sure my wording didn't say 1% included the tithe, my wording stated that giving was any amount, and any amount includes the tithe. 1%, 10%, 11%, 1.1%, 11.1%, all giving, and the tithe is included in that list.

Your assertion that Abraham only tithed once is an assertion from the silence of scriptures. We do nkow Abraham tithed at least once, and that to an order of priesthood that we are fashioned after, that of Melchizedek.

praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

In the technical sense of the word, tithing is giving.
However, you mean (I assume), tithing as practiced by some churches: giving 10% of your income to the cause of Christ.
I don't believe tithing is a NT principle. The NT standard is 'as God has blessed you'.
Personally speaking, if my wife and I merely tithed, we could reduce our giving. I'd guess that would be true of many others as well.

ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

Actually, pretty sure my wording didn't say 1% included the tithe, my wording stated that giving was any amount, and any amount includes the tithe. 1%, 10%, 11%, 1.1%, 11.1%, all giving, and the tithe is included in that list.

That's rather convoluted.

Your assertion that Abraham only tithed once is an assertion from the silence of scriptures. We do nkow Abraham tithed at least once, and that to an order of priesthood that we are fashioned after, that of Melchizedek.

You're the basing your argument on silence. You're saying he did, when there is no evidence that he did. I'm just talking about the evidence.

Abraham tithed on the spoils of war and he gave to the King of Salem, a real King that ruled Salem. The city that became Jerusalem.

Do you have any evidence that anyone but a Jew was commanded to tithe? The storehouse is gone. You can't tithe to were God said to give it. Its not there any more. 

Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

However, you mean (I assume), tithing as practiced by some churches: giving 10% of your income to the cause of Christ.
I don't believe tithing is a NT principle. The NT standard is 'as God has blessed you'.
Personally speaking, if my wife and I merely tithed, we could reduce our giving. I'd guess that would be true of many others as well.

Do they pay you out of your own giving?

praise_yeshua said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

I don't know what that means.
I am not 'paid to pastor'.
Long ago, our church family decided to give me a living wage so that I would have the time to be a more effective pastor (shepherd). The same decision was made with each of the 5 additional pastors.

This subject is one of the many dead horses we dig up and beat regularly on the fff. I'm happy to answer your question, but I don't give a rat's hiney what you, Mater, peerophet or anyone else thinks about what we practice. Meaning you're welcome to what you believe, and like me, you will give an account of yourself to God!

FSSL said:

Lottery winnings?

Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

Long ago, our church family decided to give me a living wage so that I would have the time to be a more effective pastor (shepherd). The same decision was made with each of the 5 additional pastors.

This subject is one of the many dead horses we dig up and beat regularly on the fff. I'm happy to answer your question, but I don't give a rat's hiney what you, Mater, peerophet or anyone else thinks about what we practice. Meaning you're welcome to what you believe, and like me, you will give an account of yourself to God!

Just asking it you get paid out of the same monies you give. Simple question.

Draw the living wage. Enjoy your job. I'm not wanting you fired or removed. Just arguing the point. Some can handle it. Some can't. Its been my experience most can't.

I do see a conflict of interest in those who give to the same organization that pays them. Just saying.

The Rogue Tomato said:
subllibrm said:
FSSL said:

Lottery winnings?

He could get a real job, like making tents.

Oh no.... that'd take too much time away from praying endlessly.....

Every prayer that Jesus taught could be said in a matter of a few minutes at most. I have nothing against .... long... personal... prayers.... but I don't see how that affects much in the way of resource availability.

praise_yeshua said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

Draw the living wage. Enjoy your job. I'm not wanting you fired or removed. Just arguing the point. Some can handle it. Some can't. Its been my experience most can't.

I do see a conflict of interest in those who give to the same organization that pays them. Just saying.

Obviously, I give to the church which I serve. But I see no conflict of interest. My money goes into the same 'pot' out of which we pay our pastors, our custodians, buy food for our food pantry and give to the homeless shelter..as well as many other ministries we carry out and support...including missions.

I have no problem with your seeing a conflict of interest, as long as it doesn't affect me! ;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

Obviously, I give to the church which I serve. But I see no conflict of interest. My money goes into the same 'pot' out of which we pay our pastors, our custodians, buy food for our food pantry and give to the homeless shelter..as well as many other ministries we carry out and support...including missions.

I have no problem with your seeing a conflict of interest, as long as it doesn't affect me! ;)

Deal ;)

praise_yeshua said:
Your preferences are silly. I imagine you'd reject the apostle Paul because he worked a job and still found time for prayer, study... and etc.

Tell me, you're obviously have no respect for your own efforts. You work, pray, study, and goof off. Maybe you should following your own demands...

I like well thought through, meaningful sermons with a ton of prayer behind and a side of fries.

I have been on both sides. A pastor who worked a secular job and a pastor who didn't need to.

I will take the Sunday school lesson, am sermon, pm sermon and weekly Bible study ANY DAY over the secularly employed pastor who had the same.

As for me... If I were to go back into employment as a pastor, I would drop the time consuming part of my business. Even now, my secular businesses don't require me to devote the typical 40 hour work week. I can work 4-10 hours a week and do fine.

I have the privilege and opportunity to fill-in. I am able to devote 20 hours to a lesson to cover for my SS teacher and substantially more to cover for my pastor.

The Apostle Paul made a choice for himself even when he had the right to take a payment from the churches in which he ministered.

FSSL said:
praise_yeshua said:

I like well thought through, meaningful sermons with a ton of prayer behind and a side of fries.

I have been on both sides. A pastor who worked a secular job and a pastor who didn't need to.

I will take the Sunday school lesson, am sermon, pm sermon and weekly Bible study ANY DAY over the secularly employed pastor who had the same.

As for me... If I were to go back into employment as a pastor, I would drop the time consuming part of my business. Even now, my secular businesses don't require me to devote the typical 40 hour work week. I can work 4-10 hours a week and do fine.

I have the privilege and opportunity to fill-in. I am able to devote 20 hours to a lesson to cover for my SS teacher and substantially more to cover for my pastor.

The Apostle Paul made a choice for himself even when he had the right to take a payment from the churches in which he ministered.
Agreed, which is why I made reference to 1 Corinthians 9. He said he could, but chose not to. Actually, he said he had authourity to, as well as he had authourity to have a wife, but to both he chose not too. In context, he was correcting them concerning their attitude regarding supporting him. Now, he is called an apostle, but he brings Barnabas into the equation, who was not one of the 11/12/13.

Yep! Paul didn't want to be accused as doing ministry for the money. People were ready to make false accusations. Paul took that argument off the table.

We still have people with the same spirit who falsely accuse motives... Unfortunately.

praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

"Including" is not the same as "plus".

Or put another way ... never mind, it would just get twisted like everything else.

FWIW IP was very clear. When I read his post I did not see what you think you saw.

FSSL said:
Yep! Paul didn't want to be accused as doing ministry for the money. People were ready to make false accusations. Paul took that argument off the table.

We still have people with the same spirit who falsely accuse motives... Unfortunately.

Obviously you only follow Paul's example when it fits your lifestyle choices.

subllibrm said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Did you just say that?

"Including" is not the same as "plus".

Or put another way ... never mind, it would just get twisted like everything else.

FWIW IP was very clear. When I read his post I did not see what you think you saw.

Okay. You didn't see it. No surprise.

praise_yeshua said:
Obviously you only follow Paul's example when it fits your lifestyle choices.

As in not needing the church's money? That's right.