Jack Schaap out of prison

I agree with you about his doctorate... his ordination should have been revoked as soon as he was convicted.
You are absolutely right! Unfortunately, so many “men of God” don’t care if a man is no longer ordained, a felon, a child rapist, a known adulterer, a proven liar, or anything else you could imagine!

You said that best!
Thanks.
I used to be on this forum many, many years ago, practically at the dawn of the internet. I won't bother giving you the username. I was younger then and pretty dumb. I forgot all about it until I saw the story of Schaap getting out of prison, so I Googled the FFF to see what was on the fundie radar. I had no idea it was still in existence.
Somebody needs to speak for the victims of fundamentalism. They have much to say.

You are absolutely right! Unfortunately, so many “men of God” don’t care if a man is no longer ordained, a felon, a child rapist, a known adulterer, a proven liar, or anything else you could imagine!
I guess we'll just have to see who has him come to speak at their church (if anyone, and let's hope there isn't anyone who does.)

I would think that #1 - He would be given the same "speech" Dave Hyles was given by security when he visited with Bevely Hyles; #2 - He would be greeted by about the same 5 people that greeted Dave Hyles (some posting FaceBook photos :) )
What speech did security have with DH???

Thanks.
I used to be on this forum many, many years ago, practically at the dawn of the internet. I won't bother giving you the username. I was younger then and pretty dumb. I forgot all about it until I saw the story of Schaap getting out of prison, so I Googled the FFF to see what was on the fundie radar. I had no idea it was still in existence.
Somebody needs to speak for the victims of fundamentalism. They have much to say.
Yes! We do have much to say! I go back to the 70’s-80’s. As someone said in here, “I was given a life sentence, my sick pedophile walks free to this very day! I ruined as much of his life as possible for as long as I could after I became an adult. The rug at FBCH has the largest pile swept under it! I had to pull myself up while rumors swirled, whispers echoed, lies and hurtful actions made my situation more difficult. Had it not been for the one parent in my home who had any common sense and had had very frank talks with me as a younger girl, I don’t know that I would‘ve ever survived—let alone thrived! I did it IN SPITE of him! I left that place as soon as was possible and have never returned. I keep up with the “goings on” there, from a great distance. Jack Schaap was only scratching the surface at that place! I wish people would wake up to the danger of so much power there!

I agree with you about his doctorate... his ordination should have been revoked as soon as he was convicted.
I agree and assume his ordination was revoked or recalled

If men who wrote the judge & supported JS before his conviction are still on staff at HAC........& they are, then why assume this?
Perhaps I gave them too much credit but goodness how could they not do so? They should have exercised church discipline as well but I doubt that happened.

If men who wrote the judge & supported JS before his conviction are still on staff at HAC........& they are, then why assume this?
As far as I know, his ordination has not been revoked by the church. If one truly wants to know, they should call First Baptist Church of Hammond and ask.

Perhaps I gave them too much credit but goodness how could they not do so? They should have exercised church discipline as well but I doubt that happened.
You are also giving too much credit to churches that might have him come and speak. I doubt those churches even care about ordinations and church discipline.

Thanks.
Joy Evans Ryder has spoke out but Pastor Wilkerson did not meet with her........

You’ll never get a true answer from FBCH!
Your past experiences have tainted your view of people. You seem to lack any grace towards people and HAC/FBCH in particular. Yes, they were run by several "Jim Jones" type personalities, and some are probably still there. But, with the advent of a new pastor, it's VERY POSSIBLE that much has changed. Bitterness won't help you. I know. I've been there and experienced much of what people at HAC/FBCH experienced, though I was in other IFB churches. If you don't let go of the bitterness and anger and learn to forgive, then Christ isn't going to find it easy to forgive you. It took a LONG time for me to learn to forgive, but, I have. Does this mean I'm going to run back to the IFB churches and legalism? NO WAY! The Christian life is to be a "more abundant life" in Christ...if you can't forgive (doesn't mean forget), then I don't find Christ in you.

You are also giving too much credit to churches that might have him come and speak. I doubt those churches even care about ordinations and church discipline.
True, but FBCH cannot control what others do, but assuming they are the ones that ordained him, they certainly should have revoked his ordination.

Your past experiences have tainted your view of people. You seem to lack any grace towards people and HAC/FBCH in particular. Yes, they were run by several "Jim Jones" type personalities, and some are probably still there. But, with the advent of a new pastor, it's VERY POSSIBLE that much has changed. Bitterness won't help you. I know. I've been there and experienced much of what people at HAC/FBCH experienced, though I was in other IFB churches. If you don't let go of the bitterness and anger and learn to forgive, then Christ isn't going to find it easy to forgive you. It took a LONG time for me to learn to forgive, but, I have. Does this mean I'm going to run back to the IFB churches and legalism? NO WAY! The Christian life is to be a "more abundant life" in Christ...if you can't forgive (doesn't mean forget), then I don't find Christ in you.
There is much in what you say here... however, HAC/FBCH, as far as I know, have yet to "clean house" about JH/JS. By that I mean that deacons who covered up for JH/JS should be removed from office, and staff members who were covering up should be fired. It would help a lot if Pastor Wilkerson would publicly renounce them. If they would do these things, I'd tend to believe that they have indeed repented of their sin.

There is much in what you say here... however, HAC/FBCH, as far as I know, have yet to "clean house" about JH/JS. By that I mean that deacons who covered up for JH/JS should be removed from office, and staff members who were covering up should be fired. It would help a lot if Pastor Wilkerson would publicly renounce them. If they would do these things, I'd tend to believe that they have indeed repented of their sin.

What about other IFB pastors (even ones not affiliated with FBC/HAC) who still admire and mention Hyles? I've listened to sermons from IFB pastors in the last 10 years since the Schaap scandal broke out and many of them still mention Hyles' name but never Schaap. Also on the HAC-FBCH YouTube page removed all videos of Schaap way back when. Hyles' name is still mentioned at FBCH and HAC obviously but it would raise eyebrows if they decided to bring Schaap back, not to preach but to attend a service.

What about other IFB pastors (even ones not affiliated with FBC/HAC) who still admire and mention Hyles? I've listened to sermons from IFB pastors in the last 10 years since the Schaap scandal broke out and many of them still mention Hyles' name but never Schaap. Also on the HAC-FBCH YouTube page removed all videos of Schaap way back when. Hyles' name is still mentioned at FBCH and HAC obviously but it would raise eyebrows if they decided to bring Schaap back, not to preach but to attend a service.
Well, the subject under discussion was HAC/FBCH... I am wary of churches that still think Hyles was the best thing ever and (seem to) put him on a pedestal. He should be viewed in a fair light: there should be as much warnings about him as there are praises, but usually churches that admire him won't caution about his errors.

Last edited: