Coming out as an Agnostic

Joseph007

Elect
Reaction score
I've been a fundamentalist my entire life. I even met my wife in a Christian college. But I am now agnostic. I need advice on the best way to talk to my wife about it. How do I tell her that I no longer believe the Bible is "the word of God"?  She is still a believer. Looking for people that have been in this situation before and how they handled it. Or a spouse that was on the receiving end of this kind of revelation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So you were never redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb?

Twisted said:
That question doesn't answer my question.

Joseph007 said:
Twisted said:
That question doesn't answer my question. 

No, but it helps to know who you are and where you are coming from.

Joseph007 said:
I've been a fundamentalist my entire life. I even met my wife in a Christian college. But I am now agnostic. I need advice on the best way to talk to my wife about it. How do I tell her that I no longer believe the Bible is "the word of God"?  She is still a believer. Looking for people that have been in this situation before and how they handled it. Or a spouse that was on the receiving end of this kind of revelation.

I would say that you still believe the Bible, you are simply suppressing the knowledge of Him in unrighteousness.

Recovering IFB said:
Joseph007 said:

I would say that you still believe the Bible, you are simply suppressing the knowledge of Him in unrighteousness.
Oh ok. Is that what it is?

You did not say you had trusted Jesus as Savior.............so were you simply play acting as a religious person?

If you ever trusted Jesus as your Savior.............He always keeps His word & the gift of eternal life never ends, neither is a loan that is recalled.

What did you tell your wife about being a believer? Were you honest or dishonest with her previously? Is she going to now question you as honest or dishonest?

fishinnut said:
You did not say you had trusted Jesus as Savior.............so were you simply play acting as a religious person?

If you ever trusted Jesus as your Savior.............He always keeps His word & the gift of eternal life never ends, neither is a loan that is recalled.

What did you tell your wife about being a believer? Were you honest or dishonest with her previously? Is she going to now question your honest or dishonest?

That's it.

His refusal to answer my question, IMO, means he is a believer.  You can't be "unborn again", but you can slide down to whatever condition this guy is in now.

If he isn't a believer, then he is a liar and deceiver.  He's in trouble either way.

Joseph007 said:

I'm certainly not agnostic but I can no longer consider myself to be Evangelical or a Fundamentalist. What I have done is gone out of my way to show love to others and bring my wife along. I've gradually explained to her these are the folks Evangelicals want shunned from this country. We talk and I allow her to make her own decisions, even though they differ from mine. As she is gradually seeing things from my perspective, she is gradually changing.

We have placed too much emphasis on "being a believer" rather than "being a disciple" of Jesus. One can be a "believer" and a "disciple" at the same time and one can also not be a "believer" (in the context of Evangelical doctrine) and still be a "disciple". So since we agree on following the teachings of Jesus in bringing the Kingdom to earth in loving the marginalized, then I don't care she believes differently than I. She is her own person, has her own mind.

Love her continually. Together, search out the marginalized rejected or ignored by the church and reach out to them. Gradually show her what Jesus is all about without bombarding her with agnosticism and I'm sure over a period of a few years, she will have pulled away from fundamentalism. But it should be her choice, not something you demand or even expect of her.

I'm evangelical, not agnostic. If you find yourself to be agnostic now and your wife is a Christian, keep your beliefs private to the extent that you can. This would be for the sake of your wife and for your honesty. If agnostic, then the God of Christianity could exist and be true to His Word. Your wife might be right. You don't know.

HereIStand said:
I'm evangelical, not agnostic. If you find yourself to be agnostic now and your wife is a Christian, keep your beliefs private to the extent that you can. This would be for the sake of your wife and for your honesty. If agnostic, then the God of Christianity could exist and be true to His Word. Your wife might be right. You don't know.
I guess my issue is that every religion is based on believing in that religion's mandates for eternal life. There isn't any actual proof that any one religion is correct. How does any one know that they are right? Every one that is religious believes whole  heartedly that they are correct and their belief system will get them to heaven. How do you know who is right? You just believe......

Joseph007 said:
HereIStand said:
I guess my issue is that every religion is based on believing in that religion's mandates for eternal life. There isn't any actual proof that any one religion is correct. How does any one know that they are right? Every one that is religious believes whole  heartedly that they are correct and their belief system will get them to heaven. How do you know who is right? You just believe......

What do you mean by "believe their religion is correct"?  Correct about what?  And most pointedly, what kind of "proof" would you accept as valid for the answer to your questions?

Joseph007 said:
HereIStand said:

We don't have absolute proof of Christianity, otherwise faith wouldn't be needed. There is historical proof that Christ lived and was crucified. His body was never found and the most plausible explanation is He was resurrected as the Bible says.

Joseph007 said:
HereIStand said:

If you are a serious seeker of truth........then you will take the time to be challenged by a former seeker and now believer of God's Word.

https://www.amazon.com/1-Evidence-That-Demands-Verdict/dp/0785243038/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1511789980&sr=8-9&keywords=the+new+evidence+demands+a+verdict

fishinnut said:
Joseph007 said:
HereIStand said:

If you are a serious seeker of truth........then you will take the time to be challenged by a former seeker and now believer of God's Word.

https://www.amazon.com/1-Evidence-That-Demands-Verdict/dp/0785243038/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1511789980&sr=8-9&keywords=the+new+evidence+demands+a+verdict

Good one, Fishin'.  I thought of that book last night.

http://youtu.be/ihGsl1KX9dQ

Joseph007 said:
You won't be getting any good answers here.  These folks are mostly the fundagelical type and refuse to consider other beliefs outside of their man-made creeds and man-created bible.

You'll get better and more honest answers at a forum that doesn't cater solely to Christians.

FreeToBeMe said:
Joseph007 said:
You won't be getting any good answers here.  These folks are mostly the fundagelical type and refuse to consider other beliefs outside of their man-made creeds and man-created bible.

You'll get better and more honest answers at a forum that doesn't cater solely to Christians.

By "good", "better", and "honest" you mean it must come from an antichrist view like that of a deist?

FreeToBeMe said:
You won't be getting any good answers here.

Does that include any answers from the "resident deist," or do you exempt yourself?