Hylesisms

brainisengaged said:
Norefund said:
If you want to be like Jesus Brother Hyles in every way,

I think this is why there are so many posters ashamed of this.

Norefund, yes. You are correct, at least in my case.
I now go to a church that is very healthy. The motto is "All About Him". I've been there a year and have carefully observed it truly IS all about Him. It is not all about the Pastor, which is all I was about for the past quarter century. To my shame, a quarter century largely wasted and regrettably lost. I do think things are moving in a different direction now at FBC, but for me it is simply too late. I'm kind of like Rhett Butler, whose passion for Scarlett died. "Something inside has died and I can't hide it, I just can't fake it." :)

Someone should write a song! :)

brainisengaged said:
Norefund said:
If you want to be like Jesus Brother Hyles in every way,

I think this is why there are so many posters ashamed of this.

Norefund, yes. You are correct, at least in my case.
I now go to a church that is very healthy. The motto is "All About Him". I've been there a year and have carefully observed it truly IS all about Him. It is not all about the Pastor, which is all I was about for the past quarter century. To my shame, a quarter century largely wasted and regrettably lost. I do think things are moving in a different direction now at FBC, but for me it is simply too late. I'm kind of like Rhett Butler, whose passion for Scarlett died. "Something inside has died and I can't hide it, I just can't fake it." :)

Got the T Shirt too.

If I have learned anything from my years on this and the previous 2 forums it's this, There are still a lot of bitter & hurt people out there.

I wish I knew how to help them but I don't. I guess all I can say for those who have moved on, as well as those who have chosen to stay, is stop looking in the past & move forward with whatever God has for you.

Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

I apologize, it is poor manners for me to rain on the parade of those for whom HAC were their halcyon days, perhaps even their best or most dear days. You probably come on here to reminisce and enjoy your memories, and a few of us interject some quite opposing thoughts / feelings. I will really, really try to refrain from raining on your parade! It is a great weakness that I am continually drawn to this site.

For me, it felt like I stood in a desert for 25 years that everyone else was describing as a beautiful lush garden. I just didn't see it. It was akin to "The Emperor Has No Clothes"... But they used so many superlatives all the time...This will be the greatest women's conference, she is America's top Christian woman speaker, our Bible teachers are world class, sought after by all, this will be the most amazing play, this new book will revolutionize your life...everything was built up so very much, I just thought for 25 years that something was wrong with me. Everyone else 'got it' and I didn't. I tried SO hard to fit in with the program, to believe in it all, and to surrender my life to it, but it never truly felt right.

Stepping away in faith caused me to realize that for me, the beautiful fertile garden was a few steps away.

I am not bitter, but I do regret things. That is true. (I am assuming your comment was mainly directed to me, so I am answering it!)

Nothing anyone can say would help, but God makes all things new. Praise His holy name.

brainisengaged said:
Can you picture yourself doing that with your congregation, Tom?
It's embarrassing. And we did it. And he loved it. And we loved it.
How is that overreacting?

Jack Hyles had a sense of humor and enjoyed laughter.  Yes, there would be a goofy song or two.  There would be a comment made and the crowd would answer back.  People enjoyed that side of him.  How in the world is that embarrassing?

Tom Brennan said:
brainisengaged said:

Honestly? Yes, I can.

You know me. You know I don't carry water for Bro. Hyles where I think he was wrong. And he was wrong on several things and deeply wrong on more than one. But those facts don't make such things as you have described nefarious. It was a moment of lighthearted and affectionate fun between a pastor and people that loved each other. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Exactly!!

brainisengaged said:
I apologize, it is poor manners for me to rain on the parade of those for whom HAC were their halcyon days, perhaps even their best or most dear days. You probably come on here to reminisce and enjoy your memories, and a few of us interject some quite opposing thoughts / feelings. I will really, really try to refrain from raining on your parade! It is a great weakness that I am continually drawn to this site.

For me, it felt like I stood in a desert for 25 years that everyone else was describing as a beautiful lush garden. I just didn't see it. It was akin to "The Emperor Has No Clothes"... But they used so many superlatives all the time...This will be the greatest women's conference, she is America's top Christian woman speaker, our Bible teachers are world class, sought after by all, this will be the most amazing play, this new book will revolutionize your life...everything was built up so very much, I just thought for 25 years that something was wrong with me. Everyone else 'got it' and I didn't. I tried SO hard to fit in with the program, to believe in it all, and to surrender my life to it, but it never truly felt right.

Stepping away in faith caused me to realize that for me, the beautiful fertile garden was a few steps away.

I am not bitter, but I do regret things. That is true. (I am assuming your comment was mainly directed to me, so I am answering it!)

Nothing anyone can say would help, but God makes all things new. Praise His holy name.

We value your thoughts and want you to post them.  If we feel another way, we will let it be known.  Because you were/are there you add a unique perspective.

brainisengaged said:
It was akin to "The Emperor Has No Clothes"...

Believe it or not, that is actually a chapter title in my new book...

Tom Brennan said:
brainisengaged said:
It was akin to "The Emperor Has No Clothes"...

Believe it or not, that is actually a chapter title in my new book...

It AAAAAAAAALL about "the book"!!  :)

If it were an isolated instance, then I guess I would agree. It was not. In every way, we were supposed to want to be like and admire JH. He had many ways of telling us this.

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

Jack Hyles had a sense of humor and enjoyed laughter.  Yes, there would be a goofy song or two.  There would be a comment made and the crowd would answer back.  People enjoyed that side of him.  How in the world is that embarrassing?

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

He definitely had a sense of humor and loved people. 

Here's the thing, When his sermons made him  the hero and the joking and laughter was brought back to him and focused on him being the..........whatever, that is the problem.........again it was about him. 

Tom wanting to joke with the members of the church he pastors, in this manner may not be an issue but Tom isn't the hero of 9 out of 10 sermons either.  And if I understand Tom correctly he would by the grace of God not allow man worship as did Jack Hyles. Therefore no issue with joking like this but when Jack Hyles does it.....yes big issue. 

Norefund said:
If it were an isolated instance, then I guess I would agree. It was not. In every way, we were supposed to want to be like and admire JH. He had many ways of telling us this.

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

So this is suppose to make you want to be like and admire Jack Hyles?????

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
If you want to be like Brother Hyles in every way,
You will buffet your body,
Every day!

RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

Norefund said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

So that makes YOU want to be like Jack Hyles?  It actually makes you want to go to a buffet and eat every day?  You are actually that gullible?  You actually lack that much of a sense of humor?

If you paid attention you would have known that there was a "story behind the song".  For many years Dr. Hyles watched what he ate very closely.  He did not have a weight problem and always looked to be in good health.  He started having some physical problems and had to change things per doctor's orders.  If I remember correctly he had to eat several smaller meals each day.  He started gaining weight which I'm sure bothered him.  People began to make comments to him about it.  He decided to joke about it.  He started using the "you can't keep pants on a funnel" line.  He started saying that he wanted to be like Paul so he would "buffet his body daily".  He made a joke out of it and thus the silly song that you guys are building into a mountain.  Get over it!!

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day! 

RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

I believe you're missing something Raider.

I was there from kindergarten through 5th grade and then my family moved back to the great state of South Louisiana.   

I specifically remember an  instance in my family's car discussing reading through the entire bible.  I don't remember the entire conversation but I do remember me saying, "not even Bro. Hyles has read through the entire bible".  This mentality was forced and pushed.  I was a kid and we were heavily involved.  From Hammond Baptist schools to the Sunday schools and everything in-between.  He was set up as...........almost sinless and that was the mentality in the school system there. 

So, when a song like this is sung................well, forget it, because I don't believe you ever will understand.  It's just not good at a place like this.

RAIDER said:
Norefund said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

So that makes YOU want to be like Jack Hyles?  It actually makes you want to go to a buffet and eat every day?  You are actually that gullible?  You actually lack that much of a sense of humor?

It isn't going to make you go to a restaurant and pig out but the implication is.......BE LIKE JACK HYLES IN EVERY WAY.

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

It isn't going to make you go to a restaurant and pig out but the implication is.......BE LIKE JACK HYLES IN EVERY WAY.

It's a joke!  It's humor!!

Bruh said:
I believe you're missing something Raider.

I was there from kindergarten through 5th grade and then my family moved back to the great state of South Louisiana.   

I specifically remember an  instance in my family's car discussing reading through the entire bible.  I don't remember the entire conversation but I do remember me saying, "not even Bro. Hyles has read through the entire bible".  This mentality was forced and pushed.  I was a kid and we were heavily involved.  From Hammond Baptist schools to the Sunday schools and everything in-between.  He was set up as...........almost sinless and that was the mentality in the school system there. 

So, when a song like this is sung................well, forget it, because I don't believe you ever will understand.  It's just not good at a place like this.

You were a young kid and you thought reading through the Bible was an impossibility so you commented that even the preacher hasn't read through the entire Bible.  That could be said by any kid at any church.  Come on!