Beverly Hyles Passed

RAIDER said:
Jo said:
I thought Mrs. Hyles was a lovely and gracious woman.

It would make me very happy if I could believe that her husband was faithful to her.  In my opinion, there are too many people, including their daughter, who have nothing to gain by telling their stories.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I watched their daughter's video a couple of year's ago.  We actually had a thread about it.  She told several obvious bold face lies.  She lost total credibility at that time.

I remember that thread and I was one of many who pointed out the lies, misstatements and extreme hyperbole in Linda's Ted Talk.

However, it was the testimony of the Nischik children (that I first read in Sumner's article) that convinced me that Dr Hyles had not been faithful to his wife. In hindsight many shared my conclusions because Dr Hyles legacy was irreparable after that. And the fortune of the ministries in Hammond have yet to recover.

Twisted said:
She was a sweet lady.

How she put up with Jack amazes me.

I never had the opportunity to meet her, but many people say that she was very sweet.

RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
She was a sweet lady.

How she put up with Jack amazes me.

Maybe everything you have heard about "Jack" is not true.  Just saying.......

In my opinion, she came from the old-school time when a wife supported her husband, no matter what.

Whether I agree with that point of view doesn't matter at the moment, but she carried on and held that tradition.

qwerty said:
bgwilkinson said:
qwerty said:
That her "father was a rich man".

This is certainly true.
Every day I generally come across one thing really stupid posted on the internet.... Today, it's you.

I dispute this - I do think Hyles was "rich" (a  relative term, to be sure - all Americans are "rich" to people in 3rd world countries.

But consider Hyles Publications - totally controlled by Hyles, yet he claimed tax exemption as a church ministry.  Hyles claimed to have sold 12 million books - books that sell from $2 to $16.  Even assuming the average is $4 per book, that's $48 million in income - totally without accountability.  That is $48 over the life of Hyles publications -- if it had been in business for 25 years, that's nearly $2 million a year.  In addition, it was reported that the tape club took in $500,000 to $750,000 a year, too -- also totally controlled by Hyles with no accountability.

I consider that "rich".

He was generous towards his friends, and I suspect much of that money came from either the Tape Club or Hyles Publications.

I absolutely agree with Walt! I also agree with previous comments about the governing of accounts. If someone tells me that if I pursue an audit of accounts that they will leave, etc., you can bet I'm all for an audit--TO THE LAST PENNY! I know that I, and the majority, consider that a HUGE red flag, if not an admission of guilt of some kind! I remember a thread, a while back, about Mrs. Hyles asking about Hyles Publications after Jack died. I believe I recall that JS told her that she was not entitled to that money and that she was very upset. It seems that there was not care and planning,for Mrs. Hyles benefit on the part of her husband. Regardless of what FBCH might have offered as some sort of "widow's benefit", it could be quite a frightening and unfair situation for Mrs. Hyles! I've recently seen, on the internet, that "Hyles Publications" has been run out of Florida. If it is a church ministry--not taxable, then how has it moved to Florida, or anywhere else?

RAIDER said:
Jo said:
I thought Mrs. Hyles was a lovely and gracious woman.

It would make me very happy if I could believe that her husband was faithful to her.  In my opinion, there are too many people, including their daughter, who have nothing to gain by telling their stories.

I watched their daughter's video a couple of year's ago.  We actually had a thread about it.  She told several obvious bold face lies.  She lost total credibility at that time.

I remember watching the video, and noting a couple of wrong statements.  I did think that it was unfortunate, because the thrust of what she was trying to get across was probably true, but telling falsehoods certainly hurt her credibility.

The following things are items that made me wonder.
1-The statement that there were 50,000 members (note: she didn't say that all 50,000 tithed - her statement was that the money was pretty good - tithes and offerings from 50,000 people)
2-The statement that her father "owned" all of the property; while I'm sure he controlled it, it was in the name of FBCH. But he ran FBCH, so in most ways, he was like the owner
3-He died a multi-millionaire?
4-He left everything to the church?
5-I noted that she had words of praise for her therapist, but none for God

sawthruglassclearly said:
I absolutely agree with Walt! I also agree with previous comments about the governing of accounts. If someone tells me that if I pursue an audit of accounts that they will leave, etc., you can bet I'm all for an audit--TO THE LAST PENNY! I know that I, and the majority, consider that a HUGE red flag, if not an admission of guilt of some kind! I remember a thread, a while back, about Mrs. Hyles asking about Hyles Publications after Jack died. I believe I recall that JS told her that she was not entitled to that money and that she was very upset. It seems that there was not care and planning,for Mrs. Hyles benefit on the part of her husband. Regardless of what FBCH might have offered as some sort of "widow's benefit", it could be quite a frightening and unfair situation for Mrs. Hyles! I've recently seen, on the internet, that "Hyles Publications" has been run out of Florida. If it is a church ministry--not taxable, then how has it moved to Florida, or anywhere else?
Mrs Hyles' care was actually spelled out before JH died, in public services, and as a study series on Wed. evenings.
She was well cared for.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

I assume that "cared for" refers to FBCH's offering her some benefit. "Public services" and "a series of, was it Wednesday night studies"? I have no idea what that actually means, or if she could take that to the bank. Given her situation in early 2001 and her age then, she must have had some concerns about her financial future. Being "well cared for" doesn't necessarily mean that she had enough money to take care of herself AND if there was money that was rightfully hers and it was suddenly spirited away by church leadership, then that would've been a travesty! I sincerely hope that she was well cared for, but what I REALLY hope, is that JH had a will and that he cared enough about her to spell out her care and comfort! It was my experience that when the church said that they would "take care of you", what that really meant was that they would barely sustain you, hold it over your head and dictate your actions and responsibilities. If you fell out of favor, then they pulled the "care" and you had no job, no house, no car, and no prospects! Again, a very frightening place to be!

I'm not a fan, believe me.

Here's the thing, at his funeral his wife got up and said, Jack Hyles was the best Christian she ever knew. She went on to say, everything that he taught continue doing those things.

Did Jack Hyles in any way shape or form outwardly cheat in his wife? I don't know. But this I know, his wife sure sang his praises behind the pulpit at his funeral. She didn't have to do that, she didn't have to getup and say what she said.

If he did cheat, I'm sure she never knew about it, to get up there and say what she said.

Bruh said:

Here's the thing, at his funeral his wife got up and said, Jack Hyles was the best Christian she ever knew. She went on to say, everything that he taught continue doing those things.

Did Jack Hyles in any way shape or form outwardly cheat in his wife? I don't know. But this I know, his wife sure sang his praises behind the pulpit at his funeral. She didn't have to do that, she didn't have to getup and say what she said.

If he did cheat, I'm sure she never knew about it, to get up there and say what she said.

On the other hand, she promptly left FBCH and then joined an SBC church, which Hyles preached pretty hard against.  Her actions are a repudiation of his teachings.

I have talked to too many people and seen too many things.  I witnessed a popular  IFB pastor pull out a wad of bills out of his pocket after a Sunday evening service. I've witnessed the lack of accountability in the IFB for decades.  I heard him pound the pulpit and say to thousands of people in the congregation, "King Jack rules here."  What you call bold face lies, to me, are hyperbole. You are shooting the messenger. 

Jack Hyles traveled and spoke to numerous churches during his life, always selling his books. If the man was not rich, he should have been.

I suspect that Linda's early years were ruled by King Jack, also.

Personally I was never all that impressed with Beverly...but seriously does anyone know whether Dave might have pushed her down some stairs accidentally?

Walt said:
Bruh said:

On the other hand, she promptly left FBCH and then joined an SBC church, which Hyles preached pretty hard against.  Her actions are a repudiation of his teachings.

While what you say is true, I believe there could have been 2 other reasons she moved to Texas. First of all she had a daughter there who had physical problems. She may have wanted to help and be a blessing to her. Secondly, she may have wanted to allow Cindy to be the pastor's wife and she knew as long as she was there it would be more difficult for this to happen. Just a couple of thoughts.

RAIDER said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

While what you say is true, I believe there could have been 2 other reasons she moved to Texas. First of all she had a daughter there who had physical problems. She may have wanted to help and be a blessing to her. Secondly, she may have wanted to allow Cindy to be the pastor's wife and she knew as long as she was there it would be more difficult for this to happen. Just a couple of thoughts.

She promptly left, yes.

My wife and I agree probably on most if not everything. But there are some things we may agree on but she may feel more strongly about it than I do.

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

She promptly left, yes.

My wife and I agree probably on most if not everything. But there are some things we may agree on but she may feel more strongly about it than I do.

"promptly left"... not sure what your definition of "promptly" is, but she was there for 2 years before she left.... if memory serves correctly, it was about the time that everything hit the fan for js for the first time.... this time by Tom Neal regarding his teachings on tithing

WESLEY said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

She promptly left, yes.

"promptly left"... not sure what your definition of "promptly" is, but she was there for 2 years before she left.... if memory serves correctly, it was about the time that everything hit the fan for js for the first time.... this time by Tom Neal regarding his teachings on tithing

Walt said promptly. I was just responding, I have no earthly idea of the time frame.

Bruh said:

Are you completely disregarding the firsthand testimonies of both Nischik children??

Isn't it clear that Beverly had something to gain by perpetuating the image of her husband upon his death? I.e. that he had brainwashed even her to not badmouth the "greatest ministry" in history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAIDER said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

Both very valid points - but you've changed the point I was making - that she joined an SBC church - there are certainly Hyles-workshipping churches (or, if she didn't want a church that blindly followed her husband, there were non-Hyles IFB churches) in the DFW area that she could have joined.  I heard Hyles and others rant at length about the SBC, so it's a pretty obvious slap in the  face.

Phooey-dini said:
Bruh said:

Are you completely disregarding the firsthand testimonies of both Nischik children??

Isn't it clear that Beverly had something to gain by perpetuating the image of her husband upon his death? I.e. that he had brainwashed even her to not badmouth the "greatest ministry" in history.

Maybe - but maybe it was just that she was of the old-school, where a woman supported her husband, no matter what.

I have to laugh at the notion that she wouldn't have gone back home.

Her whole family is still in that area of Texas...cousins, siblings, etc.

And, the only reason JH ever said anything negative about the SBC, is, they booted him.

Of course, she was a Southern Baptist.
She was raised in an SBC church, and all of the churches they ministered in, in TX, were SBC.

This isn't rocket science, really.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk