What Is A Standard?

Binaca Chugger

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Standards have separated Christians, Churches and Movements not only from the word, but also from each other.  Here is the question for this thread:  What is a standard?  I am not looking for a list of your standards, I am looking for what defines a standard.  How should one choose his standards?  How should they be taught to others?

I think standards are much more meaningful than simply a list of do's and don'ts.  How would you define a standard to a new convert and begin teaching them to have standards in their life?

Of course there are convictions and preferences.  I have always been taught not to compromise convictions, but always give in to others on preferences.  I think one must first determine if a standard they have is a conviction or preference.

There is no doubt there are standards taught in the Scripture.  I look at the Children of Israel and the standard of law that God gave them.  Can you imagine how odd they must have looked to those that were not Jews?  A lot of their behavior didn't make a lot of sense except it was what God required of them.

On the FFF when we bring up "standards" everyone immediately thinks of pants on women, long hair on men, movies, etc.  The truth is, all of our churches have some kind of standard.  There are things that are not issues today that will be brought to the forefront in the future.  As men become more wicked, there is a need for more preaching on Biblical standards of separation.

Each of us have some standards in our church with which someone in another church would disagree.  Your wife may wear pants, you may have long hair, and you may attend movies.  You may teach Sunday School in your church on Sunday.  You have no problems with this.  Someone else in another church may drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, do drugs and teach a Sunday School class on Sunday.  You have problems with this guy.  Does that mean you are an idiot because you have a "higher" standard? 

I believe standards are better caught than taught.

If a person is truly born again and is in pursuit of righteousness the Holy Spirit will mold and teach them.

I've seen this more than once. People will pick up and apply to thier lives what is lived in front of them as they are invited to homes to fellowship. No need to sit and instruction them. Let them see how you interact with ur wife and ur children. Don't show them on purpose trying to prove a point, let them learn from ur walk.

There was a older couple my wife and I became friends with the first year of our marriage. We were at there house at least 2 to 3 times a month. They had kids later in life. Never did they sit a instruct but we just played board games and had fun. But we seen the way the interacted with each other and seen their life. As we seen them live we began to apply things they had in place.

Once a month after they put their kids to bed they would play a full game of monopoly. That said volumes to me.

Standards are better caught than taught.

Bruh said:

If a person is truly born again and is in pursuit of righteousness the Holy Spirit will mold and teach them.

I've seen this more than once. People will pick up and apply to thier lives what is lived in front of them as they are invited to homes to fellowship. No need to sit and instruction them. Let them see how you interact with ur wife and ur children. Don't show them on purpose trying to prove a point, let them learn from ur walk.

There was a older couple my wife and I became friends with the first year of our marriage. We were at there house at least 2 to 3 times a month. They had kids later in life. Never did they sit a instruct but we just played board games and had fun. But we seen the way the interacted with each other and seen their life. As we seen them live we began to apply things they had in place.

Once a month after they put their kids to bed they would play a full game of monopoly. That said volumes to me.

So, you are saying that a standard is simply your environment?

RAIDER said:
Of course there are convictions and preferences.  I have always been taught not to compromise convictions, but always give in to others on preferences.  I think one must first determine if a standard they have is a conviction or preference.

On the FFF when we bring up "standards" everyone immediately thinks of pants on women, long hair on men, movies, etc.  The truth is, all of our churches have some kind of standard.  There are things that are not issues today that will be brought to the forefront in the future.  As men become more wicked, there is a need for more preaching on Biblical standards of separation.

I believe everyone has some standard.  You are correct that this word "Standards" brings up a huge argument from anyone that grew up in our movement.  Some respond with intense anger at the word while others are in love with the word and will fight to defend it.  With all of the attention, how do you actually define "standards?"  I believe this must be our starting point.  We must have the same definition of what a standard is before we start arguing which to have, how to teach them and when to judge others by them.

Binaca Chugger said:
Bruh said:

So, you are saying that a standard is simply your environment?

i think that's part of it, yes.

Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

I believe everyone has some standard.  You are correct that this word "Standards" brings up a huge argument from anyone that grew up in our movement.  Some respond with intense anger at the word while others are in love with the word and will fight to defend it.  With all of the attention, how do you actually define "standards?"  I believe this must be our starting point.  We must have the same definition of what a standard is before we start arguing which to have, how to teach them and when to judge others by them.

And I would say there are inward and outward standards.

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

And I would say there are inward and outward standards.

Please elaborate.

In my career a standard is, a starting point, everyone will build a tool to the standard which is a starting point everyone will at least have this built into the tool.

A specification, is when an oil company adds to the standard making it better, so they say. LOL! :) a specification is ALWAYS debatable but every tool SHALL start with the standard.

A standard is acceptable to all but not a specification, a specification is, per. the oil company.

Binaca Chugger said:
Standards have separated Christians, Churches and Movements not only from the word, but also from each other.  Here is the question for this thread:  What is a standard?  I am not looking for a list of your standards, I am looking for what defines a standard.  How should one choose his standards?  How should they be taught to others?

I think standards are much more meaningful than simply a list of do's and don'ts.  How would you define a standard to a new convert and begin teaching them to have standards in their life?

Ok here is my take on a standard.

A standard is that which is acceptable to a particular group of individuals.

Here are a couple of definitions.

STANDARD

1. That which is established by sovereign power as a rule or measure by which others are to be adjusted. Thus the Winchester bushel is the standard of measures in Great Britain, and is adopted in the United States as their standard. So of weights and of long measure.

2. That which is established as a rule or model, by the authority of public opinion, or by respectable opinions, or by custom or general consent; as writings which are admitted to be the standard of style and taste. Homers Iliad is the standard of heroic poetry. Demosthenes and Cicero are the standards of oratory. Of modern eloquence, we have an excellent standard in the speeches of lord Chatham. Addisons writings furnish a good standard of pure, chaste and elegant English stayle. It is not an easy thing to erect a standard of taste.

I think we would all agree that our standards should be based on a Biblical verse or principle.  We could also say that Jesus is our standard.  He is the blueprint for our lives.

I know that people have different ideas when it comes to "WWJD?".

Standards are simply guidelines against which behavior or etiquette is governed. They vary depending on the circumstance, culture, or company.

Friends of mine run a missions board. They went overseas (I forgot which country) to visit some missionaries. The wife came into the church, and placed her Bible on the floor while she took off her coat. The members were shocked because to them, placing a Bible on the floor for any reason was a symbol of disrespect.

In Japanese homes, it is a cultural standard to remove one's shoes upon entering another's home.

So standards are things that will vary depending on the immediate circumstances one finds himself.

Smellin Coffee said:
So standards are things that will vary depending on the immediate circumstances one finds himself.

Unless it is a Biblical standard which does not change.

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Yes, for by Grace are ye saved, not of works least any man should boast. Always save by Grace. Never changes.

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Yes, for by Grace are ye saved, not of works least any man should boast. Always save by Grace. Never changes.

Exactly!  If I went to India and they said I needed to pray to a wooden calf to go to Heaven, I would not, regardless of their custom.

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Exactly!  If I went to India and they said I needed to pray to a wooden calf to go to Heaven, I would not, regardless of their custom.

Unless JH was Indian.

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

That would be considered the 'religious culture'. I don't know about the Koran but I'm sure there are people who create standards from them, claiming them to be of God.

The issue I have about setting up 'Biblical standards' is not the idea of there being an absolute, but rather we create standards out of our relative position of choice. Unless one is a psychopath, I find it hard to believe that Christian and non-Christian alike would consider "Do not murder" to be a biblical standard by which we all should live. But there is a caveat where we relatively determine what 'murder' really is. Some would say abortion is murder. Some would say war is murder. Some would say capital punishment is murder. All have basis within the Bible and involving 'biblical standard'.

So it isn't as cut-and-dried as stating "Biblical standard does not change." It probably doesn't but our perception and interpretation of how that plays out can change.

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

That would be considered the 'religious culture'. I don't know about the Koran but I'm sure there are people who create standards from them, claiming them to be of God.

The issue I have about setting up 'Biblical standards' is not the idea of there being an absolute, but rather we create standards out of our relative position of choice. Unless one is a psychopath, I find it hard to believe that Christian and non-Christian alike would consider "Do not murder" to be a biblical standard by which we all should live. But there is a caveat where we relatively determine what 'murder' really is. Some would say abortion is murder. Some would say war is murder. Some would say capital punishment is murder. All have basis within the Bible and involving 'biblical standard'.

So it isn't as cut-and-dried as stating "Biblical standard does not change." It probably doesn't but our perception and interpretation of how that plays out can change.

That's why this verse is so important:

1 Corinthians 2:14

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."