Hacker Trivia!!

Vince Massi said:
Depending on how you count, three different students can claim to have had the world's largest bus route.  What did all three have in common?

They all knew how to jump-start frozen buses?

From a trip to the Pacific Garden Mission.

Anyone else ever meet Harry Saulnier?  What I remember is a prayer meeting before an evening service. I was kneeling next to him & as he prayed I was struck with a feeling of awe, that if I opened my eyes.............The Lord would be standing there.

Vince Massi said:
Depending on how you count, three different students can claim to have had the world's largest bus route.  What did all three have in common?

They were all expelled.

Note to Twisted: Good one, but all of us knew how to start frozen buses.

Jo said:
Their hope of recognition allowed them to fudge their numbers?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

The second two didn't have to. JimVineyard simply added other buses to their routes and gave the leader credit for what the others had done.

fishinnut said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Twisted said:
Smellin Coffee said:
BALAAM said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Which former HAC Bible teacher was actually featured on the old America's Most Wanted program?

Wasn't it the guy who was manufacturer or selling machine gun silencers?

Correct.

I believe he also ran guns across the Canadian border, but not too sure about that.

Didn't Cal Streeter run off to Canada?

Dunno.

OK, the answer to HAC trivia:

The HAC Bible teacher featured on America's Most Wanted is....

Al Waddell

Here's an old article:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/02/04/125099-preacher-convicted-of-weapons-charges-is-freed/
I remember him.

During one of Waddell's classes in the mid 70's, Ron Ruben, a man who would later teach history at HBJHS after his graduation, would always ask "stupid" questions during Waddell's classes.  Ruben's questions were always expected and anticipated by other students and Waddell had had enough.  During another class period, Ruben asked another one of his "stupid" questions.  Without hesitation, Waddell reached under his podium, pulled out a gun and pointed it at Ruben while saying, "Ruben, I'm tired of you asking stupid questions every class period"
and then he shot the gun at Ruben.  The gun had blanks?..Ruben's face was ghostly white?.the class went into an uproar of laughter?.class had to be dismissed?..and,?..  Ruben never asked another question in Waddell's class!

prophet said:
qwerty said:
Holy Moley said:
fishinnut said:
This morning a memory of an incident while at HAC came to mind.

I worked with a guy for 3.5 years while there. I had given him the gospel & witnessing tracts but he had no interest & was the typical C atholic. I never noticed........just did it........but according to him would walk in whistling often........probably some song from chapel.

One day I walked in & he acted like he was made at me & asked, "Why are you always whistling?! You always act like everything in life in alright & good."

I told him that was not true but I knew Jesus Christ as my Savior & He is good & when life isn't good He has the ability & power to make it turn around for good.

That was when he reached in his pocket & pulled out a tract & asked, "Is that was what this is all about?"

I answered, "Yes."

He asked me to explain it to him again. I did.

He told me that the night before he had read it over & over & had prayed & asked Jesus to save just like I had explained it.

It pays to keep living all out............for Jesus.

I'll see Pete in Heaven some day.

This reminds me of when I worked in the Century Mall in the early 1980's.  I had a manager whose name was Carol.  She was a mess.  She'd tease me publicly about being a 20 year old virgin and being Baptist, but privately she'd ask me tons of questions.  We talked for hours (Century Mall was quite dead during the recession of 1980-83).  One night she announced to me, "I'm ready".  I said to do what?  She said "To get saved."  I took her through the Scripture and she prayed and trusted Christ.  She even called our district manager who was a believer and told him.  She started growing and asking questions.  I was going home for the summer and she told me she was going to start visiting First Baptist.

What I didn't know was that she was pregnant by her former boyfriend.  She did go to First Baptist.  Hyles chose that Sunday to scream at a woman who had walked out of the service to use the restroom and then came back in.  She had a small child with her.  She was appalled.  I made excuses and she returned.

Unbeknownst to me, she decided to talk to someone about her pregnancy.  She was considering putting it up for adoption.  She called the church, naively asking for Hyles.  She was shuffled to Ray Young. 

When I came back in the fall and got my job back, the first day she looked at me and stuck her finger out at me and said, "Don't ever talk to me again about God, your Christianity or that Church!"  Once she calmed down, she told me that she'd gone to Ray Young for Counsel and told her about her recent conversion and her pregnancy.

His first question to her, "Is the baby's father white or black?" 

To my knowledge, she never darkened the door to a church again.  It broke my heart.

What a jackass.  What a cult.  What a tragedy.
Probably wanted a little insight before he cracked a racist joke....

Or before recommending an abortion.
I wish this wasn't so true.

earnestly contend

Going through the archives and found this.  What a moroon!  Was Ray Young on staff at that point?  I hope that woman found a better church and a better person to talk to after that!  Is RY still on staff?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Looks like some other people heard about Teri in NC biting the ends off of pickles to fit them into the boxes of Pastors School box lunches.........

tobytyler said:
During one of Waddell's classes in the mid 70's, Ron Ruben, a man who would later teach history at HBJHS after his graduation, would always ask "stupid" questions during Waddell's classes.  Ruben's questions were always expected and anticipated by other students and Waddell had had enough.  During another class period, Ruben asked another one of his "stupid" questions.  Without hesitation, Waddell reached under his podium, pulled out a gun and pointed it at Ruben while saying, "Ruben, I'm tired of you asking stupid questions every class period"
and then he shot the gun at Ruben.  The gun had blanks?..Ruben's face was ghostly white?.the class went into an uproar of laughter?.class had to be dismissed?..and,?..  Ruben never asked another question in Waddell's class!

YMBAH if............................

fishinnut said:
From a trip to the Pacific Garden Mission.

Anyone else ever meet Harry Saulnier?  What I remember is a prayer meeting before an evening service. I was kneeling next to him & as he prayed I was struck with a feeling of awe, that if I opened my eyes.............The Lord would be standing there.

He was a gem!

I was cleaning some old files today and found a stack of Chapel sermon notes from Combs preaching . Just seeing the titles of the messages........... :-[ :-[I bagged them for the trash man as I didn't want my shredder to get sick.

fishinnut said:
I was cleaning some old files today and found a stack of Chapel sermon notes from Combs preaching . Just seeing the titles of the messages........... :-[ :-[I bagged them for the trash man as I didn't want my shredder to get sick.
Kind of reminds me when I come across the occasional Schaap book I have leftover from my Schaap book purge...Blechhhhh

My wife saw someone on social media tell about when they were a student at another Christian college that they attended a secular concert...............got me wondering...........

Are there any HACkers who might have attended any while you were at HAC?
Who did you hear?
Did you go with other HACkers?

fishinnut said:
My wife saw someone on social media tell about when they were a student at another Christian college that they attended a secular concert...............got me wondering...........

Who did you hear?

1992, Smashing Pumpkins,  and Local H. 1993 Gin Blossoms
Couple other HACkers joined along.

qwerty said:
fishinnut said:

Who did you hear?

SHEESH... if you're  going to break the rules why don't you go to a concert and hear a real rock band instead of sissified punker rock?

16KJV11 said:
qwerty said:
fishinnut said:

Who did you hear?

SHEESH... if you're  going to break the rules why don't you go to a concert and hear a real rock band instead of sissified punker rock?

You tell'em!

fishinnut said:

Who did you hear?

I know of a few that attended concerts at the place attached to the hotel.  Was it called the Holidome????

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Who did you hear?

I know of a few that attended concerts at the place attached to the hotel.  Was it called the Holidome????

Must have been Star Plaza Theatre.

BALAAM said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Who did you hear?

I do believe that is it.  Every once in a while some Hacker would sneak down to a concert.  It was when they opened their mouth and told someone else that the trouble began.  :)

Must have been Star Plaza Theatre.