Is there a mass flight away from the IFB movement?

groupie

Elect
Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that there a mass movement away from the IFB movement? I have been running into and talking with a slew of former FBC kids (well they are all grow up now, but still kids to me! LOL) that want nothing to do with the IFB movement. There are also many long time members of FBC that have left as well and attending other churches in the area. Everyone of them has the same story how they are tired of that junk. It goes two ways - either they are out of church totally or they are going to (and loving) way more contemporary church. The ones out of church are a lot less than the ones that are still in church. I also notice they seem quite upbeat, extremely happy and very committed to the Lord. I always feel very blessed and encouraged after these encounters.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes.  My own brother who has attended an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church for years has been looking for another church recently.  He told me he will never join another Independent Baptist church.

I'm not sure which "FBC" you are referring to above. But this has been going on for years. The old traditional, hymns, choirs, type of music used for specials, order of services, expected dress-up suits & dresses, the same pulpit, 3 points & a poem that hammer home guilt trips to the members type of preaching have become old, excepted, tired and boring. Many people endure rather than enjoy the same old same-same old.

There are many newer churches that offer the opposite, where there are thrilling, uplifting, alive, joyful, energetic services where the Word is taught & preached & grace rather than guilt trips point their people to living all out for Christ. The music is newly written & performed & sung with joy.

If you are referring to FBCH.................small wonder.

No. But there is a mass wave of noticing people who have.

In my mind and experiences the "Independent Baptist Church" has been tainted forever with "King James Onlyism," along with "standards" such as no female can sing in the choir unless she wears a dress, guilt trips with altar calls, the pastor having complete control over how the church is run instead of being run by elders, questioning someone's salvation if they don't remember a "time or date" when they got saved along with many other things that I no longer adhere to.  Right or wrong there are many that can't shake those associations.

Tom Brennan said:

Hilarious. 

Makes the turncoats feel better if they can find others like em....

groupie said:
Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that there a mass movement away from the IFB movement? I have been running into and talking with a slew of former FBC kids (well they are all grow up now, but still kids to me! LOL) that want nothing to do with the IFB movement. There are also many long time members of FBC that have left as well and attending other churches in the area. Everyone of them has the same story how they are tired of that junk. It goes two ways - either they are out of church totally or they are going to (and loving) way more contemporary church. The ones out of church are a lot less than the ones that are still in church. I also notice they seem quite upbeat, extremely happy and very committed to the Lord. I always feel very blessed and encouraged after these encounters.

This is news?  A bunch of HB pagan brats are no longer in church or going to a contemporary church?  Shocking.... 8)

Frag said:
Tom Brennan said:

Hilarious. 

No.......the term "turncoats" is hilarious............ ::)

Frag said:
groupie said:

This is news?  A bunch of HB pagan brats are no longer in church or going to a contemporary church?  Shocking.... 8)
Such grace......

Phil. 4:23

Frag said:
groupie said:

Evidence Tag #2,685 and counting ...  8)

Our church is actually growing.
Most people who come appreciate singing that isn't overpowered by the music and that actually has a message instead of repeating the same chorus over and over again.
They like that they actually learn the Bible and I don't apologize for preaching with conviction where people get 'convicted' about sin.
But they know it is going to be balanced with love and grace.
They like that there is substance to the message, (not hobby horses) that we love the Lord Jesus, that we love and sincerely pray for people, that their kids learn the Bible.
And believe me, I don't have a very fundamental congregation, but we do have standards for the workers.
We are KJVO, nobody complains.
I don't 'run' the church, our deacons play a big part in decision making in many areas.
To me, it's just good old fashioned Christianity.
You'd be amazed at how God takes care of this 'Old Fashioned Church'.
I have never seen anything like it in my life.

Frag said:
Tom Brennan said:

Hilarious. 

I don't know that there is a mass movement...but there seems to be a 'slow bleeding'.
I live in a mecca of IFB's...300 plus IFB churches in our general area.
With rare exceptions, they are in decline...at least numerically.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Frag said:
Tom Brennan said:

Hilarious. 

No denying it, along with most other main-line denominational churches. I mentioned several months ago a book called "Already Gone" written by Ham and Beemer, hardly what most would call 'hardline fundamentalists'.

I don't know that there is a mass movement...but there seems to be a 'slow bleeding'.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Frag said:
Tom Brennan said:

Hilarious. 

You know... the very fact you have 300 IFB churches in your general area.... says a lot about what some of the problems are.....

I left the IFB movement a long long time ago because of the lies..... and the "old paths" being taught from personal preference. Sorry. The Old paths aren't rooted in the social structures of the 50s and the early 60s. They're a lot older than that. Its not about old music. Old patterns. Old habits... and its not about a time in which America was entirely too proud of herself and its way of life.

When I left IFBdum...I didn't go across the street and start a new IFB church with a different "personality". IFBs have long been so "independent"... they could care less about actually doing what is necessary to get along. From the pulpit on down. Not everyone is right all the time. I read once that Ruth Graham said that a good marriage is a union between two good forgivers. The same can be said of the local church.

300 local IFB churches all going their own way is entirely ungodly and down right stupid.

Frag said:
groupie said:

Me thinks we have discovered one of the big problems!  Frag and Frag wannabbees! Listen to this guy for a while and it is no wonder people would not want to attend a church with him at the wheel.

groupie said:

Okay Groupie, I don't know you and don't know if you are a member at fbc or what but here is the jist of a text my son received last week. He was raised at fbch along with a lot of other people and is now attending a non-denominational church in the area. These folks are not as frag would paint them. Very devoted and faithful. He and another young man (also a former fbc whatever frag called them) were asked to lead a small group.  This guy sends a text and says we need to get together and discuss ways to minister to all of these former 'fundamentalists' who are flocking to our church. I don't agree that he used the correct word. It is sad that so many who grow up and hear the word fundamental 24 tiimes a week have little idea of what a "fundamentalist" is. These poor kids think it must be something like frag.

I used t be a member of FBC, but am no longer there. I do not think I could ever return to that sort of church. The church I go to now is so loving and there is actually fellowship there. In all the years I was at FBC, I never felt loved or that I had any real friends there. I was a friend to many, but to be honest it was never reciprocated. I would have labeled myself as well known and inner circle at FBC, but as I see my old "friends" out and about NWI, none of them speak to me. Except for the ones that no longer go there that is.

To address Frag's comments, I have not found any of them to pagans or turncoats, but rather Godly, devoted and faithful young people that love the Lord. As far as turncoats go, loyalty and friendship go both ways. There are many turncoats that turned there back on me.

groupie said:
I used t be a member of FBC, but am no longer there. I do not think I could ever return to that sort of church. The church I go to now is so loving and there is actually fellowship there. In all the years I was at FBC, I never felt loved or that I had any real friends there. I was a friend to many, but to be honest it was never reciprocated. I would have labeled myself as well known and inner circle at FBC, but as I see my old "friends" out and about NWI, none of them speak to me. Except for the ones that no longer go there that is.

To address Frag's comments, I have not found any of them to pagans or turncoats, but rather Godly, devoted and faithful young people that love the Lord. As far as turncoats go, loyalty and friendship go both ways. There are many turncoats that turned there back on me.
I truly hope that you never felt that way around me. 
I remember talking to you several times about your overnight work, and offering to ride-along, if you needed help.
I still consider us friends, and am hoping to catch up with you when I visit NWI again.

I heard a lot of people gossip about you, and it was all over the map stuff, so I figured ole girl was the source of it, and blew it off.
Anyway, I have become an Independent Baptist Puritan.
I dont seek to abandon The Indies, just to reinvestigate the KJV, for the truth. 
The more I study God's Word, the more I find the obvious answers to what is wrong in the Movement.

I have no interest in leaving for something I find even less Scriptural.

I cant accept the RCC, Calvin, Nestle-Aland, Grunge CCM, shacking up, refusing to witness, and cross-dressing.

I could care less about smoking, drinking, cussing, and blah, blah, blah...they are just weights to waste your time and money and reputation; You will shed them for Christ's sake, if you follow Him.

All who are saved, are called.  God is shepherding His sheep, and they will be chastened if they resist, til He perfects them.  Much of our movement's preaching is aimed at symptoms and teens.

Reach the parents, the kids will follow.
Reach Dad, and the family will follow.

Manhood isnt dead, it's just endangered.

Jesus is the author of our faith, and He is the finisher.

Strong pastoral authority is Satamic Nicolaitanism, and God hates it.

People dont "trust Christ" in 5 minutes.

Have a lot of kids, and reach them for Christ...fruit that remains...and the next generation will be fine.
Keep telling them to "never question Moses", and He'll keep devouring the weak minded ones, while the strong ones walk away.

I dont look down on any Born-again believer, least of all fed up ex-fundies.  It is my mission, God gave it to me.  You have yours.  Do it.
We'll recount our stories to each  other over there.

Anishinaabe

Yeah, I've noticed the shift away from traditional worship.  I grew up a non-Christian,  listening to all the Ozzy, Sabbath, Boston, Aerosmith, and whatever other bangin' music that appealed to my flesh.  As a result, I can't stand Christian Rock.  First, I think it is an oxymoron, and second it reminds me too much of a life that I don't want to return to.  I think it is often irreverent, lacking in substance, and intent on appealing to the emotions first and intellect second, which is the opposite of what any form of Christian teaching should do.

And while I'm at it, I think that the consumerist mindset of today shows itself in how people choose churches.  The contemporary movement, by and large, doesn't require service.  It coddles Christians, and doesn't draw fine enough distinctions between worldly behavior and licentious or borderline living.  It is a "Come as your are, and leave as you came" philosophy.

ALAYMAN said:
I grew up a non-Christian,  listening to all the Ozzy, Sabbath, Boston, Aerosmith, and whatever other bangin' music that appealed to my flesh.

I honestly never would have imagined that of you.  I never listened to that stuff even when I was a hippie.  I guess that's a compliment. 

I like SOME CCM, mainly Twila Paris, Margaret Becker, the Imperials, but I haven't listened to any of it in more than a decades.  I hate sappy contemporary "praise and worship" music with a passion.  I'd much rather listen to hymns, even if they're interpreted into a modern instrumentation.  And, IMO, Bach was the greatest composer who ever lived.  I've listened to his Christmas Oratorio so many times I think I have the whole thing memorized. 

But I'm also a big fan of good instrumental jazz, whether it's big band jazz or Steve Morse's blend of bluegrass, jazz, and metal.