What are you reading?

I just bought the Apologetics Study Bible, and I'm currently  reading thru the notes and articles in it.

Not anything biblically related at the moment: "The 4 hour work week: live anywhere and join the new rich"

Just finished: Amazing Grace, by Kathleen Norris

Currently reading:

The Oxford History of Christianity

Jesus: A New Vision, by Marcus Borg

I don't know what's next. It'll likely depend on my mood.

Recently finished these three:

IAmLegend.jpg

WeDontDoGod.jpg

BlackJesus.jpg

Currently reading these two:

Aquinas.png

RykenKJV.png

Paul for everyone - NT Wright

Cambridge Bible Commentary:

Isaiah 1-39
Revelation

World Aflame - Billy Graham

Facing Hell - John Wenham

Rethinking Worldview - J Mark Bertrand.

Reading all them bit by bit at once.

wheatpenny said:
I just bought the Apologetics Study Bible, and I'm currently  reading thru the notes and articles in it.

I own that. For some reason I haven't read it for a while. But it is very good. I like that the study notes argue points instead of just stating them as fact.

Currently Reading:
  • Deep & Wide by Andy Stanley
  • Multiply by Francis Chan
  • Vertical Church by James MacDonald

~Counseling:How to Counsel Biblically~John MacArthur
~Ephesians: Our Immeasurable Blessing in Christ~Also John MacArthur

Didn't John MacArthur leave the blood out of his sermons/books?

graceandtruth said:
Currently Reading:

How is Vertical Church? Thought about buying it, but hesitant because of MacDonald, the Elephant Room and Jakes!

Currently reading The Church Awakening by Swindoll and The Harbinger!

Tarheel Baptist said:
graceandtruth said:
Currently Reading:

How is Vertical Church? Thought about buying it, but hesitant because of MacDonald, the Elephant Room and Jakes!

Currently reading The Church Awakening by Swindoll and The Harbinger!

Vertical Church is pretty good.  It challenges our ideas of "church" without the manifest presence of God.  It is a call for us to meet with the intention of not only meeting with one another but also meeting with and worshiping God.

I am definitely not a Jakes fan and understand your hesitancy.  You can get a bit if a summary of it through two messages preached by MacDonald at Fellowship Bible Church in the series Magnetic for free (which is always good) .  This link will take you there http://fellowshiproswell.org/series/magnetic/?ctg=main-service.  The whole series preached by Crawford Loritts was excellent.

Sherryh said:
Didn't John MacArthur leave the blood out of his sermons/books?

Wow Sherry, what a hornet's nest.  In short answer, No.  I do think he made an irrational so called educated statement once and has had to backpedal since.  I read a lot of his commentaries and don't agree with everything he says, but he does know the Bible well and teaches it very well. 
I think it is best as with all things, read using all your mind.  Discern the spirits. 
I also believe there was an IFB war cry against him that was and still is a little on the extreme.  "BRAND the HERETIC!!!" 
I think they love to hate him more than the pope.  I would not judge anyone for wanting to read his materials or not.

I was just asking from years ago...........Good to know he knew better!! Thank you duck  :)

Strengthening your Marriage by Wayne Mack.  The conversation and personal study the book asks of you is very good no matter what stage your marriage is in.

Tempted and Tried by Russell Moore.  Wow - in a good challenging sort of way.

Left Behind - I was always told it was bad - not sure why.  Went ahead and read it.  Pretty good read and still not sure why it was frowned on.

graceandtruth said:
Anyone reading any good books by IFB authors?

I'm reading a book by a Mormon.