Christmas services

Now that Christmas is over, does anybody care to debate the controversial question of whether to cancel church services for a football game? (Super Bowl, Lemon Bowl, Oatmeal Bowl or whatever). :cool:

(Naturally, each congregation is independent and can do what they want, but you never know - when a church cancels a service, some members may go visit another church service and they just might like that other church better).
Or worse yet the neighbors will see my car in the driveway when I usually would be at church and realize my Christianity wasn't real after all.

I guess God was stirring things up for me back in the mid 90s when I first joined his Church. I left a "Ruckmanite" Church and was trying to find something a little better balanced and ministry oriented like I had down in San Diego. I guess I was somewhat "Caught up" in all the hype. I was thrilled when he announced the opening of the Bible College and thinking this would be a great opportunity to continue my education and graduate from his college. I don't think I particularly "Fit his mold" though nor were my lips as firmly pressed to his butt cheeks as they should've been but he did have my respect. I don't really blame him for this though, my marriage would've never survived such an environment had I pursued the "Ministry" in such an environment (It didn't anyway but that is another story) plus the Lord really was impressing upon me that there may be some good things outside of the IFB world I had locked myself into. Of course you had all of the nonsense with Hyles and his ilk among a few other things but I was still trying to find some "Terra Firma" within the IFB world and pursue whatever calling the Lord had for me. Pursued a secular degree, tried to keep my mouth shut, and did my best to conform but the Holy Spirit kept "Poking the Bear" :)LOL:) and would not allow me to be content and I was also watching my family suffer so I knew I would probably be better off out of Church than remaining in such an environment!

I know what you mean about caving into modernism, CCM, and so forth. The Church I started attending had a "Contemporary" Praise Band which I got recruited into and bought a Fender Stratocaster and Bass Guitar from the local Guitar Center! The teaching and preaching was rock solid though and they weren't all "Emotion Driven" and such. They were also 4-Point Calvinist and used the NASB and went back a few years later after moving to Houston telling the Pastor I am now using an ESV and I think I am a "5-Pointer" and we had a good laugh over that!

But back to your statement about modernism, CCM, and so forth. Yes, I definitely see IFB (and especially IFBx Churches like Chappell's) headed in this direction and I think it is clearly illustrated with the direction that Greg Locke has been taking! Seems they will go Charismatic, seeker sensitive, and possibly even word of faith or prosperity gospel which are all acceptable so long as you don't go over to the dark side and become a CALVINIST!!! I am not anti-CCM but there is less and less of it that I actually like these days.
I have watched the decline of Mr. Locke over the past few years as a solid Bible-preaching pastor...Don't get me wrong...he preaches the Bible, but he twists it to fit his warped ideology. My wife and I had considered going to his church (and that's just what it is....Greg Locke's church, not Gods) back after he had split off from Franklin Road Baptist Church back in the early 2000s. But, many of the people we knew who had gone to help him found this church left disillusioned and questioning God's guidance in their lives. Some even left church altogether for a short while. Most have since returned. As far as CCM...there was a lot I used to like, but in the genre today, I'm finding that there is far more doctrinal error and "it makes me feel so good" being passed around as good doctrine in its place. So, my wife and I stay away from it for the most part. I find, for me at least, that it doesn't really lead me into a spirit of worship.

I see lots of Facebook and blog posts calling churches wicked (or at least somehow less than) if they aren't having services on Christmas day.

My church is having 1 service Thursday evening, 2 Friday evening, and 3 on Saturday - afternoon, evening, & night. None on Sunday.

One person invoked Hebrews 10:25, but I think that was misapplied since we are still assembling.

Makes no difference to me if churches meet on Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday or Saturday.
Who wants to worship on a pagan holiday like Christmas?

Dude, ease up. No one needed you to resurrect year-old threads just to tell us everything is pagan or a cult.

Dude, ease up. No one needed you to resurrect year-old threads just to tell us everything is pagan or a cult.
First of all my name is not Dude.
Secondly who made you the thread police? I have a right to express myself. If you don't like it then don't read it.

Secondly who made you the thread police?

The forum owner did. You see by my name where it says "Administrator"? That's just a big word for "thread police."

So ease up.

I have a right to express myself.

Yes, but we don't have to give you a forum to do so. Here your expression is a privilege, not a right. Don't abuse it.

The forum owner did. You see by my name where it says "Administrator"? That's just a big word for "thread police."

So ease up.

Yes, but we don't have to give you a forum to do so. Here your expression is a privilege, not a right. Don't abuse it.
If I lose it. It's your loss and my gain.