Drinking

I guess David Nutt and the Bible don't agree with each other..and Jesus was mistaken.

This ought to get it going!

People are going to do what they want in spite of research or warnings.  Always have.  Always will.

Since I never drink, no amount of "one glass of red wine is beneficial" would entice me to drink.  And if a researcher claims that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption, people who want (or need) to drink will not be swayed to abstain. 

Wine

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

n. 1.
1. The expressed juice of grapes, esp. when fermented; a beverage or liquor prepared from grapes by squeezing out their juice, and (usually) allowing it to ferment.
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging, and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

JrChurch said:
People are going to do what they want in spite of research or warnings.  Always have.  Always will.

Since I never drink, no amount of "one glass of red wine is beneficial" would entice me to drink.  And if a researcher claims that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption, people who want (or need) to drink will not be swayed to abstain.

I don't drink...but your researcher is not speaking what the bible teaches...and do you hold all researchers to the same high esteem or just those who agree with your already made up mind? Like the researchers who tell you it is a good thing to drink a little wine, or the researchers who believe in evolution?  Hmmmmm?

ItinerantPreacher said:
Wine

n. 1.
1. The expressed juice of grapes, esp. when fermented; a beverage or liquor prepared from grapes by squeezing out their juice, and (usually) allowing it to ferment.
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging, and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

What about the Apostle who said to drink it, or the Savior who made it out of water?

ItinerantPreacher said:

Proverbs 20:1 is such a good verse.  I have no digestive disorders so no need to imbibe for "thy stomach's sake."  Of course, it doesn't get much worse than Pepto Bismol.

JrChurch said:
ItinerantPreacher said:

Proverbs 20:1 is such a good verse.  I have no digestive disorders so no need to imbibe for "thy stomach's sake." Of course, it doesn't get much worse than Pepto Bismol.

Now that I am in total agreement with!

T-Bone said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Wine

n. 1.
1. The expressed juice of grapes, esp. when fermented; a beverage or liquor prepared from grapes by squeezing out their juice, and (usually)allowing it to ferment.

What about the Apostle who said to drink it, or the Savior who made it out of water?
No problem with either. What makes you think it was alchoholic? (Couldnt edit my earlier post.)

ItinerantPreacher said:
T-Bone said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Wine

n. 1.

No problem with either. What makes you think it was alchoholic?

More to the point, what makes you think it was not alcoholic? I mean besides, the self serving teachers who bend the Scripture to make it say what fits their pre conceived views.  Clearly the Pharisees who falsely accused Jesus of being a drunkard, that Jesus referred to in comparison to John the Baptist knew it was alcoholic & Jesus didn't dispute that.

If I have stomach problems........I'm going to the Doctor. Drink away my friends.

admin said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
T-Bone said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Wine

n.1.
1.The expressed juice of grapes, esp. when fermented; a beverage or liquor prepared from grapes by squeezing out their juice, and (usually)allowing it to ferment.

No problem with either. What makes you think it was alchoholic? (Couldnt edit my earlier post.)

Didn't you just quote Webster saying it was?

You miss the word "usually"... The problem is that the Proverbs verse makes no sense if wine is non-alcoholic.

Bob H said:
If I have stomach problems........I'm going to the Doctor. Drink away my friends.

We did tell you to do that Paul did..the doctor may give you something with alcohol in it, or just tell you if it is persistent to drink a glass of wine.  ;)

T-Bone said:
Bob H said:

We did tell you to do that Paul did..the doctor may give you something with alcohol in it, or just tell you if it is persistent to drink a glass of wine.  ;)

He may not neither. He may even find and treat a disease of some sorts. Like I said, I'll go to the doctor.

Bob H said:
T-Bone said:
Bob H said:

He may not neither. He may even find and treat a disease of some sorts. Like I said, I'll go to the doctor.

:)

T-Bone said:
admin said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
T-Bone said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Wine

n.1.
1.The expressed juice of grapes, esp. when fermented; a beverage or liquor prepared from grapes by squeezing out their juice, and (usually)allowing it to ferment.

You miss the word "usually"... The problem is that the Proverbs verse makes no sense if wine is non-alcoholic.
The word wine was a generic term, it is no longer used in that way, we interpret a word that was introduced into the scriptures more than 400 years ago through 21st century usage. That is poor interpretation.

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/wine_in_the_bible/4.html

Some food for thought in this article

ItinerantPreacher said:
T-Bone said:
admin said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
T-Bone said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Wine

n.1.

The word wine was a generic term, it is no longer used in that way, we interpret a word that was introduced into the scriptures more than 400 years ago through 21st century usage. That is poor interpretation.

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/wine_in_the_bible/4.html

Some food for thought in this article

Read this before..don't buy it, to self serving..again if this is the case Proverbs makes no sense..calling Jesus a wine bibber makes no sense....and Paul's admonition makes no sense...unless of course one can get drunk on Welches!

Anyways the wine Tim was told to take was to be used for MEDICNAL purposes only, "For thy stomach's sake." How many people drink wine for their stomach's sake? Not many. But then again I'm told here most people go hear a sermon to be entertained so what do I know?

New International Version
Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

New Living Translation
Don't drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

English Standard Version
(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

New American Standard Bible
No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

"A dose only four times as high as the amount that would make blood levels exceed drink-driving limits in the UK can kill. The toxicity of alcohol is worsened because in order for it to be cleared from the body it has to be metabolised to acetaldehyde, an even more toxic substance. Any food or drink contaminated with the amount of acetaldehyde that a unit of alcohol produces would be immediately banned as having an unacceptable health risk."
This is most of the first bullet point of the article. After I realized how poorly written this first bullet point was I decided to just stop reading it. The writer apparently is a moron.  If it takes four times PAST the drunk driving limit to kill someone OBVIOUSLY there IS a safe limit. That would be somewhere less than that amount. Also "a unit of alcohol" means a one of alcohol. A one/unit what? Cubic centimeter? Cubic millimeter? Gallon? Cubic mile? Moron can't even get his first bullet point to make sense... smh

P.S.- I realize this article is from the Guardian, but that doesn't change the fact that a moron who can't write wrote this particular article.