What would a Calvinist do if he found out "freewill" exists?

C

christundivided

I've often thought of why Calvinist believe what they believe....... I've come to the conclusion, that has something do with providing a theological "crutch" for themselves.

They can say what they want, but I think its rather obvious that if it ever really "dawned on them" that have a freewill, they might just get very scared of their position in Christ.

What do you think a Calvinist would do if he realized..... he actually had a freewill?

Would they need a Valium? Or maybe a Ambien? :)

I never denied a free will.

christundivided said:
I've often thought of why Calvinist believe what they believe....... I've come to the conclusion, that has something do with providing a theological "crutch" for themselves.

They can say what they want, but I think its rather obvious that if it ever really "dawned on them" that have a freewill, they might just get very scared of their position in Christ.

What do you think a Calvinist would do if he realized..... he actually had a freewill?

Would they need a Valium? Or maybe a Ambien? :)
They know freewill exists. Most will admit it. Imho, from  my small corner of the world, they feel because God has the ability to look forward in the future to see what will happen, and have some manipulation into the circumstances, therefore steering one person this or that way, that must mean everything is orchestrated. And he's orchestrated everyone's salvation or demise. Except they seem to shy away from admitting the latter for some reason. Truth is, much of it is orchestrated, if i can use a wordly term here... and all of it will play out within Gods will somehow.

In the end, Calvinism is a man made philosophy... such as all the others.. which is trying to be pushed into the bible. We won't know all the nitty gritty until we get to heaven anyhow so why bother dwelling on it. The ending never appears expedient. On this forum or in the churches I've heard about personally. We want to draw people to Christ, not send them away. No matter which side of this issue your on

They would find out that God did not create their children to send to hell. 

Bruh said:

Son, I want you to know that hell might be your home and you won't be able to do a damn thing about it.
Calvinist Dad

.tim said:
Bruh said:

Son, I want you to know that hell might be your home and you won't be able to do a damn thing about it.
Calvinist Dad

Then why did you get mom pregnant?
- Son.

Same reason I lost the car in that dice game.  Just a gamble son, just a gamble. 
Calvinist Dad.

Bruh said:
.tim said:
Bruh said:

Calvinist Dad

Then why did you get mom pregnant?
- Son.

Same reason I lost the car in that dice game.  Just a gamble son, just a gamble. 
Calvinist Dad.

I thought you said God loved the world?
Son

He does son, just not everything on it.
Calvinist Dad

Can my "free will" ever overrule the sovereignty of God, or lets say it another way...can my "free will" ever trump God's will?

Gonna go make some popcorn while you free willy heretics figure this out.    8)

Billy said:
Can my "free will" ever overrule the sovereignty of God, or lets say it another way...can my "free will" ever trump God's will?

Is it God's will that you sin, as a Christian?

Mathew Ward said:
Billy said:

Did God ordain that Jesus be betrayed by the instrument of Judas's treachery?
Did God ordain that the perfect Son of God give His life in the greatest sinful act ever committed?

Billy said:

I don't know about overruling him ... but ...

God "wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." according 1 Timothy 2:4. But, obviously, not everyone wants God.

In Genesis 6:6 God "was sorry he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain." It seems that if humans didn't sin, or be so evil, God wouldn't have flooded the earth.

What about prayer? "And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?" Luke 18:7. We learn about the widow who kept bugging the judge. We pray and sometimes God hears our pray and helps us ... according to his will ... yes ... but if we didn't pray what would have happened?

Eve could have said no to the snake. Jesus came to earth to prove he could live life and say "no" to the evil one. Was not Jesus, God in Flesh, ever persuaded to walk right when he was thinking of walking left? He was human, is it a sin to change your mind?

I believe we all have a choice in life. All of us. We choose God, or we choose self. God wanted Eve to say no to that snake, but she said yes. She could have changed history.

Billy said:

Nope.

Do you have a point to your question?

Billy said:
Mathew Ward said:
Billy said:

Did God ordain that Jesus be betrayed by the instrument of Judas's treachery?
Did God ordain that the perfect Son of God give His life in the greatest sinful act ever committed?

Dodge.....

No. Its i not God's will that we sin, as a Christian. All the examples you gave have no influence on this fact. He was made sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. I'm certain you know this verse.

.tim said:
Billy said:

God "wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." according 1 Timothy 2:4. But, obviously, not everyone wants God.

In Genesis 6:6 God "was sorry he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain." It seems that if humans didn't sin, or be so evil, God wouldn't have flooded the earth.

What about prayer? "And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?" Luke 18:7. We learn about the widow who kept bugging the judge. We pray and sometimes God hears our pray and helps us ... according to his will ... yes ... but if we didn't pray what would have happened?

Eve could have said no to the snake. Jesus came to earth to prove he could live life and say "no" to the evil one. Was not Jesus, God in Flesh, ever persuaded to walk right when he was thinking of walking left? He was human, is it a sin to change your mind?

I believe we all have a choice in life. All of us. We choose God, or we choose self. God wanted Eve to say no to that snake, but she said yes. She could have changed history.

So, you can trump God....

God has complete control over His creation...that includes you.  EVERYTHING that He created He controls.  Looking at our lives from our earthly view it can give us the belief that we through our devices we control our lives, but may I remind you the scriptures tell us that even our very steps are ordered by Him....so think about that next time you walk down the street.

christundivided said:
Billy said:

Nope.

Besides trying to enlighten your understanding of the Sovereignty of God...nope kinda useless.

Billy said:
.tim said:
Billy said:

So, you can trump God....

God has complete control over His creation...that includes you.  EVERYTHING that He created He controls.  Looking at our lives from our earthly view it can give us the belief that we through our devices we control our lives, but may I remind you the scriptures tell us that even our very steps are ordered by Him....so think about that next time you walk down the street.

So if I walk down the street, step into a bar, drink until I almost pass out, sleep with a girl I meet ... this is from God?

Proverbs 20:24 says "The Lord decides what a person will do; no one understands what his life is all about."

Is this your text? ESV text says "A man's steps are from the LORD"

I remember awhile back I started doing something that was wrong. I felt guilty and knew I shouldn't be doing such and such. I changed and felt much better. I knew I was doing wrong since the LORD directed me in a better way - the lords steps are always a better way and we should walk in them.

I believe this text in short is simply saying "The Lords way is better, do it"

Billy said:
christundivided said:
Billy said:

Nope.

Besides trying to enlighten your understanding of the Sovereignty of God...nope kinda useless.

There's been a lot of evil in the world attributed to the "Sovereignty of God". You do your Master disservice.

Reformed Guy said:
What would a Calvinist do if he found out "freewill" exists?

He would affirm a confession that affirmed the existence of "freewill."

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/wcf.htm#chap9

Ah... the old bait and switch.

You say you believe in freewill but you really don't. This is a long been a staple of Calvinist's inane teaching.

V. The will of man is made perfectly and immutably free to do good alone in the state of glory only.

Deceptive.... to say the least.

christundivided said:
Billy said:
christundivided said:
Billy said:

Nope.

There's been a lot of evil in the world attributed to the "Sovereignty of God". You do your Master disservice.

He ordained the greatest evil committed by man.