Joy Evans' message

tobytyler

Elect
Reaction score
Below is a message from Joy Evans.  She has asked to share in as many avenues as possible.

"Hello,

After many years, tears, thoughts and prayerful consideration I have made a decision. I hope you too, after reading this, will consider a step of action. I do not write this out of malice, pent up anger or a spirit of retribution. I share this at a time when some others are involved in similar battles and circumstances. Many emotions have been vented over this issue. In this, I don’t wish to ‘piggy-back’ anything or anyone and will endeavor to remain focused on the issue at hand.

The issue is child sexual abuse. I was sexually violated by an authority figure as a teenager, and thankfully, by God's grace, I’ve been able to overcome many of the far reaching and painful ramifications that accompany such an experience. Many have not been able to overcome and are still suffering the horrible, rippling repercussions of their ordeal. Unfortunately, there will be many other recipients of sexual abuse in the future who will have to wrestle with this as well. This battle has many fronts and I so desire the healing I experienced to be known by all!

I don’t want this to be about what type church you may or may not attend. This isn't about religion, or the way one was raised. This isn't about placing blame or making any type of an accusation toward a person or an organization. Sadly, sexual abuse happens everywhere and often. Trust me, whether you are aware of it or not, someone you know has been sexually violated. It is astounding!! It has now touched your life because you’re reading this. And, you are now aware of someone who has been affected by this... Me. Sexual abuse shapes a life, but does not need to define it, thank the Lord.

Now to my purpose for writing...Statistically, those sexually abused do not begin to process their abuse until 10-15 years after the abuse occurs. After such a long time, their Statute of Limitations (SOL) has most likely run out. My own SOL “ran out” many years ago in Indiana. Because of this, I began thinking about the possibility of working to abolish the SOL in Indiana. Not for myself, but for others who have been and will be sexually abused. This is one front in the battle against sexual abuse. It is for social justice, permitting the abused the ability to prosecute. Perhaps it will be a preventative as well. Knowing charges could be filed many years after the abuse could cause perpetrators to consider the ramifications of the crime.

So, I started investigating. After many conversations and through various circumstances, an action team has been formulated. Our team was encouraged to utilize an agency called INCASA. (INCASA - INdiana Coalition Against Sexual Abuse). In October, our team met with the staff at INCASA, to brainstorm a plan of action. The state of Indiana is considered “archaic” in this area of sexual abuse. Right now, the sexually abused only have 7 years after the abuse happens to file charges. Because of the "processing" statistic mentioned above, many other states have completely abolished their SOL. This is our goal and it IS doable!! But, it is going to take people like you who care and will be persistently concerned to act when needed.

We humbly ask your help to act. On December 19, we are having an “Indiana Call In Day Of Action” to the State House in Indianapolis. This will take 5 minutes of your day. Our team, and INCASA, are asking you to make one phone call to #317-252-4567 to the office of Governor Mike Pence. Tell him you feel the SOL needs to be removed in the State of Indiana.

Here is an example of what to say...

"I am a part of a large and growing delegation of concerned citizens. Sexual abuse statistics are alarming. The State of Indiana's laws are archaic in response to these figures. Because those who have been abused are prohibited from filing charges, because of current legislation, and for future sexual assault victims, I am requesting the State of Indiana to develop legislation to completely remove the Statute of Limitations regarding sexual abuse."

Your help would be greatly appreciated! I would also ask you to please REPOST this message to your friends and their friends etc…It takes many of us to get attention to make changes!!

Please allow me to introduce you to our team. We each believe in abolishing the SOL in Indiana and also believe we have been brought together for a reason. We want to help those who have been sexually abused.

If you have any questions, please feel free to message any of us. We can’t thank you enough for taking the time to read this AND make that call!

Our team: Rhonda Lee Esq., Katy Hardy, Joy Evans Ryder, Jeff Ross, and Cheryl Colsten."

One of a few dozen of DH many victims during his tenure as FBC youth director.
We need to pray for these young women as more are starting to follow LM example.

bgwilkinson said:
We need to pray for these young women as more are starting to follow LM example.

I would like to know how Dr. Evans approached Bro. Hyles about this.

JH always said, "If I didn't see it I don't believe it."

Great men have great needs.

Deny deny. It's a lie of the devil. The devil is the great accuser of the breathern.

JH promised the deacons he would take care of it. I guess he never did.

Any one brave enough to confront the manawgawd would be called the devil or Satan.

It turns the victim into the tool of satan.

We were called upon to protect Bro. Hyles Ministry. Nothing was ever said about protecting the Lord's ministry and good name.

I think it makes the LORD sick.

We are all paying for these great sins and will for years to come.

We have no room to criticize the Catholics.

We are just Catholic Light.

Joy is married with children

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sherryh said:
Joy is married with children

Love and marriage. Love and marriage. Goes together like a horse and carriage...

In the context of Joy's story, it matters not if she is now married with children...if she suffered abuse as a child.  I can only praise God if she, and others like her, were able to overcome the events of their past.  I can totally understand how a child wouldn't be able to mentally process what happened to them until years later and hence, be able to come forward until years later.

That being said, I do have a bit of angst over cases such as Jameis Winston's (I mention him specifically because he is in the news), where his adult accuser waited a month before claiming rape. 

I feel in my heart that adults and children should not be held to the same standard.  Children should be allowed a longer time to bring charges against an abuser.

How that plays out Joy's petition, I do not know.

16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:

I believe Dr. Evans threatened to leave if something was not done.  SO........  Dave Hyles suddenly received a "Call of god" to take the church in TX, and the rest is history.

I hope that Joy & the others are successful in their endeavor.

Another thought:
When are the members of FBCH going to fearlessly STOP giving unchecked & unaccountable "T" total authority to their pastor?

They did it with JH who let  loose a predator on the congregation & their college. They did it with JS who was the personification of "preying from the pulpit" as well as using his position to screech/teach strange "new" off the wall so-called doctrine.

They need to figure it out.

fishinnut said:
I hope that Joy & the others are successful in their endeavor.

Another thought:
When are the members of FBCH going to fearlessly STOP giving unchecked & unaccountable "T" total authority to their pastor?

They did it with JH who let  loose a predator on the congregation & their college. They did it with JS who was the personification of "preying from the pulpit" as well as using his position to screech/teach strange "new" off the wall so-called doctrine.

They need to figure it out.

FBCH is no longer a legitimate NT church.  It is something else.

Binaca Chugger said:
16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:

I believe Dr. Evans threatened to leave if something was not done.  SO........  Dave Hyles suddenly received a "Call of god" to take the church in TX, and the rest is history.

We were all fooled.

Dr Evans went along with the cover up! Dave was rewarded with a church in Texas, but why didn't the Evans' say anything? Dr. Evans still has the cover up mentality. His son got a divorce and doesnt want anyone to know.

kaba said:
Dr Evans went along with the cover up! Dave was rewarded with a church in Texas, but why didn't the Evans' say anything? Dr. Evans still has the cover up mentality. His son got a divorce and doesnt want anyone to know.

IMO, Dr. Evans was sold the "good of the ministry / bigger picture" bill of goods. 

Rewarded?  Dave had to leave the only thing he knew and try to make it on his own (no feelings of sorrow for the predator).

Dr. Evans does have a private life is private mentality.  I have no clue why he has never stated anything publicly or been open about what happened.

If an older man preyed on my daughter, they'd probably be sending me to jail for murder, or at least for assault, especially if the sexual action was done against her will.
I cannot speak for Bro. Evans, but I can almost assuredly say that he was embarrassed about the whole situation.  That is the way I would feel b/c I would hope that my daughters would have enough spirituality to withstand and flee from the sexual advances of any boy/man.
The whole situation would also ill reflect on the family as a whole.
Had he brought the whole event before the church, his daughter and entire family would have suffered terrible embarrassment, stigmatization, and being ostracized from the church.
Especially if the situation had been consensual. 
That is the raw reality of the matter in my opinion.
Dr. Evans chose to remain silent.
Unfortunately, his silence caused a ripple effect that has caused long term damage to his daughter and has contributed to the hurt of countless other human beings and Christianity as a whole.

Binaca Chugger said:
16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:

I couldn't in good conscience watch a pervert get a 'call' from God to go pastor anywhere except jail.  It's like catching a fox in a barn yard and sentencing him to a full hen house.

How do you stop the cycle. How do we protect the next generation? How do we prevent this from happening again?

Exodus 34:7 - Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty;
visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Deuteronomy 24:16 - The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Numbers 14:18 - The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation].

Deuteronomy 5:9 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Exodus 20:5 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

sword said:
How do you stop the cycle. How do we protect the next generation? How do we prevent this from happening again?

Exodus 34:7 - Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty;
visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Deuteronomy 24:16 - The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Numbers 14:18 - The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation].

Deuteronomy 5:9 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Exodus 20:5 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

My guess is to make the punishment so bad that prospective perps would think twice about performing the crime.  However, no matter how many times God punished lawbreakers in the OT, the next generation, or even the same generation a few years later seemed to have short memories.