Drinking

FSSL said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
admin said:
.tim said:
Are we able to honestly sample what Jesus gave to them?

Sure. Grape juice is an entirely different word which means grape juice. Wine was fermented and able to intoxicate.

We are told to drink it in moderation.

You don't have to drink it. Just don't judge Jesus for making it.
Ok, so whats the word for grape juice?

TRUX is unfermented grape juice.... <-- english transliteration
OINOS is wine.
You went from Hebrew to Greek.

The concept of wine as a gift from God to men is a hard pill to swallow in light of today's culture.

.tim said:
The concept of wine as a gift from God to men is a hard pill to swallow in light of today's culture.
Isaiah 55:1
I'm sure there has always been issue with "bad culture"

ItinerantPreacher said:

No. I only discussed the Greek terms.

We were talking about the wine Jesus used. If you want to discuss the Hebrew, I will.

.tim said:
The concept of wine as a gift from God to men is a hard pill to swallow in light of today's EXTREME CHRISTIAN culture.

This is more accurate. Many Christians view wine and beer as gifts from God and they don't abuse them.
Only since the early 1900s has wine and beer been a problem among Christians. It was an overreaction that went with the Prohibition Movement.

FSSL said:
.tim said:
The concept of wine as a gift from God to men is a hard pill to swallow in light of today's EXTREME CHRISTIAN culture.

This is more accurate. Many Christians view wine and beer as gifts from God and they don't abuse them.
Only since the early 1900s has wine and beer been a problem among Christians. It was an overreaction that went with the Prohibition Movement.

This is so confusing .... I might  need a drink.

.tim said:
christundivided said:
.tim said:
admin said:
.... and the writers of Scripture for using the wrong word.

I am in no way an expert. But, just this past Friday I was at the ballgame and was reminded what a few beers can do to people ...

... I find it hard to believe Jesus would encourage such behavior.

non-alcoholic, or very very low in alcoholic content seems the only fit here.

How do you know it was just a "few" beers? Did you keep count for them..... or are you just assuming???

Partially assuming (how could I know what people had before they came to the game) ... but, at $8.50 a can, plus tip ... well, who could afford more than 4 or 6 beers? And, at the end, I didn't see a tun of cans on the ground.

The game was a few hours, they stop serving beer at the 5th or 6th inning .... the wedding Jesus attended was 3 days long and they kept serving wine apparently ....

Three days long? Really?

The Scriptures say "on the third day". Not that the party lasted 3 days. If you study ancient Jewish culture you will find various traditions that talk of marriage on specfic days of the week based in their interaction with various feast days. Get a grip man...

ItinerantPreacher said:
FSSL said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
admin said:
.tim said:

Sure. Grape juice is an entirely different word which means grape juice. Wine was fermented and able to intoxicate.

We are told to drink it in moderation.

You don't have to drink it. Just don't judge Jesus for making it.
Ok, so whats the word for grape juice?

TRUX is unfermented grape juice.... <-- english transliteration
OINOS is wine.

and..... you know neither...

I have always seen these discussions of drinking, among fundamentalists, as curious.

Fundamentalists do not know what to do with Jesus and they stumble over themselves.

.tim said:

The concept of sex as a gift from God is a hard pill to swallow in light of today's culture.

FSSL said:
I have always seen these discussions of drinking, among fundamentalists, as curious.

Fundamentalists do not know what to do with Jesus and they stumble over themselves.

Unless your definition of "fundamentalist" is an extremely broad one, there are plenty of evangelicals within the Southern Baptist (and others) camp that would argue that Jesus nor the Bible ain't a problem for them, but recreational consumption of alcohol for Christians is.

FWIW John MacArthur falls into the "Jesus didn't make alcohol" camp.

ALAYMAN said:
FSSL said:

Unless your definition of "fundamentalist" is an extremely broad one, there are plenty of evangelicals within the Southern Baptist (and others) camp that would argue that Jesus nor the Bible ain't a problem for them, but recreational consumption of alcohol for Christians is.

Fundamentalists do not know what to do with Jesus and alcohol... I am sure, as you point out, that others do as well.

So, Alayman, are you among those who do not know what to do with Jesus?

FSSL said:
Fundamentalists do not know what to do with Jesus and alcohol... I am sure, as you point out, that others do as well.

So, Alayman, are you among those who do not know what to do with Jesus?

I know that your marginalization of anybody who disagrees with you will leave you encapable of reasonable civil discussion. :)

ALAYMAN said:
I know that your marginalization of anybody who disagrees with you will leave you encapable of reasonable civil discussion. :)

Oh.... there for a second I thought you were having an epiphany about yourself. :D

Nevertheless... I will not drag you into a discussion about what the Bible actually teaches about wine. I will accept that you are "encapable." :p