Did Jack Hyles actually go soul winning?

Good thoughts, Raider.

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
What I pointed out is that Bro. Hyles went door knocking relentlessly in the 60s which resulted in a tremendous number of converts some of whom became deacons I don't think I was expressing any frustration at all. I think I said I believed he knocked on every door in Hammond in the 60s. I don't think I expressed any doubt he did that. I can count 5 men who became deacons.

In the 70s because of the high level of travel he did not continue the relentless high volume door knocking that was done in the 60s I also do not think I was expressing any kind of frustration.

I realize this thread is asking the title question for 2 reasons:
1)  We are commanded to share the Gospel with the lost.  Door-to-door soul winning was preached and practiced at FBCH.  Did Dr. Hyles practice door-to-door soul winning?
2)  At HAC we were required to go soul winning for a minimum of an hour each week.  Because this was the rule did Dr. Hyles also practice it?

It seems like we have mixed reviews.  Some speak of him doing heavy door-to-door soul winning in the early years of his pastorate.  As the church grew and he began to travel they believe he stopped doing this.  Others say he continued to do this even in his final years as pastor and had an individual sit with the converts.

Just some food for thought.  There is no debating that while Dr. Hyles traveled he motivated people to win souls.  Others on this thread have testified that while he traveled he would go with a pastor to win someone.  Dr. Hyles told numerous stories about sharing the Gospel with someone in an airport or on a plane.  Is this door-to-door?  No, but it is person-to-person.

The average church member did not travel every week.  They did not preach to thousands and motivate them to win souls.  They did not have the unique opportunities that Dr. Hyles did.  Thus, offering a time to go door-to-door soul winning was the avenue the average church member had to share the Gospel.  Yes, they were encouraged to share the Gospel with co-workers, relatives, and neighbors.

Bottom line, does it matter if Jack Hyles did door-to-door soul winning if he was doing person-to-person soul winning?  Does it matter if he spoke to a person about Christ on a door step or in an airport?  Does it matter if he spoke to someone about Christ in Hammond or in Phoenix?

Just some thoughts. 

Thanks Vince. That makes two actual experiences recounted in this thread.

Vince Massi said:
In either 1977 or 1978, Jack Hyles was preaching in Pennsylvania, and he had me drive him to my Dad's office. He went in and tried to win my Dad to Christ.

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
Bottom line, does it matter.... ?  Does it matter if ....  Does it matter if he........

Just some thoughts. 

Reminds me of our next president.....

! No longer available
"what difference at this point does it make"  :) :) :)

You seem to have plenty of criticism for the majority of things Hyles.  Just trying to look at things from a balanced perspective.
He has presented a fair and balanced view of JH.
He has spoken well of the pre-Nischik years.
He has detailed what he sees as problems.
I have done the same, from a different perspective, but from the same standpoint....someone who was vested.

BG is giving his observations, providing insight, and you're whining about it, basically.

And I think that part of this is due to ignorance on your part, as to the difference between what JH taught and practiced in the '50's vs the era when you showed up.

Haklo

prophet said:
And I think that part of this is due to ignorance on your part, as to the difference between what JH taught and practiced in the '50's vs the era when you showed up.

Ouch!  :eek:

prophet said:
I have done the same, from a different perspective, but from the same standpoint....someone who was vested.

BG is giving his observations, providing insight, and you're whining about it, basically.

Haklo

Evidently you have not read many of BGW's posts.  He was a deacon while Jack Hyles was pastor.  He was a deacon "when I showed up".  He was a deacon after I left.  He stood behind Jack Hyles.  He then remained a deacon while Schaap was pastor.  He stood behind Schaap.  All of a sudden he decides that he is against a lot of what Hyles and Schaap preached as well as the way they pastored.

I believe your post was based on ignorance because you have not followed BGW's posts for the past several months.  Thanks for whining!

RAIDER said:
prophet said:

Haklo

Evidently you have not read many of BGW's posts.  He was a deacon while Jack Hyles was pastor.  He was a deacon "when I showed up".  He was a deacon after I left.  He stood behind Jack Hyles.  He then remained a deacon while Schaap was pastor.  He stood behind Schaap.  All of a sudden he decides that he is against a lot of what Hyles and Schaap preached as well as the way they pastored.
He has said many times that he agreed with things JH taught at Miller Road and  until the mid 70's.

He has detailed that he was willing to ignore some of what he disagreed with him on, believing him to be sincere.

He has explained that he had an eye-opening experience in 2012 or so, and detailed in a letter, the things that the church should repent of.  It was ignored.
What many of you 80's HACkers don't realize, is that BGW has had the rug pulled out from under him by Hyles, who completely changed everything he "believed" during his pastorate.
BGW has every right to criticize him for that, as he was lied to, but at the time swallowed his misgivings and carried on.
Does he represent what is wrong at FBCH still?  IMO, yes.
There is still an element that believe like JH did in the 50's and 60's, where he was a complete Charismatic SBC hack.

Let him rant, he has some info and insight to provide.
It isn't his fault that JH changed, why blame him for criticizing him? 
All of us had to give Schaap a shot, but eventually we realized he was losing it, so why complain that he criticizes him?

Look what they went through.

Haklo

prophet said:

This is all I'm trying to say.

RAIDER said:
prophet said:

This is all I'm trying to say.
Yes, which is why I included it.

What I'm saying is that Schaap believes that way, and JH taught that way for years, and BGW feels betrayed.

Remember Combs?  Yeah, he was the popular Bible teacher.
Nuff said.

Haklo

prophet said:
All of us had to give Schaap a shot, but eventually we realized he was losing it, so why complain that he criticizes him?

Haklo

I have said that I enjoy some of the insights and stories that BKW provides.  I know you believe that in 2012 BKW had a magical light turn on and he now sees everything from a clear viewpoint. 

BKW had issues with Dr. Hyles viewpoints LONG before 2012.  He knew what he believed at that time, yet remained as a deacon.  Prophet, the multitudes heard Schaap's crazy doctrine and wacky preaching.  The accounts of Schaap cursing at staff members were many.  Yet BKW remained a deacon.  Now Wilkerson is pastor.  As some have pointed out on the FFF, BKW remains a deacon and still doesn't know if his pastor's beliefs on important topics lines up with his.

Yes, I want BKW to post.  I have enjoyed some of his "old" stories.  On the other hand, there are things that just don't add up.

RAIDER said:
prophet said:

Haklo

I have said that I enjoy some of the insights and stories that BKW provides.  I know you believe that in 2012 BKW had a magical light turn on and he now sees everything from a clear viewpoint. 

BKW had issues with Dr. Hyles viewpoints LONG before 2012.  He knew what he believed at that time, yet remained as a deacon.  Prophet, the multitudes heard Schaap's crazy doctrine and wacky preaching.  The accounts of Schaap cursing at staff members were many.  Yet BKW remained a deacon.  Now Wilkerson is pastor.  As some have pointed out on the FFF, BKW remains a deacon and still doesn't know if his pastor's beliefs on important topics lines up with his.

Yes, I want BKW to post.  I have enjoyed some of his "old" stories.  On the other hand, there are things that just don't add up.
The way you view him, is the way I view all of the SOTL crowd, anyone who promotes Finney or Torrey, etc.

Get it now?

Haklo

prophet said:
The way you view him, is the way I view all of the SOTL crowd, anyone who promotes Finney or Torrey, etc.

Get it now?

Haklo

I view him in a Fox News kind of way - fair and balanced. :)

RAIDER said:
As some have pointed out on the FFF, BKW remains a deacon and still doesn't know if his pastor's beliefs on important topics lines up with his.

If I only was involved in a church where I agree with the pastor on everything, I would have to be like rcs2a.

Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
As some have pointed out on the FFF, BKW remains a deacon and still doesn't know if his pastor's beliefs on important topics lines up with his.

If I only was involved in a church where I agree with the pastor on everything, I would have to be like rcs2a.

No one is saying you have to agree with your pastor on everything.  I am saying that if you disagree with your pastor on several major issues (as BKW did) that you probably shouldn't remain a deacon.  You should probably find a church where you are in accord on major issues.  If they were minor issues there would be no need to come on the FFF and make them big issues after the fact.  Just saying.

I tend to allow people to recognize their mistakes and hear their statement of repentance, rather than mocking such statement.

Binaca Chugger said:
I tend to allow people to recognize their mistakes and hear their statement of repentance, rather than mocking such statement.

Yea, the FFF is a great place to do that.

Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

Huh?

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

No one is saying you have to agree with your pastor on everything.  I am saying that if you disagree with your pastor on several major issues (as BKW did) that you probably shouldn't remain a deacon.  You should probably find a church where you are in accord on major issues.  If they were minor issues there would be no need to come on the FFF and make them big issues after the fact.  Just saying.

Some FBC members left FBC and went to other churches during the last years of Hyles' pastorate and then came back to FBC years later.  I know that many deacons resigned from the deacon board and left FBC during the early 90's during the Nishchick and Dave Hyles rumors and allegations.  These were deacons who couldn't agree with JH in all areas and chose to do the right thing.  Kudos to these men as many lost friendships and decades long relationships with people with whom they were close.

rsc2a said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

Huh?
Home church.  See, I ripped both Raider and you at the same time!  8)

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Yea, the FFF is a great place to do that.
I think the FFF is a great place to warn people of unrepentant abusers in the ministry, kindly laugh at our HACkerness and engage in spirited doctrinal debate.  I don't think anywhere is a place to mock repentance.

Binaca Chugger said:
rsc2a said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

Huh?
Home church.  See, I ripped both Raider and you at the same time!  8)
I can pretty much guarantee that we have more diversity than the average church while maintaining orthodoxy.