Drinking

JrChurch said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging, and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Proverbs 20:1 is such a good verse.  I have no digestive disorders so no need to imbibe for "thy stomach's sake."  Of course, it doesn't get much worse than Pepto Bismol.
Thank you!!!!!!!I USED to know this!! Why it didn't occur to me..well we just figured it out, why we've all been sick for a month. They were sick like a week or two.  THANK YOU!!!!
Sleeping all day, going to the bathroom constantly, throwing up sometimes. Taking naps in between working. I finally rode today. My family wasn't sick as long, not at all. We've been hauling water in, even for bathing. Feeling so fatigued..I got liver damage due to bad well water here at home. Just learned it. Not permanent liver damage per the ultrasound but the ALT & AST Tests showed that toxins were being released into my bloodstream.. so they want to do more tests. I say give Paul a chance and follow his instruction, he knows better.
No more tests.
I just went riding today for the first time in a month. I ate without it feeling like a brick was in my tummy. Couldn't even digest water without bloating and feeling so full I wanted to pop up until a few days ago.
The County public lab did the test a week ago, well guy comes tomorrow or Tues. The coliform is as high as the numbers can go (7200.5) after that they stop counting. We were bathing in poop and drinking it, amongst what else... I have no clue. They say there are no feces but part of coliform would entail that, no doubt.  Better run to the store now..thanks!!!!

Bob H said:
Anyways the wine Tim was told to take was to be used for MEDICNAL purposes only, "For thy stomach's sake." How many people drink wine for their stomach's sake? Not many. But then again I'm told here most people go hear a sermon to be entertained so what do I know?

New International Version
Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

New Living Translation
Don't drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

English Standard Version
(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

New American Standard Bible
No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.
No one prescribes alchohol for a "somach ailment". Grape juice? Much more likely

ItinerantPreacher said:
Bob H said:
Anyways the wine Tim was told to take was to be used for MEDICNAL purposes only, "For thy stomach's sake." How many people drink wine for their stomach's sake? Not many. But then again I'm told here most people go hear a sermon to be entertained so what do I know?

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

New Living Translation
Don't drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

English Standard Version
(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.
No one prescribes alchohol for a "somach ailment". Grape juice? Much more likely
I've already ate grapes, it didn't do it. I've been trying many fruits and veges at different times the last 30 days. Trying to cure myself.

John Gill, whoever he is, says differently via his commentary. I bet he is correct.
He says it will heal my liver. I'll let everyone know.

"for thy stomach's sake; to help digestion, and to remove the disorders which might attend it: the Ethiopic version renders it, "for the pain of the liver", and "for thy perpetual disease"; which last might be a pain in his head, arising from the disorder of his stomach: the last clause we render,"

http://www.studylight.org/bible/kja/1-timothy/5-23.html

I need to do some study tonight but if this Vodka I just bought will stop my stomach's bloating by tomorrow, then I'll assume he is correct. I am so sick of feeling like someone blew air into my tummy. That has not subsided. If it doesn't work, I can buy wine tomorrow.

Deut 14:26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

BTW, Bourbon here, usually with a good cigar.

nothing good can come from drinking.............. :(

ItinerantPreacher said:
Bob H said:

New Living Translation

English Standard Version

No one?

I have got to tell the doctor in our church to knock it off or your certainty will go right out the window!  :)

Sherryh said:

Maybe somebody should have reminded Jesus of that before he made all that wine for a wedding.
Peter:" you know, Jesus, if you make this wine, it could ruin your personal testimony"

Recovering IFB said:
Sherryh said:

Maybe somebody should have reminded Jesus of that before he made all that wine for a wedding.
Peter:" you know, Jesus, if you make this wine, it could ruin your personal testimony"

He probably thought, "Meh - I already ruined my testimony by eating and drinking with sinners and tax collectors."

The Rogue Tomato said:
Recovering IFB said:
Sherryh said:

He probably thought, "Meh - I already ruined my testimony by eating and drinking with sinners and tax collectors."

Or, perhaps it was simply non-alcoholic.

.tim said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Recovering IFB said:
Sherryh said:

Or, perhaps it was simply non-alcoholic.

Tell that to the wedding governor,.....

admin said:
.... and the writers of Scripture for using the wrong word.

I am in no way an expert. But, just this past Friday I was at the ballgame and was reminded what a few beers can do to people ...

... I find it hard to believe Jesus would encourage such behavior.

non-alcoholic, or very very low in alcoholic content seems the only fit here.

Are we able to honestly sample what Jesus gave to them?

JrChurch said:
We haven't had a drinking thread in a while.

"There is no such thing as a safe level of alcohol consumption. The idea that drinking small amounts of alcohol will do you no harm is a myth, claims Professor David Nutt."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/mar/07/safe-level-alcohol-consumption

Someone should tell Paul and Timothy....

1 Ti 5:23  Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

.tim said:
admin said:

I am in no way an expert. But, just this past Friday I was at the ballgame and was reminded what a few beers can do to people ...

How do you know it was just a "few" beers? Did you keep count for them..... or are you just assuming???

.tim said:
admin said:

I would agree with you here Tim
Beer at ballparks are usually horrible!!!

And overpriced,...

christundivided said:
.tim said:
admin said:

How do you know it was just a "few" beers? Did you keep count for them..... or are you just assuming???

Partially assuming (how could I know what people had before they came to the game) ... but, at $8.50 a can, plus tip ... well, who could afford more than 4 or 6 beers? And, at the end, I didn't see a tun of cans on the ground.

The game was a few hours, they stop serving beer at the 5th or 6th inning .... the wedding Jesus attended was 3 days long and they kept serving wine apparently ....

admin said:
.tim said:

Sure. Grape juice is an entirely different word which means grape juice. Wine was fermented and able to intoxicate.

We are told to drink it in moderation.

You don't have to drink it. Just don't judge Jesus for making it.
Ok, so whats the word for grape juice?

This may come as a surprise but it is possible for people at ballgames to be arrogant jerks without a drop of alcohol in their system.

They can do it right here on the FFF!  :D

ItinerantPreacher said:
admin said:
.tim said:

Sure. Grape juice is an entirely different word which means grape juice. Wine was fermented and able to intoxicate.

Mmmm, I love grape juice!!!!

ItinerantPreacher said:
admin said:
.tim said:

TRUX is unfermented grape juice.... <-- english transliteration
OINOS is wine.