What I saw in church this week..............

fishinnut said:
Just my own thoughts. But I do attend a big, big city non-dom church & have talked with number of former IFB including & IFB college grads & even preachers that refer to each others as "recovering IFB."

People change, for whatever reason.  That doesn't mean they are right or wrong.

Take myself.  I've changed.

I no longer wear a tie with my hospital gown when I go to chapel.

So shoot me.

fishinnut said:
Just my own thoughts. But I do attend a big, big city non-dom church & have talked with number of former IFB including & IFB college grads & even preachers that refer to each others as "recovering IFB."
They're just parroting Mark Lowry.

RAIDER said:
LongGone said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
The Bible says to praise the LORD in the dance in two different places. How many times does God have to say something before we practice it?

Psa 149:3  Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psa 150:4  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

People see nothing wrong with explaining away God's Word when they don't agree with the LORD.

Was this for the OT Jew or the NT church or both?

If one says that:

Mal 3:8  Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Mal 3:9  Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
Mal 3:10  Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Mal 3:11  And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:12  And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:13  Your words have been stout against me, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against thee?
Mal 3:14  Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the LORD of hosts?
Mal 3:15  And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.
The Book of Remembrance
Mal 3:16  Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
Mal 3:17  And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
Mal 3:18  Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

applies to Christians today than then yes we should be dancing in our worship and praise services.

We do find giving in the New Testament.

I don't care whether people dance or not when they worship but at this point it sounds like you are grasping at straws to explain away this verse.

Explain away which verse?

The verses in Psalms that deal with dancing and worship. Do you take the 23rd Psalm and ask if it was for OT Jew or NT Christian? If you believe tithing is for the NT Christian you can only get that from the OT. That fact the NT talks about giving is not the same as saying you should tithe.

fishinnut said:
Walt said:
16KJV11 said:
All non denominational churches come from somewhere and most sheep couldn't care less where or what as  long as the entertainment, programs and the atmosphere is right.

The words of Jesus Christ:

My sheep HEAR MY VOICE, and THEY FOLLOW ME.

Sounds like these people are following entertainment or self, but not Jesus.
Hogwash......maybe they are tired of the same-old-same-old IFB culture. You know scandals, Schaaps or senseless fights over dress, versions preferences & music preferences.

You forgot hair length.  ;)

Didn't mean to step  on your feelings.

For what it's worth, I've been there; I was in an IFB church that was man-centered, and pushed the leader's preferences as "standards"; where "soul-winning" was shallow and everyone was expected to go cold-calling; where leaders were committing embezzlement and adultery - I'm happy to be free from that environment; I've examined much of what was crammed into me; nevertheless, but I still believe that the Bible says much about how we dress and about the music that honors Him.

Certainly some people, fed up with the scandals, are abandoning IFB churches.  As Tom Brennan said, they have the right and soul liberty to do so, but I think they are making a wrong choice.  The IFB teaching is not deeply flawed, but there are bad churches and evil men.

LongGone said:
RAIDER said:
LongGone said:
RAIDER said:

I don't care whether people dance or not when they worship but at this point it sounds like you are grasping at straws to explain away this verse.

The verses in Psalms that deal with dancing and worship. Do you take the 23rd Psalm and ask if it was for OT Jew or NT Christian? If you believe tithing is for the NT Christian you can only get that from the OT. That fact the NT talks about giving is not the same as saying you should tithe.

The NT command is to give; as we're under grace, should we not do more than the law and give above 10%?

I'm at church walking up to the wall of sinks to wash my hands in the restroom & I see a gentlemen washing his hands. This guy happens to be a billionaire. I greet him by name & tell him good morning. He says good morning. I turn toward the paper towel dispenser & this guy is standing there waiting with paper towels in his hands hands & say, "You might need these." He just turned & left.

fishinnut said:
I'm at church walking up to the wall of sinks to wash my hands in the restroom & I see a gentlemen washing his hands. This guy happens to be a billionaire. I greet him by name & tell him good morning. He says good morning. I turn toward the paper towel dispenser & this guy is standing there waiting with paper towels in his hands hands & say, "You might need these." He just turned & left.

More importantly, was he wearing a suit coat and tie and did he have a tapered hair cut?

Walt said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:
16KJV11 said:
All non denominational churches come from somewhere and most sheep couldn't care less where or what as  long as the entertainment, programs and the atmosphere is right.

The words of Jesus Christ:

My sheep HEAR MY VOICE, and THEY FOLLOW ME.

Sounds like these people are following entertainment or self, but not Jesus.
Hogwash......maybe they are tired of the same-old-same-old IFB culture. You know scandals, Schaaps or senseless fights over dress, versions preferences & music preferences.

You forgot hair length.  ;)

Didn't mean to step  on your feelings.

For what it's worth, I've been there; I was in an IFB church that was man-centered, and pushed the leader's preferences as "standards"; where "soul-winning" was shallow and everyone was expected to go cold-calling; where leaders were committing embezzlement and adultery - I'm happy to be free from that environment; I've examined much of what was crammed into me; nevertheless, but I still believe that the Bible says much about how we dress and about the music that honors Him.

Certainly some people, fed up with the scandals, are abandoning IFB churches.  As Tom Brennan said, they have the right and soul liberty to do so, but I think they are making a wrong choice.  The IFB teaching is not deeply flawed, but there are bad churches and evil men.

Walt, what is THE IFB teaching that is not deeply flawed...that is not basic Bible based teaching you might find in any evangelical church?

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

More importantly, was he wearing a suit coat and tie and did he have a tapered hair cut?

A Freudian slip...

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

He isn't caught up in the traditions of IFB outward trappings but his quiet servant's heart was certainly evident to me.

fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

He isn't caught up in the traditions of IFB outward trappings but his quiet servant's heart was certainly evident to me.

Oh, OK, I get it. He had not used the paper towels. He had torn them off for you. I feel a lot better now!

Baptist City Holdout said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Oh, OK, I get it. He had not used the paper towels. He had torn them off for you. I feel a lot better now!
So sorry if I did not make it clear. Yes he had already used the paper towels he needed for his hands and tore off additional paper towels for me to use.

fishinnut said:

She didn't need coffee.

http://foreverymom.com/faith/why-the-church-doesnt-need-any-more-coffee-bars-kimberli-lira/

hell_zpspey3szuk.jpg

Walt said:
LongGone said:
RAIDER said:
LongGone said:
RAIDER said:

The NT command is to give; as we're under grace, should we not do more than the law and give above 10%?

We should give as we are led and as we are able. I don't see anything that states we should do more than what was in the law. The Sabbath was in the OT. We are under grace. Should we not do more than the law and have two Sabbath Days a week? :)

A 48 year old man who can't shake the bottle come to church.  Got a recent DUI (his third) and is about ready to lose his job b/c he can't drive a truck b/c of the DUI.  His parents have been praying for him to get right with God before he totally destroys his life.

16KJV11 said:
A 48 year old man who can't shake the bottle come to church.  Got a recent DUI (his third) and is about ready to lose his job b/c he can't drive a truck b/c of the DUI.  His parents have been praying for him to get right with God before he totally destroys his life.

Keep us posted.

Drove by Fishin's church.....

mana_zpswsc6ek1s.jpg