Jeff Owens has a new church!

No need to pm, I have no clue what you are asking me nor do I know any Matt Smith.

Walt said:
I hope that Jeff Owens learned what he needed to learn and that he was truly humbled before God.

I've heard him preach only 4-5 times; never heard a Biblical message from him; never (maybe rarely) heard Jesus Christ lifted up.  His usual messages that I heard were to use the Bible as a springboard into some topic that he then went on about

I pray that God will be glorified in this new work... but, knowing of his long association with things Hyles, I'm a bit doubtful that he can overcome all of the baggage.

I have never heard Jeff Owens preach (thank the Lord), however, since he (according to your post) rarely elevates the Lord, I'm curious...does he say "Close your Bibles and look at me" in his sermons like his former boss, Jack Hyles?

no value said:
Walt said:
I hope that Jeff Owens learned what he needed to learn and that he was truly humbled before God.

I've heard him preach only 4-5 times; never heard a Biblical message from him; never (maybe rarely) heard Jesus Christ lifted up.  His usual messages that I heard were to use the Bible as a springboard into some topic that he then went on about

I pray that God will be glorified in this new work... but, knowing of his long association with things Hyles, I'm a bit doubtful that he can overcome all of the baggage.

I have never heard Jeff Owens preach (thank the Lord), however, since he (according to your post) rarely elevates the Lord, I'm curious...does he say "Close your Bibles and look at me" in his sermons like his former boss, Jack Hyles?

I don't remember.

It was his style, for example, to read the Biblical verse about "shaking off" the dust of one's feet, and then proceed to preach his opinion about things we need to "shake off" with no Scriptural references - just his opinions.

Walt said:
no value said:
Walt said:

I don't remember.

It was his style, for example, to read the Biblical verse about "shaking off" the dust of one's feet, and then proceed to preach his opinion about things we need to "shake off" with no Scriptural references - just his opinions.

You have just described 52.8% of the average Hackers preaching.

Walt said:
no value said:
Walt said:

I don't remember.

Sounds about right. Majoring on the minors.

brainisengaged said:
No need to pm, I have no clue what you are asking me nor do I know any Matt Smith.
how long have you attended there?

brainisengaged said:
jmancrank said:
brainisengaged said:

Nearly 30 years. Am I missing something here?
i must be mistaken, I thought you attended Shenandoah

RAIDER said:
Walt said:
no value said:
Walt said:

I don't remember.

You have just described 52.8% of the average Hackers preaching.

But it isn't Biblical preaching.  As Tom Brennan said so well, church is not about us going to hear the preacher's opinion and becoming conformed to the pastor's thoughts and ideas on everything -- church should be the preacher telling us what the Bible says, and everyone (including the preacher) being transformed to the image of Jesus Christ.

Both messages are the preacher's opinion, but the second one is what the Bible says, not just his personal philosophy.

It's like reading the Scriptural verse "Husbands, love your wives" and then preaching for a  couple of months on the home - no Scripture, just the preacher's bragging about his great home, and the things he did to make it successful, and the poor deluded people writing down all the details and trying to do exactly the same thing: if the pastor bought his wife a flower on Mondays, flower sales in the area shoot up on Mondays as everyone copies "preacher".  (Nauseating)

jmancrank said:
brainisengaged said:
jmancrank said:
brainisengaged said:

Matt Smith was the former youth pastor at Shenandoah who had a little girl trouble if I remember right.

Was he ever charged, how did that all play out?

he is pastoring a church around Canton Oh. Not really sure what all happened at Shennandoah, but it aint good what I do know.

Patebald said:
The most offensive thing in all of this is the hideous brochure that was created by an elementary student to advertise an adult women's conference.

Are these people for real? Are the IFBer's so out of touch with the reality of technological advances in the graphic industry that software like Photoshop, Indesign and the like are undiscovered phenomena's?

Actually you are correct. I know for a fact that a 14 year old girl that is "home schooled" at the church designed this.

This same church has been trying to launch a school for a while.  Even had up to 4-6 students until families started leaving, now there is only 2, brother and sister. 

Pastor and his wife aren't HACgrads but sent all three kid there, two of which are on staff now.  The wife is the secretary, handles deposits, etc.  Son is youth pastor fresh from HAC. Daughter is school teacher without a teaching degree (go figure), son in law is choir director, it's become quite the family dynasty except in told the Hamilton's recently went without pay from the church.  They've done a lot of remodeling to the 1st lady's taste but probably have less than $5-$7 in the bank.

Click on the Practical Bible Baptist College link and then on "Jeff Owens Full Story" and you get this statement:
"Dr. Owens and his wife, Schery (also a Bible college graduate) have been successfully married for 39 years. They have four children, all of which are Bible college graduates and faithfully attending church and serving God with their lives to this day. It is estimated that nearly 300,000 people have been saved thus far during the course of this man’s 42 year ministry. In 2019 he founded The Practical Bible Baptist College and is currently the president of it. Dr. Owens is known to have a unique blend of conviction and compassion. He and his family have undergone many attacks from the devil but have stayed true to their old-time beliefs and have continued to love God and others. Through the grace of God it is his goal to finish the next 20 years of his ministry with the same fervor and commitment to building God’s kingdom as God has allowed him thus far."
For those who are wondering what kind of attacks from the devil Dr. Owens and his family have suffered, there is this link - his son Jeremiah Owens in past years pleaded guilty to burglary and sexual assault.
Jeremiah Owens « Blog on the Way (jeriwho.net)
[I realize this is all old news, but I am posting it for the benefit of newer members of the forum]

Click on the Practical Bible Baptist College link and then on "Jeff Owens Full Story" and you get this statement:
"Dr. Owens and his wife, Schery (also a Bible college graduate) have been successfully married for 39 years. They have four children, all of which are Bible college graduates and faithfully attending church and serving God with their lives to this day. It is estimated that nearly 300,000 people have been saved thus far during the course of this man’s 42 year ministry. In 2019 he founded The Practical Bible Baptist College and is currently the president of it. Dr. Owens is known to have a unique blend of conviction and compassion. He and his family have undergone many attacks from the devil but have stayed true to their old-time beliefs and have continued to love God and others. Through the grace of God it is his goal to finish the next 20 years of his ministry with the same fervor and commitment to building God’s kingdom as God has allowed him thus far."
For those who are wondering what kind of attacks from the devil Dr. Owens and his family have suffered, there is this link - his son Jeremiah Owens in past years pleaded guilty to burglary and sexual assault.
Jeremiah Owens « Blog on the Way (jeriwho.net)
[I realize this is all old news, but I am posting it for the benefit of newer members of the forum]
The craziest part is that after accusations (conversations with the police) of sexual assault his father put him in charge of the youth. Ultimately he went to prison for raping (statutory) a couple of bus kids. If it was not for Jeff's extremely poor choices I would almost feel sorry for him. Other than covering some things up (which was standard practice at most IFBs at the time) I really have not heard of any major sin problems he himself had. It was all the wife and kids.

The Practical College web site mentions that there were 24 buses and 20 bus routes at Shenandoah Bible Baptist in Martinsburg, West Virginia while Jeff Owens was pastor. I remember seeing one of those buses running through the city of Hagerstown, Maryland on October 23, 2011. It was a Sunday morning and I was on my way to the morning service at Harvest Baptist Church in Hagerstown - a good, old-fashioned, traditional IFB church, "stands on the KJV" and has its own bus ministry. There are a lot of IFB churches in Hagerstown - the Military Get Saved directory lists Fundamental BC, Wayside BC, Harvest BC, Mountain View BC, Emmanuel BC, Evangel BC, all in Hagerstown, also Lighthouse BC in Williamsport. Years ago I visited an IFB church in nearby Leitersburg, Maryland - I don't know if they are still there.
Anyway, I couldn't help wondering why Shenandoah Bible Baptist felt the need to run a bus route into Hagerstown, which is 22 miles from Martinsburg. I am enthusiastically in favor of IFB churches running a bus route to towns that are 22 miles away that are not served by any IFB church, but I have a hard time getting excited about doing that in a place like Hagerstown, Maryland. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I just don't see the need.

Last edited:
The Practical College web site mentions that there were 24 buses and 20 bus routes at Shenandoah Bible Baptist in Martinsburg, West Virginia while Jeff Owens was pastor. I remember seeing one of those buses running through the city of Hagerstown, Maryland on October 23, 2011. It was a Sunday morning and I was on my way to the morning service at Harvest Baptist Church in Hagerstown - a good, old-fashioned, traditional IFB church, "stands on the KJV" and has its own bus ministry. There are a lot of IFB churches in Hagerstown - the Military Get Saved directory lists Fundamental BC, Wayside BC, Harvest BC, Mountain View BC, Emmanuel BC, Evangel BC, all in Hagerstown, also Lighthouse BC in Williamsport. Years ago I visited an IFB church in nearby Leitersburg, Maryland - Idon't know if they are still there.
Anyway, I couldn't help wondering why Shenandoah Bible Baptist felt the need to run a bus route into Hagerstown, which is 22 miles from Martinsburg. I am enthusiastically in favor of IFB churches running a bus route to towns that are 22 miles away that are not served by any IFB church, but I have a hard time getting excited about doing that in a place like Hagerstown, Maryland. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I just don't see the need.
So the pastor that took over after Jeff Owens actually did make changes to the bus ministry. They stopped running to Winchester VA (25 miles to the south) and Hagerstown. Emmanuel in Hagerstown is now pastored by a former asst pastor from Shenadoah. I think Shenadoah today probably runs about 10 buses.