Who's who in HACindom

Citadel of Truth

Elect
Reaction score
[list type=decimal]
[*]Who, in your opinion, is the "best known" graduate of HAC?
[*]Who, in your opinion, is the most "successful" (ministry-wise)?
[*]Who, in your opinion, had the most potential but turned out to be a dud? 
[/list]

I am going to give my opinions on the above questions, but realize that I am far removed from HAC. It has been decades since I was there.

1. Because of all of the media coverage surrounding his arrest and conviction, I would have to list Jack Schaap as the "best known."

2. I'm not sure this man is a graduate, but I know he had connections to FBCH and HAC. Rick Martin, missionary to the Philippines is who I would list as the most "successful."

3. Larry Bullard and Stan Harris are tied for number 3. 

Citadel of Truth said:
[list type=decimal]
[/list]

I am going to give my opinions on the above questions, but realize that I am far removed from HAC. It has been decades since I was there.

1. Because of all of the media coverage surrounding his arrest and conviction, I would have to list Jack Schaap as the "best known."

2. I'm not sure this man is a graduate, but I know he had connections to FBCH and HAC. Rick Martin, missionary to the Philippines is who I would list as the most "successful."

1)  You have to be correct on this one.

2)  I would also agree with your number 2.  If we define "successful" in doing that which we were taught at HAC you would also probably have to include Gomez and Gray.

3)  If we define "dud" as someone who is doing differently than we were taught at HAC I would also agree with your answers.

I'm guessing that answers would vary depending on the years one attended HAC. 

Citadel of Truth said:
[list type=decimal]
[/list]

1. I would agree, sadly, that Schaap is the answer.

2. The answer (in my book) would be Dave Nelms...pastored a huge church in south Florida and resigned to go full time in The Timothy Initiative  a very successful and world-wide missions endeavor.
http://www.ttionline.org/

Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
[list type=decimal]
[/list]

2. The answer (in my book) would be Dave Nelms...pastored a huge church in south Florida and resigned to go full time in The Timothy Initiative  a very successful and world-wide missions endeavor.

I had thought of Nelms.  I defined "successful" ministry wise as someone who was of the same mindset as FBCH.  Nelms definitely would not fit in that mold.  :)

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
[list type=decimal]
[/list]

I had thought of Nelms.  I defined "successful" ministry wise as someone who was of the same mindset as FBCH.  Nelms definitely would not fit in that mold.  :)

That would certainly narrow the definition of 'success'.
No, he would not fit that mold....if he did chances are I would not know who he is.... :)

I think it would be even more interesting to go through the old yearbooks and compare the Who's Who with what they have actually accomplished in ministry over decades. I know I misjudged some people in my time there, men who turned out to have a lot more capability than I thought at the time, and some men who clearly had less or at least didn't have the character to last over the long term.

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
[list type=decimal]
[/list]

If successful as coming to a church and changing the direction of the way the church was going....that would be Nelms!

kaba said:
If successful as coming to a church and changing the direction of the way the church was going....that would be Nelms!

If success is starting a church and changing the direction YOU are going.....that would be Capaci.

RAIDER said:
If success is starting a church and changing the direction YOU are going.....that would be Capaci.

Out of curiosity, was there any indications of this direction in his days at HAC? Was his change a total shock to those who knew him or was it more "I'm not surprised in the least"? 

Citadel of Truth said:
RAIDER said:

Out of curiosity, was there any indications of this direction in his days at HAC? Was his change a total shock to those who knew him or was it more "I'm not surprised in the least"?

He was after my time at HAC.  Those that knew him say they weren't surprised.  He started a church and college that were a little bit to the left of HAC.  In the last 4 years he has changed at an alarming rate.

RAIDER said:
Citadel of Truth said:
RAIDER said:

He was after my time at HAC.  Those that knew him say they weren't surprised.  He started a church and college that were a little bit to the left of HAC.  In the last 4 years he has changed at an alarming rate.

He was there during my time. He has always been about the show

I think (yes...once in a while, I actually do) that many of us may be surprised when we get to Heaven and see  who gets the most crowns. 

I believe that many names will not even be recognized by most people. 

There are HAC graduates all over the country who just serve God in their corner of the world and have for years without hoopla and fame. They spend time ministering to their congregation and community, living modestly, witnessing daily, and preaching and teaching the Bible week after week. 

Teri in NC said:
I think (yes...once in a while, I actually do) that many of us may be surprised when we get to Heaven and see  who gets the most crowns. 

Crowns for teeth? That might explain the desire to bite off so many pickle ends...

RAIDER said:
Citadel of Truth said:
RAIDER said:

I know Dave well.
He is, to my knowledge and experience, a man of passion for Christ and compassion for the lost.
He is a capable preacher...but I have seen his wife wear pants!  :eek: