Joy Evans Ryder petition to roll back 5 year statue of limitations in Indiana

brainisengaged said:
Perhaps, as commanded, she is honoring her father by not speraking publically against him eveen if she has cause.

Don't know, but it is a possibility.  If you are going to try and make a difference 30+ years later, let's do it right.  I'm sure it would be painful.

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
genjulie said:
For those of you who don't believe Dr. Evans knew - google it.  You'll get first hand accounts from those who were there.  Or go to the way back machine from this forum.  Why you can't believe he knew is beyond me.  They all knew what was happening and ignored it for the sake of the ministry they said but it was really to save their own hides and reputations.  Dave Hyles will escape rape bec of the SOL but there is no SOL on murder.

Since Joy is coming out with the story we would like to hear her say that her father knew.  This would remove doubt with most of us.

We would like to hear it, but she may not share it.  It is her story, and it is difficult for people who have gone through abuse to be public about the issue.  Yes, we would like confirmation that our hero willingly sold out his family for his ministry.  However, we must be considerate of her needs to only share what she desires to share.  I think we can appreciate her willingness and bravery to share her story in efforts to pass a law that will protect other girls.

Whether or not Dr. Evans knew, really doesn't matter to us today.  We can still take away the truth that he did put ministry ahead of family, and both his daughter, his ministry and his testimony has suffered for such idolatry.  To my fundamentalist brethren and sistren who read the internet, please don't fall into the same trap.  Run away from the "Hide the sin to protect the ministry" mentality.  Run away from the "Dedication to ministry duty will cause my family to flourish" heresy of the IFB movement.

Personally, I think it would be good for all of those involved in church cover ups to confess, apologize, repent and seek restoration.  But, they won't.  So, we must let them die with the dread of discovery always looming.  If only they were to realize that Christ has real peace for them, if they were to follow His pattern.

I hear you.  My thinking may be off, but I figure if you are going to come out in the open with something that happened 30+ years ago, that you would go ahead and tell the complete story without continuing to "hide" the facts.

I applaud her bravery to share what she has for the cause of others.  There is great turmoil in the abused.  Some facts are not pertinent to the cause for which she is fighting.  Wisdom picks battles.  I would not expect her to make such a statement.  I know that the leadership at HAC and other such institutions are not going to tell the truth. 

Binaca Chugger said:
I applaud her bravery to share what she has for the cause of others.  There is great turmoil in the abused.  Some facts are not pertinent to the cause for which she is fighting.  Wisdom picks battles.  I would not expect her to make such a statement.  I know that the leadership at HAC and other such institutions are not going to tell the truth.

So it will continue to be covered up or Dr. Evans did not know.  If Joy's goal is to help others I would think that a parent knowing and covering it up would be a big part of the problem.

She is helping others by fighting to have the statute of limitations removed. This WOULD help many. Revealing the frail failings of her own father....how would that help anyone?

brainisengaged said:
She is helping others by fighting to have the statute of limitations removed. This WOULD help many. Revealing the frail failings of her own father....how would that help anyone?

It would only help us HACkers who are struggling with how a man we so deeply respected could be so foolish.  It would help us gain some closure on an issue that has plagued us.  It would give us a good reason to move on and away from our alma mater and its methodologies.

I think this is a poor reason to ask her to go through so much more hurt.  I do wish Dr. Evans would be honest enough to address the issue.  At least address it.  Your daughter has publicly claimed it happened.  At lease acknowledge it to the thousands of HACkers who are wondering what their heritage really is.  If you knew nothing - prove it.  If you denied it - admit it.  Show people in your movement that repentance and restoration are real.

Can you imagine the TRUE respect he would garner if he would just be real and honest and open? But he is content for the false respect, and the show goes on.

Binaca Chugger said:
I think this is a poor reason to ask her to go through so much more hurt.  I do wish Dr. Evans would be honest enough to address the issue.  At least address it.  Your daughter has publicly claimed it happened.  At lease acknowledge it to the thousands of HACkers who are wondering what their heritage really is.  If you knew nothing - prove it.  If you denied it - admit it.  Show people in your movement that repentance and restoration are real.

This is probably the best idea.

brainisengaged said:

Could there be others in the state of Indiana who have been abused while their parents knowingly swept it under the carpet.  Which is the greater crime?

Well, if the child finally gets the courage to speak up about it years later, only to find the statute of limitations prevents them from being able to obtain justice...that is at least one aspect of the situation that can be legally addressed and changed.

Morally, as to which is the greater crime...God will just have to judge that one, it boggles my little mind too much!

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:

Could there be others in the state of Indiana who have been abused while their parents knowingly swept it under the carpet.  Which is the greater crime?

I hear you.  Laws take time to change.  Indiana is one of the most open to sexual crimes.  This law will make many changes.  One step at a time.

On a side note - the Joe Paterno story will pave the way for later legal ramifications against those who knew, but did nothing - even if they were told by their employer to do nothing.  Personally, I find Jo Pa and Dr. Evans to be in very similar categories.

brainisengaged said:
Can you imagine the TRUE respect he would garner if he would just be real and honest and open? But he is content for the false respect, and the show goes on.

My guess is that in his mind his reputation is currently good and to confirm his participation in the cover up would sully his and his late wife's legacy. It would also confirm Jack Hyle's actions. I agree with you that full disclosure would generate a great deal of respect from those of us who no longer worship JH but those who still do may find it repugnant - you know, speaking ill about the dead. My guess is that there would be many who would question his integrity, motives, memory, etc. and my call him a traitor, malcontent, or even a moonbeam. That is what has happened to others who told of their own personal experiences (Paula, Linda and Judy come to mind). Even here.

There is no name as pastor no pictures ...........................

Sherryh said:
There is no name as pastor no pictures ...........................

Our Pastors

The church's first pastor, Jack Meadows, served for ten years. At the end of that first decade, Dave Quiner was called and served as pastor for 22 years.  Terry Puett served for four years.  On August 10, 2008, Josh Meier was installed as the fourth pastor of El Paso Bible Church.  Pastor Meier holds a master's degree in Theology from the Dallas Theological Seminary.  Josh Meier served for 5 years.  On August 4, 2013, Jeff Ryder was installed as the fifth pastor of El Paso Bible Church.

I read that I'm saying no picture no Welcome from the pastor............

She's getting laws passed in Indiana?  Are they still together?

Jeff's Facebook page says he is married, and his profile picture is him & Joy.  Joy is working to change the SOL in Indiana because that's where she was victimized - regardless of where she have lived since.

kaba said:
Thought she also attended TTU. If she was at HAC it was before my time. So no personal grudge, dont know her personally. Again, just not going to jump on the band wagon to praise all that she does. I just wish people would have had some backbone a long time ago, and stood up to the powers that be, and fought for righteousness. I cant help but think, if someone would have stopped Dave Hyles a long time ago, instead of covering it up or went with the crowd, he would not have been able to hurt so many lives in Texas. Or that Schaap would not have been hired as Pastor and damaged that girl for life!!!Where were the men or Christian leaders that knew right from wrong?

Seems to me that she was young and impressionable and it doesn't make much sense to hold this against her. Her parents and other adults now are another matter. Unspeakable evil in my mind's eye on their part.

Just a comment that will likely be unpopular.
Eliminating the statute of limitations could have the opposite effect than what is desired.
The statute of limitations acts much like the deadline for a major college assignment, forcing students to do what must be done on time. The statute of limitations forces the victim to come forward quickly so the police and the prosecuting attorney can effectively do their jobs. A guilty person is far more likely to be convicted, of a horrible crime, when the police get involved early, while physical evidence can be secured and while witnesses can be questioned and statements taken. It is often extremely difficult for an assault victim to come forward and a statute of limitations forces them to act in a timely manner. I want to see every rapist and sexual predator arrested and thrown in jail, but for our legal system to protect the innocent in must address accusations in a timely manner. The courts must presume everyone innocent until they are proven guilty and after 30 years how is that even possible.
A statute of limitation also protects the innocent who are falsely accused of crimes. 1000's of accused people are exonerated each year when physical evidence proves they were not the assailant. How could anyone defend themselves after all these years and how could a jury convict someone of a crime 30 years after the fact. It can seem very unfair that a guilty person is allowed to run free, but this is sometimes a necessary evil to protect us all from being falsely accused and sent to prison. Even the 6th amendment to the constitution requires the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury. Our founding fathers recognized justice must act swiftly if it is to be effective as well. We need to teach our children to speak out whenever they see injustice and to quickly report crimes and abuse whenever they see it. Most of all they need to know they can always come to us when they are hurt or abused.