Donald Trump

Well those who are looking for a perfect political candidate, I hate to tell you this. But only one man was born in this sinful world, perfectly sinless, lived his life that way and died that way. Last I noticed He is not running for office. If you want to be a perfect person, take note, only man ever being born perfect, ended up being crucified.
And when the people tried to make Him king, He got the heck out of town.

[Trump] Is a vile disgusting man.
“There is someone I love, even though I don’t approve of what he does. There is someone I accept, though some of his thoughts and actions revolt me. There is someone I forgive, though he hurts the people I love the most. That person is me.” (C.S. Lewis, subllibrm, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Adolf Hitler, Charles Manson, every self righteous Christian who feels he is better than everybody else)

This thread has turned into a much deeper Rorschach test than I expected. Go back and read my OP and then see where your reactions took the thread.

You claimed early on that tribalism was clearly on display here at the FFF, implying that people were ignoring Trump’s foibles and painting him as some sort of decent man. So it appears that your intent for the design of the thread was to elicit a response that confirmed your view of politics and Trump. Since that early part of the thread, there has been many people who have acknowledged that Trump is problematic in the area of his own personal character, yet that is not the reason they vote for him. They went on to spell out many reasons strategically why they have voted for him despite holding their nose. I give latitude to those people and won’t impugn them as being complicit in promoting Christian nationalism or being culpable in ignoring his moral failures.

God used David and other sinful people to accomplish his will all the time, not excluding leadership. Nobody here would defend David’s mistreatment of Bathsheba, or Nebuchadnezzar’s idolatry. I am very well aware that there are people who do that with Trump, but I haven’t seen anybody here do that. You are right though, a Rorschach test is an interesting concept. Jesus said it much much better, that what comes out of the mouth is an indicator of the heart. I am a heavy believer in that principle. Indicting other believers and lumping them into a somewhat of a boogie man is one take of my Roscharch analysis. I think you’re admonishment to be careful not to mistake our political leaders for an absolute, godly answer for our problems is well-founded, but it doesn’t mean that we should remove ourselves from the process of electing people to be the ministers of God’s justice.

Link.
Christians in modern America seem to move in the opposite direction. It’s common to hear Christians say that they’re refraining from voting for a political candidate because both candidates are morally reprehensible. In America, voting for a person is seen as not only as an endorsement of political services (i.e., what the candidate seeks to do for society politically) but also as an endorsement of the candidate’s character.

Last edited:
This thread has turned into a much deeper Rorschach test than I expected. Go back and read my OP and then see where your reactions took the thread.
Yes. It exposed the fact that you are more interested in reading liberal rags and adopting their "tribalism" poxy word than actually proving it applies to this group.

Pragmatic voting choices are not the same as "tribalism." It could be argued that reading liberal rags and jumping on their bandwagon against anyone voting for Trump IS the very definition of "tribalism."

Last edited:
Wrong thread, you meant to post here, but the Temptations was an excellent choice 😂

Yes. It exposed the fact that you are more interested in reading liberal rags and adopting their "tribalism" poxy word than actually proving it applies to this group.

Pragmatic voting choices are not the same as "tribalism." It could be argued that reading liberal rags and jumping on their bandwagon against anyone voting for Trump IS the very definition of "tribalism."

lol!

I’m assuming that Samson wouldn’t be your choice as a Judge either.

Everything that happens to Samson in Judges happened because he was a womanizer, except for bringing the Philistine temple down, and that was to avenge his eyes. So no.

Everything that happens to Samson in Judges happened because he was a womanizer, except for bringing the Philistine temple down, and that was to avenge his eyes. So no.
Has your moral/ethical standards for voting ever been the primary reason that kept you from voting for a candidate in an election of Prime Minister?

Last edited:
Has your moral/ethical standards for voting ever been the primary reason that kept you from voting for a candidate in an election of Prime Minister?

Technically we don't elect the prime minister. But I have declined to vote in one provincial election where I felt none of the local candidates adequately represented my interests (their campaign platforms were near-identical lists of vapid platitudes). And there was also a national referendum several years ago where I deliberately spoiled the ballot as a protest vote over what I felt to be two equally undesirable alternatives.

Technically we don't elect the prime minister. But I have declined to vote in one provincial election where I felt none of the local candidates adequately represented my interests (their campaign platforms were near-identical lists of vapid platitudes). And there was also a national referendum several years ago where I deliberately spoiled the ballot as a protest vote over what I felt to be two equally undesirable alternatives.
I cast my protest vote in the very first election that I was eligible to vote in when I voted for Ross Perot. The day the Republican party officially adopts the Democratic party platform on abortion is the day that I will resume such protest voting. I’m not saying there could not be any other circumstances in which I would withhold my vote, but the contrast between Biden and Trump policies doesn’t cause my conscience any trouble.