Christmas services

Many of the churches that my bride and I have attended in the past still have evening services on Sunday. Most of those are IFB churches. The SBC churches that used to...the larger ones...still have an evening service, but, as abcaines noticed, these churches have around 30% of the morning crowd. Some still feel it's not worth it. I don't see why they even show up with that attitude.

We always have a Christmas Eve service, but also had one Sunday morning as usual.
We did cancel Sunday School and Sunday night service. I'm such a compromiser, I can't stand myself! :p

I agree with Alistair Begg 100%!

Sunday morning services tend to be mostly "Theology Lite" so how do you actually BUILD a Church based upon that? Church is about feeding the flock, discipleship, fellowship, and evangelism.

In my IFB Church in San Diego, the Sunday AM services were primarily "Evangelistic" in nature and I was busy running a bus route and preaching in the "Children's Church" during that time. Sunday AM Services were therefore for people who were not yet saved or for those who were still "Spiritual Babies" who were not yet "Serving the Lord" (My messed up mentality at the time). My time for feeding, refreshing, and fellowship was therefore Sunday and Wednesday night.

Not saying the IFBx model of "Sunday Morning, Sunday Night and Wednesday Night" (or "Three to Thrive" as the "Model IFB Church in Lancaster, CA calls it) accomplishes this because for the most part, it does not!

Sitting through three services with some theological lightweight "Blow Hard" who only wants to control everything will wear you out and perhaps this is what burns many out from attending more than one service a week?

I fully sympathize with you Bro. Caines! I drove trucks for a while and even though I was home every night, I was asleep the entire time! I have Refnet on at least 3-4 hours a day and Alistair Begg is one of the featured speakers. I am also spending quite a bit of time in studying and research with the Seminary courses I am taking so I believe I am well-fed from that standpoint but that only covers the "Feeding" part. The three others: discipleship, fellowship, and evangelism, are also vital to the life of a healthy and prosperous Church family and should not be neglected!

We have "Small Group Fellowships" along with other activities to accomplish these things and to keep everyone "Connected."

It is for those who don't have to get up at the crack of dawn or earlier. By 5 or 6 pm, I'm SPENT. Even on Sunday.
I get up at 0500 to go drive a school bus and still have a Sun. night service.

Many of the churches that my bride and I have attended in the past still have evening services on Sunday. Most of those are IFB churches. The SBC churches that used to...the larger ones...still have an evening service, but, as abcaines noticed, these churches have around 30% of the morning crowd. Some still feel it's not worth it. I don't see why they even show up with that attitude.
I still remember the words of Jack Wood (Shady Acres Baptist Church, Houston TX). I considered him to be my "Pastor" in the 80s whenever I was home on leave visiting my family.

I wish I had an actual audio clip but there is not much of his preaching out there on the web (he passed away in the 90s). I am recalling from memory here:

"If you build an auditorium for your Sunday Morning crowd, you are STUPID! You are eat up with East Texas Backwoods IGNORANCE! ...Whatever that Wednesday Night crowd needs that PRAAAAAYS WIT CHA and STAAAAAAAYS WIT CHA - GIVE IT TO 'EM!!! And whatever that other crowd needs ...GIVE IT TO EM!!!
As you read this, think of an old gravely voiced preacher who goes into high-pitched shrieks whenever he yells and you will have a good mental picture of the man.

For the most part, I believe he was right! Found him on YouTube! This is the guy. He was real character!

No offense, Alayman, but as an associate minister in your church, it seems a little hypocritical of you to take the stance you have but preface it with this statement.
You lack sufficient context to make that judgment, but that’s ok.
As I said in a post to Joe: “Church attendance is at an all-time low. There’s no need to waste limited money and resources on an empty building on Sunday night. Save on the water & electric and let folks enjoy some Sunday evening family time before the work week cranks up.”
Church attendance being at an all time low is one of the symptoms of the problem. It demonstrates that people are not sufficiently invested in what we generally know as “church”. The Sunday evening elimination of services is just one more symptom which shows the secularization of our country is very real.

You seem to be a student of history. That being said, what is the biblical precedent for holding Sunday night services? If we’re looking at recent history in America (and I presume Canada and parts of Europe), services used to be multiple hours at a time. Revivals would last for two weeks and go all night. Are we to think we’re now reprobates for only holding revival services for five or seven days at a time?

I’m not very old, but I’m old enough to have seen a lot of stores that were once thought of as unsinkable go out of business, and some of them held the status as “American institutions.” Sears, Kmart, and others immediately come to mind. They always had one thing in common: they were behind the times and unable (or unwilling) to adapt to changing times. I’ve often thought if churches were businesses, many would have gone bankrupt decades ago. Whether we like it or not, churches are businesses, and many are going bankrupt. I don’t think churches need to capitulate to the world in order to adapt to newer generations and newer thinking, but staying stagnant isn’t the answer.

I am not making the case that traditional views of church attendance, such as a Sunday evening, service, are a biblical mandate. I’m OK with different days of the week, and with cell groups and such. What I’m not OK with is the idea of saying that we should meet less and that’s a sign of a healthy church.

You use the analogy of a business, and though I get it, even though I question the pragmatism behind the analogies philosophy, I am much more aligned with analogies that are sports related. I spent years coaching youth athletics, and being coached as a youth. In all of those years, I have never seen a successful athletic program ask that their commitments be reduced in order to achieve a goal, but rather the level of commitment is usually demonstrated by further participation, and that extra level of commitment often translates into some form of success. Every analogy has its limits, just as this one does, but the pertinent fact is that dying things typically have less activity and growing things typically have more activity. We are seeing churches all throughout our country hemorrhage membership, of the main stream, as well as evangelical and fundamentalist variety. That might be a good thing as it could be a demonstration that there are tares among the wheat, and that cultural Christianity is being exposed for the pretenders that they are. But it also might show the anemic nature of people’s/Christian attitudes towards what is often termed as “organized religion”. The problem with analysis of that faction of those that are disappearing from church rolls and reduction of participation is that we don’t see those “nones” (Google it) making any spiritual difference in our country that remotely resembles a spiritual revival or awakening.

And of course none of this commentary and analysis is intended to judge those who are elderly, sick, or physically unable to meet the level of commitment that comes along with rigorous church life. My pastor has a saying that I believe is a general truism, that people do what they want. While there is no trouble watching young people, take their children to drama practice, football, games, and a host of other activities that endlessly demands their times, I find it ironic that we make excuses for the spiritual element that they will miss by running from event to event, all the while missing spiritual meetings and relationships with God’s people, in favor of “socializing”.

Last edited:
The Sunday evening elimination of services is just one more symptom which shows the secularization of our country is very real.
How does the country's secularization cause the elimination of Sunday evening services? Could there be other causes?

How does the country's secularization cause the elimination of Sunday evening services? Could there be other causes?
Lol, I had already spilled enough ink/type when I wrote that and didn’t feel like doing the heavy lifting to explain it😁. That was the fundy in me, and it relates to the statement I made in the other thread about capitulation of the church to the culture. So being brief again, where we evangelicals believe we have to maintain relevance through imitation we began to adapt to worldly philosophies of entertainment, in terms of our worship style and approaches. But yes, I also believe that there are other reasons why evening services are going the way of the dodo bird. Those reasons would take a lot more ink again, and I’ll just stop right here, unless you would like me to elaborate further on them?

I still remember the words of Jack Wood (Shady Acres Baptist Church, Houston TX). I considered him to be my "Pastor" in the 80s whenever I was home on leave visiting my family.

I wish I had an actual audio clip but there is not much of his preaching out there on the web (he passed away in the 90s). I am recalling from memory here:

As you read this, think of an old gravely voiced preacher who goes into high-pitched shrieks whenever he yells and you will have a good mental picture of the man.

For the most part, I believe he was right! Found him on YouTube! This is the guy. He was real character!

I've heard this man! Great preacher. I had friends who used to go to this church years ago. They've moved from Houston to Tampa (transferred for job) and they had recordings of him. I believe I still have some copies in my boxes of tapes out in the garage.

This Sunday night service issue boils down to one thing for me: conviction.

If a Christian is comfortable attending a church that only holds Sunday morning services, then end of story. However, if a Christian is attending a church that formerly held evening services and is clearly convicted by the Holy Spirit that it’s not an acceptable practice to not be in evening worship, then that’s an entirely different ball of wax, and that’s between that Christian and God.

This link to an article from Paul Chappell might hold some relevance for the FFF on the subject…

10 Reasons We Still Have a Sunday Evening Service
Though not a fan of Paul Chappell, he does at times have good, honest information that should be used. My ex-BIL and sister used to be employed by his church and the college there in CA. I think he's right on the money on this subject.

Paul Chappell makes a good case for evening services. I would encourage Lancaster Baptist, and all other churches with evening services, to continue them, as long as there are people who want to attend, and it's working for them. If their people like small groups, they can always add them to the schedule, on a voluntary attendance basis. instead of using them as an excuse to cancel the evening services. I can't help mischieviously wondering, though - if "Three to Thrive" is good, then why not "Five to Thrive?" It even makes a better rhyme. :cool: If there are churches that are thriving on just one service a week, then that's okay, too.

I have to wonder - as gasoline prices go up (although they are down temporarily) how will this affect congregations where most of the people are driving in 3 or 4 times a week (including visitation night) from long distances, because that church is the self-proclaimed "only good church around?" There are many small IFB churches that are in that position - they attract few people from their own communities - they are composed mainly of people who drive in from 20 or 30 miles away in search of doctrinal purity. If they can maintain their attendance in the face of higher gas prices, then more power to them, but at some point, people may start to look for a reasonably good church that is closer to home.

My first church as a youth pastor, I had to handle the song service, offering, announcements as the pastors and deacons were in his office watching the end of a game.

I resigned. Made better money at a secular job one week later. And could focus on seminary.

This link to an article from Paul Chappell might hold some relevance for the FFF on the subject…

10 Reasons We Still Have a Sunday Evening Service
I agree in principle but Paul Chappell seems good from afar off but I would not recommend this church or his ministry to anyone!

Look back at my prior post and you will see that much of my time at my Church in San Diego was focused on "Busy-ness" and when everything is all activity-driven, you will find yourself burned out really, really quick and this is not a good thing at all.

Much of what Paul Chappell is speaking is the exact reason why many tend to eschew Church attendance beyond the obligatory "Sunday Morning" service! And I am not saying this is a good thing at all!

Now let's get real here: Much of what goes on at that Church (Special meetings, conferences, Etc.) are focused around the College and the Christian School as well as those who are in "Full-Time Ministry" who happen to be visiting delegates or whatever. Little to no consideration is given to "Joe Pew-Pounder" who may happen to have a 4:00 AM start time over the hill down in Los Angeles or wherever!

The last time I set foot on that property was 2003 so hopefully things have changed since then.

However, If Paul Chappell wants to call his Church members "Biblically Illiterate" that is completely on him! Seems to me that a "Model IFB Church" would be an example to other IFB Churches on how to effectively feed your flock but a big major league FAIL in this regard! He probably bad-mouths those who leave as being "Disgruntled" or whatever but hopefully those starving for sound biblical teaching and preaching have found something at Johnny Mac's Church down in the SFV or perhaps some other good Church in the AV!

And I believe Johnny Mac still has a Sunday Evening service too. He also did not bow to pressure from their reprobate Governor!

Paul Chappell makes a good case for evening services. I would encourage Lancaster Baptist, and all other churches with evening services, to continue them, as long as there are people who want to attend, and it's working for them. If their people like small groups, they can always add them to the schedule, on a voluntary attendance basis. instead of using them as an excuse to cancel the evening services. I can't help mischieviously wondering, though - if "Three to Thrive" is good, then why not "Five to Thrive?" It even makes a better rhyme. :cool: If there are churches that are thriving on just one service a week, then that's okay, too.

I have to wonder - as gasoline prices go up (although they are down temporarily) how will this affect congregations where most of the people are driving in 3 or 4 times a week (including visitation night) from long distances, because that church is the self-proclaimed "only good church around?" There are many small IFB churches that are in that position - they attract few people from their own communities - they are composed mainly of people who drive in from 20 or 30 miles away in search of doctrinal purity. If they can maintain their attendance in the face of higher gas prices, then more power to them, but at some point, people may start to look for a reasonably good church that is closer to home.
You know, good Churches really are getting fewer in number and I am afraid it is only going to get worse. Perhaps one of the problems is that Churches are too "Personality Driven" and dependent upon some dynamic "Senior Pastor" leading everyone from multiple campuses and so forth? I am all for good pastors and supporting them but good pastors train others to do their job and enable members to "Feed themselves" so they don't feel so needy! We need the Church to be strong on every level.

I agree in principle but Paul Chappell seems good from afar off but I would not recommend this church or his ministry to anyone!

Look back at my prior post and you will see that much of my time at my Church in San Diego was focused on "Busy-ness" and when everything is all activity-driven, you will find yourself burned out really, really quick and this is not a good thing at all.

Much of what Paul Chappell is speaking is the exact reason why many tend to eschew Church attendance beyond the obligatory "Sunday Morning" service! And I am not saying this is a good thing at all!

Now let's get real here: Much of what goes on at that Church (Special meetings, conferences, Etc.) are focused around the College and the Christian School as well as those who are in "Full-Time Ministry" who happen to be visiting delegates or whatever. Little to no consideration is given to "Joe Pew-Pounder" who may happen to have a 4:00 AM start time over the hill down in Los Angeles or wherever!

The last time I set foot on that property was 2003 so hopefully things have changed since then.

However, If Paul Chappell wants to call his Church members "Biblically Illiterate" that is completely on him! Seems to me that a "Model IFB Church" would be an example to other IFB Churches on how to effectively feed your flock but a big major league FAIL in this regard! He probably bad-mouths those who leave as being "Disgruntled" or whatever but hopefully those starving for sound biblical teaching and preaching have found something at Johnny Mac's Church down in the SFV or perhaps some other good Church in the AV!

And I believe Johnny Mac still has a Sunday Evening service too. He also did not bow to pressure from their reprobate Governor!
I lost my "warm-fuzzies" for Paul Chappell long before my sister and her ex went there. His overbearing brand of IFBx was too much for me....it's one reason my wife and I never went out there to finish college, though we were encouraged to time and again by friends and family alike. Most of those hard-boiled types eventually end up caving into modernism, CCM, etc. I've learned to let them do it, and let them decide their own fate.

I lost my "warm-fuzzies" for Paul Chappell long before my sister and her ex went there. His overbearing brand of IFBx was too much for me....it's one reason my wife and I never went out there to finish college, though we were encouraged to time and again by friends and family alike. Most of those hard-boiled types eventually end up caving into modernism, CCM, etc. I've learned to let them do it, and let them decide their own fate.
I guess God was stirring things up for me back in the mid 90s when I first joined his Church. I left a "Ruckmanite" Church and was trying to find something a little better balanced and ministry oriented like I had down in San Diego. I guess I was somewhat "Caught up" in all the hype. I was thrilled when he announced the opening of the Bible College and thinking this would be a great opportunity to continue my education and graduate from his college. I don't think I particularly "Fit his mold" though nor were my lips as firmly pressed to his butt cheeks as they should've been but he did have my respect. I don't really blame him for this though, my marriage would've never survived such an environment had I pursued the "Ministry" in such an environment (It didn't anyway but that is another story) plus the Lord really was impressing upon me that there may be some good things outside of the IFB world I had locked myself into. Of course you had all of the nonsense with Hyles and his ilk among a few other things but I was still trying to find some "Terra Firma" within the IFB world and pursue whatever calling the Lord had for me. Pursued a secular degree, tried to keep my mouth shut, and did my best to conform but the Holy Spirit kept "Poking the Bear" :)LOL:) and would not allow me to be content and I was also watching my family suffer so I knew I would probably be better off out of Church than remaining in such an environment!

I know what you mean about caving into modernism, CCM, and so forth. The Church I started attending had a "Contemporary" Praise Band which I got recruited into and bought a Fender Stratocaster and Bass Guitar from the local Guitar Center! The teaching and preaching was rock solid though and they weren't all "Emotion Driven" and such. They were also 4-Point Calvinist and used the NASB and went back a few years later after moving to Houston telling the Pastor I am now using an ESV and I think I am a "5-Pointer" and we had a good laugh over that!

But back to your statement about modernism, CCM, and so forth. Yes, I definitely see IFB (and especially IFBx Churches like Chappell's) headed in this direction and I think it is clearly illustrated with the direction that Greg Locke has been taking! Seems they will go Charismatic, seeker sensitive, and possibly even word of faith or prosperity gospel which are all acceptable so long as you don't go over to the dark side and become a CALVINIST!!! I am not anti-CCM but there is less and less of it that I actually like these days.