Update on First Baptist Church of Hammond

praise_yeshua said:
How about you Tom? What would your ministry look like if you didn't depend on lying about the tithe?

Have you stopped beating your wife lately?

Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:
How about you Tom? What would your ministry look like if you didn't depend on lying about the tithe?

You pastor a church. You get a salary. Your salary is supported by preaching the lie of the tithe.

Pretty simple. I thought everyone here pretty much knew this.

TidesofTruth said:
praise_yeshua said:
IFB X-Files said:
praise_yeshua said:
The Gospel mixed with anything is not the Gospel.

I must say I'm confused.  Please give your definition of "the Gospel".

I already have. It is the entire revelation of God to humanity. It's not just John 3:16. The TRUTH of God revealed in Christ Jesus. The first off all things. Read Col 2:9-10 and you'll get the picture.

You are doctrinally illiterate.

Stupid one liner.... Is that all.you have?

Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:
IFB X-Files said:
praise_yeshua said:

I already have. It is the entire revelation of God to humanity. It's not just John 3:16. The TRUTH of God revealed in Christ Jesus. The first off all things. Read Col 2:9-10 and you'll get the picture.

This is incorrect.  The Bible itself tells us what the Gospel is in the opening verses of I Cor 15.

Churches do need to preach the whole counsel of God - the entire body of revealed truth, but that is not the gospel.

Really? You do realize that Paul said.more than just what's written in 1 Corinthians 15. His entire discourse in the book of    Romans is the Gospel he preached. So was Galatians, Colossians..... Etc.

You make void the word of God with your silly traditions. Truth is Truth. It comes from God to Humanity. This is the Good News of Jesus Christ.

man...you peoplez have waaaaaay too much time on your hands. But to read all if this is better than Days of Our lives and General Hospital combined on steroids.

you are awesome!

praise_yeshua said:
Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:

You pastor a church. You get a salary. Your salary is supported by preaching the lie of the tithe.

You are aware that thousands and thousands of pastors are financially supported by churches that teach nothing of a tithe, aren't you?

brainisengaged said:
This is not an answer to Prophet's post, but when he mentioned giving to the physical needs of the saints, it reminded me of something that has bothered me.  At FBC, we would take special offerings on Wednesday nights, always for another ministry not our own. A church that was damaged by a tornado, we took a love offering. A pastor whose child needed surgery and they had no insurance, we took a love offering.

Those are of course the type of things any good-hearted caring person would want to contribute generously toward. But at the same time, if a member of our own church, FBC, had a home damaged by a tornado or had a child needing surgery not covered by insurance, we did nothing as a church to aid our own. It was reasoned (I was told once by someone) that if we did it for one person, we'd have to do it for all. And I find that logical, for it is true. How would you possibly be able to take up an offering for every need that every member might have? But it was in this area that you could always see the 'hierarchy', so to speak. If you were someone "important", your needs were met. If you were just the lady in the wheelchair that no one knew, well, not so much. That's a shame. Maybe all churches cannot help but operate in this manner. There will always be 'greater' people and 'lesser' people. But we all know we are not supposed to operate in this manner. How can we avoid it?

While there always have been a Wednesday night others offering I do not find what you state here to be complete.  There have been thousands if not tens of thousands of people that have been taken care of through various means in the church.  I know huge numbers helped from monies that range from the pastors benevolent funds to individual sunday school classes to alms and the majority of these things were done quietly without fanfare.  Huge numbers of people took from their own pockets and quietly took care of others needs.  School bills, food rents and many times the giver was completely unknown.  Others offerings have always been about others and that is very good thing to be an example corporately.  In it breeds an attitude of giving in the people. 

rsc2a said:
praise_yeshua said:
Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:

You are aware that thousands and thousands of pastors are financially supported by churches that teach nothing of a tithe, aren't you?

No. I am not aware of thousands and thousands of churches that do not preach tithing and support a full time "pastor".

Go ahead and list a few thousand. I do t personally know of but a few. Less than 10. In fact, I don't know but one IFB church that doesn't preach tithing. Even though they say tithing is a Good Straight..... which is pretty much teaching tithing.

praise_yeshua said:
Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:
Elaborate please!

You may need to reread the great commission. Do you remember the part about teaching whatsoever things Jesus taught them?

Sure do. Don't remember any part about labeling those who preach salvation by grace through faith in Christ alone (and also preach tithing) as heretics. Maybe you're right, though, I better go back and check again. After all, perhaps you have discovered something no one else ever has...

Naw. Don't think so. I'm good.

You're being dishonest. I never said they were heretics. I said they had no business preaching the Gospel.

The Gospel is important. It doesn't included someone purposely lying about God and money to get others to support their ministry. Which is pretty much the reason the tithe is being preached.

Well, at least we know what happened to Randle McMurphey.

praise_yeshua said:
rsc2a said:
praise_yeshua said:
Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:

No. I am not aware of thousands and thousands of churches that do not preach tithing and support a full time "pastor".

Go ahead and list a few thousand. I do t personally know of but a few. Less than 10. In fact, I don't know but one IFB church that doesn't preach tithing. Even though they say tithing is a Good Straight..... which is pretty much teaching tithing.
Well, for starters, look at virtually every Presbyterian and Lutheran church.

We tithe, no issue here with the tithe.

My issue is when the pastor mishandles the money that is given.

rsc2a said:
praise_yeshua said:
rsc2a said:
praise_yeshua said:
Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:

Well, for starters, look at virtually every Presbyterian and Lutheran church.

Agan. You don't know what you're talking about. Provide evidence supporting your claim.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/most-evangelical-leaders-say-tithe-not-required-by-bible-49744/

rsc2a said:

Do you even read what you post. I said earlier that those that teach the tithe as a good beginning are practically teaching tithing. If you read the link you posted, the survey clearly deals with that same issue.

Also, whyvare considering some obscure evangelical survey to represent the entirety Presbyterian and Lutheran churches?  You're the NUT that said it. I didn't. Go tell mom it's time for cheetos and tater chips.

I see you still haven't figured it that whole "fruit of the spirit" thing. I'm genuinely curious...you claim to be a Jesus follower. Are we ever going to see any evidence of that?

rsc2a said:
I see you still haven't figured it that whole "fruit of the spirit" thing. I'm genuinely curious...you claim to be a Jesus follower. Are we ever going to see any evidence of that?

Jesus, by the Spirit, called people liars and theives. Through the Spirit.....Paul called people accursed. I call you a NUT and you want to whine. Typical liberal.

praise_yeshua said:
Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:
IFB X-Files said:
praise_yeshua said:

This is incorrect.  The Bible itself tells us what the Gospel is in the opening verses of I Cor 15.

Churches do need to preach the whole counsel of God - the entire body of revealed truth, but that is not the gospel.

Really? You do realize that Paul said.more than just what's written in 1 Corinthians 15. His entire discourse in the book of    Romans is the Gospel he preached. So was Galatians, Colossians..... Etc.

You make void the word of God with your silly traditions. Truth is Truth. It comes from God to Humanity. This is the Good News of Jesus Christ.

The entire body of revealed truth is just that -- the whole counsel of God.  It should be preached, but it is not the gospel.  Baptism is part of that revealed truth, but God writes that the gospel to be separate from baptism, which rather gives the lie to your position that the gospel is all revealed truth.

Baptism is a picture of the gospel, not separate from it.

rsc2a said:
Baptism is a picture of the gospel, not separate from it.
Then if one is not baptized, is there a partial, incomplete gospel?

Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:
Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:
IFB X-Files said:
praise_yeshua said:

The entire body of revealed truth is just that -- the whole counsel of God.  It should be preached, but it is not the gospel.  Baptism is part of that revealed truth, but God writes that the gospel to be separate from baptism, which rather gives the lie to your position that the gospel is all revealed truth.

Prove it. The words you reference are greatly misunderstood in the KJV.

Paul clearly says he baptised others according to the demands of the Gospel. His primary focus was not the Baptism of John. Which is exactly what he was referencing.