Is IFB a cult?

TonyHutsonComedian

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day, Key staff members were given a lease car that the church provided every 3 years. Most staff also had a second car that was a beater. JH taught that you should pay your staff such that they continue to be reliant upon God. Then, the church can swoop in with extra gifts at needed times to help build unity and appreciation for the church offerings. Yeah - you could say that was manipulation and control.

So did Hyles (and later Schaap) drive a nice car (Cadillac or Lincoln Continental) while HAC/FBC Staffers drove Ford Pintos?? I digress. Bro Tony Hutson drives a big ol' pickup truck HAY-MAN!

sawthruglassclearly

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! Sounds like you accomplished quite a bit. Honestly - I am not attacking - I am curious. Why would you say your experience was akin to a witness protection program? Did you fear for your safety after leaving? Honestly, I don't get it.

Maybe my experience was just different. So many of my friends left the IFB long before I did. They just quite coming, got jobs in the area and went on with their life. Looking at their Facebook, it appears many of them enjoy sharing a pint while talking about old times at local establishments, but I don't think they are in fear. I know some who talk about living a phony life and how when they left to live as they really are, many people snubbed them, but again, I wouldn't call that a cult. None of those people are living in hiding. When I joined an SBC church, many people were shocked and some of my family were hurt. Some people in the IFB don't really want to have much to do with me. I don't take that as cultish, I think we are just different and the thing that united us is no longer present.
I’ve no doubt that you don’t get it. Really getting it requires a life-altering awakening. If I answered your questions here, in a way that might have a remote chance at doing that, then I would reveal enough of myself to make all of my efforts to protect myself become moot. To explain is to reveal. To conceal is to protect. Even blissful liberation does not liberate me from the hellacious memories of that event and all that was to follow. I have not been completely safe since, and the art of concealment is daily practice. Suffice to say that IFB has its own version of mafia. I don’t expect you to understand that.

Norefund

Registered
Reaction score
So did Hyles (and later Schaap) drive a nice car (Cadillac or Lincoln Continental) while HAC/FBC Staffers drove Ford Pintos?? I digress. Bro Tony Hutson drives a big ol' pickup truck HAY-MAN!
I think all of the staff cars were an Oldsmobile Cutlass. At least in the 70’s they were.

TonyHutsonComedian

Registered
Reaction score
I think all of the staff cars were an Oldsmobile Cutlass. At least in the 70’s they were.
Was Jack Hyles wearing his signature shades/tinted glasses at the time? That's another story.

At Hellsong New York, the metrosexual girly man Carl Lentz ( a false teacher who was also fired by Hellsong) would drive up in a new $400,000 Bentley while the staff members drove Mustangs/Corvettes. Lentz may be a false teacher but he at least gave his staff members expensive sports cars.

Binaca Chugger

Doctor
Registered
Reaction score
A big ol pick up truck is the only thing that can haul that fat man!

Starlifter

Registered
Reaction score
A big ol pick up truck is the only thing that can haul that fat man!
I have a Tacoma and it barely fit a 'rather large' friend of mine. He gave me grief for not having a 'man's pick up truck'.

Binaca Chugger

Doctor
Registered
Reaction score
Was Jack Hyles wearing his signature shades/tinted glasses at the time? That's another story.

At Hellsong New York, the metrosexual girly man Carl Lentz ( a false teacher who was also fired by Hellsong) would drive up in a new $400,000 Bentley while the staff members drove Mustangs/Corvettes. Lentz may be a false teacher but he at least gave his staff members expensive sports cars.
If you are driving a $400,000 Bentley and your staff only get a $30,000 Mustang, it is much worse than JH driving the mail car and his staff driving other beaters.