Hylesisms

Baptist City Holdout

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Recently a young poster asked about what "Clippin' Coupons" meant. there are many expressions, words, bits of lingo used by Bro. Hyles and the FBCH world that really have limited understanding. This is a thread devoted to transferring the meaning of that wealth of knowledge. remember the rule: One per post.

Clipping Coupons: Bro. Hyles had invested a lifetime into others. He had many preacher boys around the nation... Yea... the world. When he would hear of one of them doing well, or of a ministry thriving that he had influenced..... he said he was "Clipping coupons!"

Living above the clouds or

"I try to live my life up here above the clouds

sword said:

Not sufficient to gave a phrase - you must define what it meant.

sword said:

For example, does this mean that he didn't believe in keeping his feet on the ground?

Baptist City Holdout said:
Clipping Coupons: Bro. Hyles had invested a lifetime into others. He had many preacher boys around the nation... Yea... the world. When he would hear of one of them doing well, or of a ministry thriving that he had influenced..... he said he was "Clipping coupons!"

This comes from old-time banking days.  When one purchased a bond, it would have multiple "coupons" across one side that one would "clip" off and turn in for cash. The idea is that you did the hard work long ago, and are now (in the present) reaping rewards.

sword said:
"Boopsie-Woopsie,

Not sure what the real origin of this phrase is: I think it is from an old TV or radio show.  Maybe his mother called him this, and it was a reminder of his childhood time with her.

Heeeeyaaa!!

Brother Hyles would yell this when he wanted to get someones attention.  When he yelled it over the FBCH PA system it was legendary.

Cheese Quarter Pounder

Dr. Hyles was a pretty healthy eater.  He did have a love for a McDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese.  For some reason he always refered to it as a "Cheese Quarter Pounder".

"I got a tiger by the tail"

An oft used statement regarding what it took to manage all the ministries that FBCH had under it's umbrella.

sword said:
"I got a tiger by the tail"

An oft used statement regarding what it took to manage all the ministries that FBCH had under it's umbrella.

Also a Buck Owens song!!

Walt said:
sword said:
"Boopsie-Woopsie,
Not sure what the real origin of this phrase is: I think it is from an old TV or radio show.  Maybe his mother called him this, and it was a reminder of his childhood time with her.
This was the PET name, for Jack Hyles, used by many of the female students at Hyles Anderson College.

Used most often when he would speak in Chapel or would meet with all the girl student body.

Now, let's tell the story about how this applies to Bro. Hyles.

"Where's the Beef"

Comes from the 1984 Wendy's  restaurants chain commercial where actress Clara Peller looks at her hamburger and yells out "Where's the Beef".

The phrase was used by the girls from Hyles Anderson college when they wanted to see their Pastors muscles.

Not sure if the phrase still works.

sword said:
"Where's the Beef"

Comes from the 1984 Wendy's  restaurants chain commercial where actress Clara Peller looks at her hamburger and yells out "Where's the Beef".

The phrase was used by the girls from Hyles Anderson college when they wanted to see their Pastors muscles.

Not sure if the phrase still works.

I also remember him using this phrase when preaching his sermon "Logic Must Prove the King James Bible".

sword said:
Walt said:
sword said:
"Boopsie-Woopsie,
This was the PET name, for Jack Hyles, used by many of the female students at Hyles Anderson College.

Used most often when he would speak in Chapel or would meet with all the girl student body.

Now, let's tell the story about how this applies to Bro. Hyles.

I know it was a name used in the manner described above, but I don't know where JH got in from; I'm not sure that he made it up himself.  I think I've heard it used on a "George & Grace" old-time radio show.

He throw an old kids poem in the middel of a sermon for some unknown reason called Three Little Fishes.

Down in the meadow in a
little bitty pool
Swam three little fishies
And a mama fishie too
"Swim," said the mama fishie,
"Swim if you can."
And they swam and they swam all
over the dam...............he says..................."DARN!"

Buffet your body.

He liked to say that back in his overeating days when he had a triple chin.

He loosened his tie a lot in those days.