Is there a mass flight away from the IFB movement?

Tarheel Baptist said:
I think 'Christian Rock' is an over used and under defined 'idiom'.
Bob Jones thought Steve green sang Christian rock back in the day.... :)

Yes, that states the matter pretty succinctly.  I don't think that all CCM is bad, and I don't define all CCM as Christian Rock.  The Newsboys "God is not Dead" from the movie with the same name is pretty close to how I'd define Christian Rock.  I understand why people like it, but it distracts me from the message with its heavy beat and loudness drowning out the lyrics.

fishin nut said:
Nor did you, just your past personal experience that has made you have flashback over reactions to anything "bangin'" out there.

Here's mine.....Romans 14:1-5, with special emphasis on 5b: "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."

Lets try this again.  Your Scripture reference does nothing to positively allow for the subjective preference you have of Christian Rock (or CCM, or, or, or....), so I agreed with you that "let every man be persuaded in his own mind" works both ways.  So as long as you're persuaded, I could really care less.  I'm personally persuaded that most of what passes for CCM (at least what I've hear on K-love) is unbearable.  But then again, so is a ton of what goes under the banner Southern Gospel, though I do like some southern gospel (Inspirations, Cathedrals, etc).  My preference is for more solemn music for worship, and hymns that have stood the test of time fit the bill usually.  That notion of "standing the test of time" (though subjective as it also may be) was/is also a criteria I've always used in measuring up secular music as well.  As a youth I couldn't stand all the band-wagon groupies that listened to whatever the popular Top 40 radio stations played.

sub said:
Keith & Kristyn Getty "In Christ Alone" 

Love that song.  I've posted it for edification on here some Sunday morning about a year ago.  ALAYWIFE and I are going to sing it as a special at church soon.

prophet said:
What, no Stryper?

They sort of looked like Twisted Sister.  But no, if I wanted to bang my head I would've done it to the real deal, not Metal Jesus music.

Certainly there is a mass flight away from IFB.  It is undeniable to the rational thinker.  In the 70's almost ALL the BIG churches were IFB.  Almost ALL the BIG NAME preeeeechers were IFB.  Now? There isn't even ONE IFB-type skool (BJU, BBC, TTU, HAC, etc) that isn't dead or dying, based on attendance.  Only a very few believe IFB is on its deathbed.  Those are the same people who are pastoring/working in those churches and holding out hope that the worlds largest ice cream sundae, still holds the same appeal as yesteryear. The patient is dead, has been embalmed and is just now awaiting burial. 
Besides, the corruption in IFB is only rivaled by the Catholic church.  IMVVVVHO, that is the real reason for the current awakening/fleeing.  Just because some cannot accept reality, doesn't make it real.  ;) 

aleshanee said:
ALAYMAN said:

............. and I haven't heard any opera that makes me say "oooh, play that again". :D

i have.... i could listen to this over and over again all day long.....  8)

Jussi Björling & Robert Merrill / Pearl Fishers Duet

in fact..... ??? ... i think i;ve done that before.....  :-\

Likewise. I remember driving in the country alone listening to the classical station on the radio, and singing along to Mussorgsky's Boris Gudenov. In Russian. And I don't speak Russian, though I do know how to pronounce it. I'm sure I got a lot of the lyrics wrong, but since I had no idea what they meant anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.

bruinboy said:
Certainly there is a mass flight away from IFB. It is undeniable to the rational thinker.  In the 70's almost ALL the BIG churches were IFB.  Almost ALL the BIG NAME preeeeechers were IFB.  Now? There isn't even ONE IFB-type skool (BJU, BBC, TTU, HAC, etc) that isn't dead or dying, based on attendance.  Only a very few believe IFB is on its deathbed.  Those are the same people who are pastoring/working in those churches and holding out hope that the worlds largest ice cream sundae, still holds the same appeal as yesteryear. The patient is dead, has been embalmed and is just now awaiting burial. 
Besides, the corruption in IFB is only rivaled by the Catholic church.  IMVVVVHO, that is the real reason for the current awakening/fleeing.  Just because some cannot accept reality, doesn't make it real.  ;)

Again, you are referring to the Hyles side, correct?  Because, my experience tells me that is where the mass exodus is taking place.  I've seen and both sides and there is no doubt that the Hyles side is rapidly diminishing.   

bruinboy said:
There isn't even ONE IFB-type skool (BJU, BBC, TTU, HAC, etc) that isn't dead or dying, based on attendance.  Only a very few believe IFB is on its deathbed.

Right. Just completely ignore the massive campuses that West Coast and Crown have built in the last 10 years...

Nope. Not a one that isn't dying...

<facepalm>

Mass flight? Speaking as an IFB outsider, I don't really see a mass flight. Possibly a slow decline. The Internet tends to make movements/events/etc. seem more important than they actually are.

We are overlooking the fact that church attendance - IFB and all other 'brands' - is and has been declining in the USA for awhile.
According to one study, which agrees with most others:
If present trends continue, the percentage of the population that attends church in 2050 is estimated to be at almost half of 1990"s attendance — a drop from 20.4% to 11.7%. Olson"s projections for the years leading up to 2050 are less than encouraging. He estimates a drop to 16.6% in 2010, and 15.4% in 2020.

Tom Brennan said:
bruinboy said:
There isn't even ONE IFB-type skool (BJU, BBC, TTU, HAC, etc) that isn't dead or dying, based on attendance.  Only a very few believe IFB is on its deathbed.

Right. Just completely ignore the massive campuses that West Coast and Crown have built in the last 10 years...

Nope. Not a one that isn't dying...

<facepalm>

West Coast and Crown are growing...but they are the exceptions rather than the rule in most fundamental colleges.
Have I mentioned that I believe Paul Chappell is the best of the IFB bunch?  :D

biscuit1953 said:
In my mind and experiences the "Independent Baptist Church" has been tainted forever with "King James Onlyism," along with "standards" such as no female can sing in the choir unless she wears a dress, guilt trips with altar calls, the pastor having complete control over how the church is run instead of being run by elders, questioning someone's salvation if they don't remember a "time or date" when they got saved along with many other things that I no longer adhere to.  Right or wrong there are many that can't shake those associations.

I'm glad you changed it to "IBC". Most Independent Baptist in my area have no idea what fundamentalism is or it's history.

Bob H said:
I'm glad you changed it to "IBC".

Yeah, but you have to be careful about context. IBC (a church) might be confused with IBC (the root beer), and you know that comes in bottles that look like beer. Gotta watch that testimony. ;)

Anyone out there who has adult children who have left the IFB camp.

What caused them to change. What drove them to leave the camp/movement in which they were raised?

What do you think can be done to stop the exodus?

sword said:

What caused them to change. What drove them to leave the camp/movement in which they were raised?

Why stop it?

Binaca Chugger said:
sword said:

Why stop it?

Whoa! That is exactly what I would have said.

It's pretty funny when hear of people leaving an IFB church. You never hear of them going somewhere else where there is a greater compassion for the lost. Nope, they just leave somewhere where there is no pressure to obey the commands of God.

cave_dweller said:
It's pretty funny when hear of people leaving an IFB church. You never hear of them going somewhere else where there is a greater compassion for the lost. Nope, they just leave somewhere where there is no pressure to obey the commands of God.

I'll take ill-informed generalities for $400, Alex.

cave_dweller said:

Wrong!

My niece left our church because people were allowed to make accusations against her without ever being made known to her. You get better than that in the public courts.

In one instance I had "mid-level" authority over her. She was told that she could no longer work in my program (a decision that I was not aware of until it had been made) because her behavior upset "someone".

What behavior specifically?

You were "too close" to your fiance in front of the kids.  ???

What do you mean by "close"?

Well maybe not touching or kissing but you should hide your relationship better.  ???

When?

Sometime before Awana.

So I didn't actually do anything?

Well this person thought that your actions could have been misunderstood.  ???

The actions that you can't describe?

The actions that offended this individual.  :-\

And that individual is?

It would be a breach of trust for me to say.  :eek:

::)

I challenged the men making the decision to follow Matthew 18 and give her an opportunity to explain her actions (whatever they may have been or thought to be) and to be "won back" by this other person. They said the buck stopped with them and that there was no need to go any deeper. She will abide by the decision. Which she (they) did.

They sucked it up and humbled themselves before their leadership. When the same thing happened again to friend of hers they had enough.

Their move to another church in town has not only allowed them to blossom, it has also resulted in our church seeing that that kind of nonsense is totally unbiblical. Now both churches have a working relationship and this couple is happily serving the Lord.

Now you will say they left because of the pressure "to obey the commands of God". The let me ask this, why would a man of God not be able to articulate the command that was broken? Why would he not be able to bring two people in his flock together for reconciliation? I was there. No rebellion. No excuses. In fact this couple were broken by the idea that they may have done something wrong accidentally. They wanted specifics so they could repent and make it right.

BTW this was not a slam the door on the way out departure. They hung on for several more years. They didn't go around slamming the leadership. They made their move and have never spoken ill of our church. In fact their kids attend our Awana program.

And the other church has a great ministry in our community. And they are effective considering the two additions to their facility and the 9 churches started in the time since this couple have been there.

So take your preconceived ideas and harsh, stereotypical judgments and go fertilize something.

rsc2a said:
cave_dweller said:

I'll take ill-informed generalities for $400, Alex.

Your's much shorter than mine.  ;D