Joy Evans Ryder petition to roll back 5 year statue of limitations in Indiana

kaba said:
Thought she also attended TTU. If she was at HAC it was before my time. So no personal grudge, dont know her personally. Again, just not going to jump on the band wagon to praise all that she does. I just wish people would have had some backbone a long time ago, and stood up to the powers that be, and fought for righteousness. I cant help but think, if someone would have stopped Dave Hyles a long time ago, instead of covering it up or went with the crowd, he would not have been able to hurt so many lives in Texas. Or that Schaap would not have been hired as Pastor and damaged that girl for life!!!Where were the men or Christian leaders that knew right from wrong?

I understand.  However, I don't blame the teen girl who was told by every influential person in her life to hide the situation, cover-up and shut-up.  I think she realizes the error in this mentality promoted by so many abusers or family members of abusers and abused, whether they be in a church or anywhere else.  It would seem as though she is trying to prevent any such thing from happening in the future, which is really all she can do.

Still There said:
Let me say ... I've had someone who cried rape and in the end it was proved she was not, though she was sexually active.  The lives she almost ruined, the marriage she nearly broke up, the family she put into counseling and the DCFS that came into their home.

Are you accusing Joy of these things, or another situation?

Also, keep in mind that the man (especially in pastoral authority) has a responsibility to do right, no matter what a teen girl does to attract him.  Even taking advantage of an opportunity is considered rape by our legal system.  I don't dare try to justify the sin or the sinner, even if both parties are willing.  There is also a mental, emotional manipulation factor that must be considered, which is why a man in authority who commits such acts with a willing teen girl is termed a predator.

Binaca Chugger said:
kaba said:
Thought she also attended TTU. If she was at HAC it was before my time. So no personal grudge, dont know her personally. Again, just not going to jump on the band wagon to praise all that she does. I just wish people would have had some backbone a long time ago, and stood up to the powers that be, and fought for righteousness. I cant help but think, if someone would have stopped Dave Hyles a long time ago, instead of covering it up or went with the crowd, he would not have been able to hurt so many lives in Texas. Or that Schaap would not have been hired as Pastor and damaged that girl for life!!!Where were the men or Christian leaders that knew right from wrong?

I understand.  However, I don't blame the teen girl who was told by every influential person in her life to hide the situation, cover-up and shut-up.  I think she realizes the error in this mentality promoted by so many abusers or family members of abusers and abused, whether they be in a church or anywhere else.  It would seem as though she is trying to prevent any such thing from happening in the future, which is really all she can do.

I understand your point

If anyone sees Chief  ask him these questions .....he isn't on the pay roll now..........

I had never even heard of FBCH or any of the Hyles/Schaap debacles until I found this forum.  But I have read a lot of threads, so I have gleaned the tiniest bit of understanding of what happened there.

It is a pretty heavy load to put on a young girl to expect that she should have/could have single-handedly brought down the oligarchy that FBCH was at the time she was abused by DH…because she certainly would have had to stand alone to bring him to justice.  No one came to her defense…not her parents, not her church family, and most certainly not her pastor!

I think Binaca Chugger stated it quite eloquently.  Yes, it’s been quite some time since Joy was abused.  Yes, many others were abused after she was.  But at this exact moment in time, she is doing something tangible that just might ease the way for other victims to pursue justice.  Applauding her current efforts does not equate to putting her on a pedestal. 

That is Keith Morris interview tonight, now. Joy is being interviewed April 2 with the Merrillville PBS station, WYIN TV show, Lakeshore Report.

It will air 7pm Friday, April 4, and again 10am Sunday morning April 6. After the show airs, there will also be a YouTube video embedded on their station website at http://m.lakeshorepublicmedia.org/  that can be downloaded or linked to Facebook posts or emailed to friends that might be supportive of our cause.

kaba said:

I don't think anyone was going to stop Dave Hyles while his dad was protecting him at FBC. Which enabled the damage down the road at Miller Road and on and on. It just wasn't going to happen at that point in time.

Look at how much they vilify Linda today when she writes about her family. Imagine what it would have been like back then to stand up to Dave and have the full wrath of Jack Hyles. The apple did not fall far from the tree, imho.

The guilt fear and intimidation he wielded coupled with owning most of his employees kept him in the seat of power.

I do agree with you it would have saved years many lives from being destroyed.

http://religionscell.com/blog/2013/07/27/linda-hyles-murphreys-story/

How can Wendall Evans look at himself in the mirror knowing he sold his soul to Jack Hyles and all the damage was done because he (Wendall) did not stand for right!

kaba said:
How can Wendall Evans look at himself in the mirror knowing he sold his soul to Jack Hyles and all the damage was done because he (Wendall) did not stand for right!

Because he bought into the philosophical lie it would destroy Jack's ministry and all the good they were doing.  With all those souls getting saved he needed to be loyal to the man of God and see all the good was out weighing the bad.

My guess he is still willfully blind to it. If you lie to yourself long enough you start to believe it yourself.

One of the sadest statements I have ever heard was said to me by a college teacher at HAC that many of us admired and respected very greatly.  I had graduated from HAC and was at a Christian high school basketball tournament.  HBHS was playing in the tournament.  This was shortly after the Dave Hyles issues came out.  I asked this fellow what he thought of the mess.  His response was, "God was not the only one who gave his son for me".  I didn't know what to say.  He was inferring that Dr. Hyles' devotion to the IFB movement ministry cost him Dave.

While part of what he said is probably true, the "giving his son for me" part made me shake my head.

RAIDER said:
One of the sadest statements I have ever heard was said to me by a college teacher at HAC that many of us admired and respected very greatly.  I had graduated from HAC and was at a Christian high school basketball tournament.  HBHS was playing in the tournament.  This was shortly after the Dave Hyles issues came out.  I asked this fellow what he thought of the mess.  His response was, "God was not the only one who gave his son for me".  I didn't know what to say.  He was inferring that Dr. Hyles' devotion to the IFB movement ministry cost him Dave.

While part of what he said is probably true, the "giving his son for me" part made me shake my head.
That is absolutely astounding.  Reminds me of the mess with Amnon, Tamar and Absalom.

RAIDER said:

I heard that line and others like it quite a bit growing up.  "Bro. Hyles gave his family for us....for America...for the salvation of untold thousands."  Now, I realize that Bro. Hyles was alot less like God and alot more like an Canaanite who caused his children to go through the fire.

kaba said:
Binaca Chugger said:
kaba said:

I understand your point

I stand and applaud her efforts.

bgwilkinson said:

Out of all the things at FBC and HAC that are nuts, I think this must be one of the worst.  How was Mr. HAC (called that many times by Jack Hyles), Wendell Evans ok with his 15 year old daughter being raped by the FBC youth pastor?  As a father, I don't understand at all his lack of action for the last 30+ years.

Timotheus said:
bgwilkinson said:

Out of all the things at FBC and HAC that are nuts, I think this must be one of the worst.  How was Mr. HAC (called that many times by Jack Hyles), Wendell Evans ok with his 15 year old daughter being raped by the FBC youth pastor?  As a father, I don't understand at all his lack of action for the last 30+ years.
Be great if you could ask him...
Or better yet, ask his daughter.

16KJV11 said:
Timotheus said:
bgwilkinson said:

Be great if you could ask him...
Or better yet, ask his daughter.

No!  It would not be better to ask his daughter why her father chose to protect the predatory son of a respected preacher over choosing justice for her. 

No.  If anybody is that interested, go straight to the source.  You probably won’t understand his answer to you any better than she probably understood his answer to her all those years ago.  She’s lived with his choice all these years.  And it seems as though she is, only now, finding her voice to speak out…and not for herself, but for other victims who were also told to not seek justice for themselves.

Frankly, I think it would be beyond cruel to question her about her father’s choices.

Timotheus said:
bgwilkinson said:

I totally agree Timmy. Makes you think on the phrase he repeated many times, "Do Right until the stars fall".

Every man did that which was right....................in his own eyes.

That kinda lets you do anything you want to do and still feel pious about yourself.

BALAAM said:
Timotheus said:
bgwilkinson said:

I totally agree Timmy. Makes you think on the phrase he repeated many times, "Do Right until the stars fall".

Balaam

It seems for all the big talk and pithy statements there wasn't a lot of manhood to go around.