Christmas services

voicecrying

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I see lots of Facebook and blog posts calling churches wicked (or at least somehow less than) if they aren't having services on Christmas day.

My church is having 1 service Thursday evening, 2 Friday evening, and 3 on Saturday - afternoon, evening, & night. None on Sunday.

One person invoked Hebrews 10:25, but I think that was misapplied since we are still assembling.

Makes no difference to me if churches meet on Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday or Saturday.

Mrs. abcaines and I are attending our regular church Saturday evening. There are no services Sunday. 12/25 or 1/1.

Because we are in the habit of going to church on Sunday, we decided to check out another church in town. It turns out they're not having services on Sunday morning but are having a candlelight service later that afternoon. This will work out well. We'll have our Christmas dinner early in the afternoon then head to the other church. All in all, it sounds like a delightful way to honor our Savior for His coming out of Heaven to rescue us.

There are 168 hours in the week, and they still can't help finding reasons to skip the one hour we traditionally devote to public worship.

Christmas falls on Sunday every 5-7 years. From all the hype you'd think it hasn't happened since the last time Halley's Comet blew through the neighbourhood.

I see lots of Facebook and blog posts calling churches wicked (or at least somehow less than) if they aren't having services on Christmas day.

My church is having 1 service Thursday evening, 2 Friday evening, and 3 on Saturday - afternoon, evening, & night. None on Sunday.

One person invoked Hebrews 10:25, but I think that was misapplied since we are still assembling.

Makes no difference to me if churches meet on Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday or Saturday.
Some people go way too far into the Pharisaical mindset for me. Guess they haven't understood what it meant to have liberty in Christ Jesus! Letter of the law people make me want to vomit!

I think Hebrews 10:25 is vastly abused, particularly in the way that you highlight here in this example. Having said that, there are certain trappings of reform thought that appeals to me, and the Lord's day is one of them, though I'm a bit sloppy on adherence to that whole scheme, lol. Having stepped on my own toes sufficiently, that old fundy is still alive in corners of my being, and I think the trend of churches to accommodate people's schedules and treat the whole worship experience in a consumerist mindset is an offshoot of the mega church seeker sensitive movement that becomes problematic at times.

We aren't missing anything by going to church 17 hours early. HOWEVER, because going to church on Sunday is such a habit, we would still like to go to a Sunday service. When I contacted the church we were considering, the pastor said normal morning services aren't being held so families could be together but an evening service was happening that day. Because of our plans, this schedule works perfectly for us and we get to visit a different church and fellowship with others who aren't part of "our" congregation.

no changes at the church i am a member of.... or the other church i;m a part time member of an ensemble in... ..all church services and sunday school classes will be held as usual this sunday..... ..... but that is nothing new .. both have been on the island for over 200 years... and from what i understand it has always been a tradition at both churches to attend church as usual on christmas morning when christmas falls on a sunday.... and both do extra things on those days to make it a very special service.... . ..both also have christmas eve services whether christmas is on sunday or not.....

but i am not saying that to do any kind of virtue signalling or to put a guilt trip on anyone whose church is changing times or cancelling services this sunday... ..it;s not my business to tell other people how their church should operate.... i;m just saying how mine does....

I'm home for Christmas with my family. My parents' church is holding the Sunday service a little later rather than cancel it. As far as I'm concerned, this is a perfectly acceptable compromise.

No Sunday School but regular services for us. They got me firing up my Strat.

...although I do believe a Gretsch White Falcon would be more suitable for a Christmas service!
250px-Brian_Setzer.png

There are many churches in the Northeast USA, including mine, that were going to meet on Christmas Day but then cancelled the services because of the bad weather.

The next time that December 25 falls on a Sunday is in 2033. So we have to wait until then to find out which churches are run by stinking compromisers who cancel their Christmas Day service. :cool:

We are having a service Christmas morning.
However we also cancelled our early service Christmas morning.

This way, we can criticize people and churches on both sides of this issue. 😀
Same judgmental practice here😂

Local KJVO church canceled morning services but are holding evening candlelight services tonight. What could be more ecumenical than that!?

Local KJVO church canceled morning services but are holding evening candlelight services tonight. What could be more ecumenical than that!?
It's up to each church and their congregation what to do. If they're fine with it, who am I to second guess?

Howzat eccumenical? Are they inviting Catlicks to join in with them?
Had a couple Calvary Chapel folk there, Mrs. abcaines and myself. Dat ecumenical enough? The pastor said this was the first time he's done a candlelight service.

Seriously, it was a very delightful service. Of course, the teaching was from Luke 2. Pastor compared and contrasted "this" world and "that" world. Very good teaching, very clear gospel presentation, very uplifting.

Now that Christmas is over, does anybody care to debate the controversial question of whether to cancel church services for a football game? (Super Bowl, Lemon Bowl, Oatmeal Bowl or whatever). :cool:

(Naturally, each congregation is independent and can do what they want, but you never know - when a church cancels a service, some members may go visit another church service and they just might like that other church better).