Hylesisms

bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.

He liked to say that back in his overeating days when he had a triple chin.

He loosened his tie a lot in those days.

Can you believe we used to gleefully sing in church:
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
If you want to be like Brother Hyles in every way,
You will buffet your body,
Every day!

Then we would hoot and holler.
I am so sad and sorry to think this was what was called church. :(

brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

Well said.

Even sadder are those that still think it was not only "church", but "a great church".

brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

Yep, it was more like a comedy club with joke a minute from our performer "The Great Comedian".

Truly sad.

Remember how he said he could just call out a joke number and we would laugh because he had told them so many times.

bgwilkinson said:
brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!
Yep, it was more like a comedy club with joke a minute from our performer "The Great Comedian".
Truly sad.
If you dis-liked Jack Hyles & the style of his church why were you a member for nearly 50 years?

Did you just come to realize how bad you dis-liked it or did you endure the ministry & the man for some other reason. Did you ever tell JH or JS or anyone else how you felt. Did you ever voice concern in the deacons meetings. Are you saying you knew all this was going on with Dave, then JH and finally JS and you sat in the deacons meeting silently? I don't get it.

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!
Truly sad.
If you dis-liked Jack Hyles & the style of his church why were you a member for nearly 50 years?

Did you just come to realize how bad you dis-liked it or did you endure the ministry & the man for some other reason. Did you ever tell JH or JS or anyone else how you felt. Did you ever voice concern in the deacons meetings. Are you saying you knew all this was going on with Dave, then JH and finally JS and you sat in the deacons meeting silently? I don't get it.

You are incorrect, I love Bro. Hyles, but I will no longer lie for him. It took me a couple of decades to get over my Hyles worship. I first got to know Bro. Hyles at Miller Road. I developed a bond with him that was hard to break.

It is important that people learn from the mistakes he made so that they can be avoided.

Yes I have come to dislike the Hyles style as it is so embedded with immorality and corruption. FBCH is moving away from what was in the past.
We just had to recognize how bad his style really was. It was not great but bad. Bro. Hyles was never openly corrupt like Jack Schaap, he was far too smart for that.

The congregation I attend has less to do with one church employee, the pastor, and more to do with my family and friends, after all there are hundreds of my family and relatives attending FBCH and hundreds more who are close friends for decades, you don't just chuck that overboard because you disagree with one employee. Maybe others would but not me or my family.

God asks that we not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, nothing is said about listening to someone preach. It's the family and friends that are important. The pastor is only important to the degree he follows God's Word. Schaap was less and less relevant in the last couple of years he was an employee of FBCH. Our SS classes and Bible class become more important with a bad pastor.

Yes in the last few years I opposed Schaap publicly in the meetings on Saturday with some success, but Schaap was too far gone. He was a pervert and we that were not his employees did not see it. It was his employees that saw the extremely bad behavior, but they never reported it to the deacons who are the church officials that are responsible to the corporation to monitor the pastor. That is written into our bylaws now.

When I would meet with him in his office he always had to have a couple of his groupies with him. He would never act up around me. Always was a perfect gentleman.

With Bro. Hyles I plead guilty to being in the tank as a Hyles worshiper, of course I didn't think of it that way back then, but we always asked what does "Preacher" think, what do you want to do "Preacher"? It was always about "Preacher" and not about the LORD. We treated him as if he was the LORD in the flesh. He was our idol. We would vehemently deny it of course. We knew it was sin to worship man as God.

The reason so many of our children have left the church is that they recognize that the parents are fakes, just whited sepulchres filled with dead men's bones.

You can tell how good a pastor or deacon was or will be by how his family turns out. That says it all. It is the Bible way to evaluate a church leader.

Makes no difference how many sermons were preached how many people were claimed as being saved and baptized, if he looses his family he is not fit to serve.

That is how Bro. Hyles is viewed today.

He lost his family in so many ways.

Did his family follow him or did they leave the faith?

bgwilkinson said:
sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!
Truly sad.

You are incorrect, I love Bro. Hyles, but I will no longer lie for him. It took me a couple of decades to get over my Hyles worship. I first got to know Bro. Hyles at Miller Road. I developed a bond with him that was hard to break.

It is important that people learn from the mistakes he made so that they can be avoided.

Yes I have come to dislike the Hyles style as it is so embedded with immorality and corruption. FBCH is moving away from what was in the past.
We just had to recognize how bad his style really was. It was not great but bad. Bro. Hyles was never openly corrupt like Jack Schaap, he was far too smart for that.

The congregation I attend has less to do with one church employee, the pastor, and more to do with my family and friends, after all there are hundreds of my family and relatives attending FBCH and hundreds more who are close friends for decades, you don't just chuck that overboard because you disagree with one employee. Maybe others would but not me or my family.

God asks that we not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, nothing is said about listening to someone preach. It's the family and friends that are important. The pastor is only important to the degree he follows God's Word. Schaap was less and less relevant in the last couple of years he was an employee of FBCH. Our SS classes and Bible class become more important with a bad pastor.

Yes in the last few years I opposed Schaap publicly in the meetings on Saturday with some success, but Schaap was too far gone. He was a pervert and we that were not his employees did not see it. It was his employees that saw the extremely bad behavior, but they never reported it to the deacons who are the church officials that are responsible to the corporation to monitor the pastor. That is written into our bylaws now.

When I would meet with him in his office he always had to have a couple of his groupies with him. He would never act up around me. Always was a perfect gentleman.

With Bro. Hyles I plead guilty to being in the tank as a Hyles worshiper, of course I didn't think of it that way back then, but we always asked what does "Preacher" think, what do you want to do "Preacher"? It was always about "Preacher" and not about the LORD. We treated him as if he was the LORD in the flesh. He was our idol. We would vehemently deny it of course. We knew it was sin to worship man as God.

The reason so many of our children have left the church is that they recognize that the parents are fakes, just whited sepulchres filled with dead men's bones.

You can tell how good a pastor or deacon was or will be by how his family turns out. That says it all. It is the Bible way to evaluate a church leader.

Makes no difference how many sermons were preached how many people were claimed as being saved and baptized, if he looses his family he is not fit to serve.

That is how Bro. Hyles is viewed today.

He lost his family in so many ways.

Did his family follow him or did they leave the faith?

All of this I knew, without you saying it.

This is why you've never heard me ask you the same thing.

I also know that you are of a different era of fundamentalism, and not of the era that was formed from the mid-80's through the mid 90's.

I think you had to be there, and contribute to the Ministry, to understand.

When you've led hundreds of people to the Lord, and family and friends of a lifetime are there, you're heart is there.

Half of the people I love, are in the Hammond area.

earnestly contend

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!
Truly sad.

BG is just a man.

As much as you wish, he can't be held to perfection.

BG, love you and yours.

brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

Which time period?

brainisengaged said:
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

I think you are overreacting here.

Tom Brennan said:
brainisengaged said:
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!

I think you are overreacting here.

Sure he was overreacting.

JH was our example.

Not Jesus.

Can you picture yourself doing that with your congregation, Tom?
It's embarrassing. And we did it. And he loved it. And we loved it.
How is that overreacting?

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
brainisengaged said:
bgwilkinson said:
Buffet your body.
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
Every day!
Truly sad.

If we all sing Kumbaya together will that bring back the strong feelings that many of us had when we were attending FBC and HAC many years ago?

brainisengaged said:
Can you picture yourself doing that with your congregation, Tom?
It's embarrassing. And we did it. And he loved it. And we loved it.
How is that overreacting?

Honestly? Yes, I can.

You know me. You know I don't carry water for Bro. Hyles where I think he was wrong. And he was wrong on several things and deeply wrong on more than one. But those facts don't make such things as you have described nefarious. It was a moment of lighthearted and affectionate fun between a pastor and people that loved each other. And there is nothing wrong with that.

If you want to be like Jesus Brother Hyles in every way,

I think this is why there are so many posters ashamed of this.

"I'll bind you one thing brother"

I think this means "The next thing I say is true"

He loved to say "Dead Sure", but we knew what he meant.

Norefund said:
If you want to be like Jesus Brother Hyles in every way,

I think this is why there are so many posters ashamed of this.

Norefund, yes. You are correct, at least in my case.
I now go to a church that is very healthy. The motto is "All About Him". I've been there a year and have carefully observed it truly IS all about Him. It is not all about the Pastor, which is all I was about for the past quarter century. To my shame, a quarter century largely wasted and regrettably lost. I do think things are moving in a different direction now at FBC, but for me it is simply too late. I'm kind of like Rhett Butler, whose passion for Scarlett died. "Something inside has died and I can't hide it, I just can't fake it." :)