Mrs. Hyles and the kids

Tarheel Baptist said:
I understand, my mother feels the same way about our services :D.
I did not mean to attack you, at all, just an observation from my position in the middle of the road....a compromiser by IFB standards.  :)
I've been accused of waffling because I'm too fundy for the free birds and too freebird for the fundys......

No problem.  I did not look at anything you said as an attack.

16KJV11 said:
Ah, yes, and because the iconic, sinless virgin Beverly attends an SBC, it is a telling condemnation of all things IFB!

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

As "Independent baptist" pastors & churches we sure seem to spend a lot of time telling other "Independent baptist" what music they should have and what ministries are best and how they should run their churches.

I think we have forgotten what our true calling "commission" is.

sword said:
As "Independent baptist" pastors & churches we sure seem to spend a lot of time telling other "Independent baptist" what music they should have and what ministries are best and how they should run their churches.

Even though the name "Independent Baptist" carries the idea that everyone decides the way they should carry on the ministry, it is not so.  Southern Baptists are known for certain things.  Independent Baptist are no different.  IFB are known for soul winning, dress standards, preaching, busses, conservative music, etc.  Not saying that it is right or wrong - just the facts.  :)

sword said:

Right. Because the only thing we should really care about is witnessing, and if we somehow care about the worldly (in our opinion) direction of God's people at large we are obviously taking away another church's independence and neglecting our only job, the Great Commission.

<facepalm>

Tom Brennan said:
sword said:

Right. Because the only thing we should really care about is witnessing, and if we somehow care about the worldly (in our opinion) direction of God's people at large we are obviously taking away another church's independence and neglecting our only job, the Great Commission.

<facepalm>

"Come on!!!!"

*Yelled in a high pitched voice.  :)

IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
"Come on!!!!"

*Yelled in a high pitched voice.  :)

LOL!  When I read that, I "heard" it in a low-pitched Stan Harris voice.

LOL!  I can hear Stan yelling that.  I had a roommate that use to yell it in the door room in a high pitched voice.  it was quite funny.

In our zip code and hundreds of zip codes surrounding us, there are countless numbers of independent Baptist churches that are nothing like what people on this forum consider independent Baptist.   

patriotic said:
In our zip code and hundreds of zip codes surrounding us, there are countless numbers of independent Baptist churches that are nothing like what people on this forum consider independent Baptist. 

Please expound, Hackerette!

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:

Many, many country .... and some town and city churches.... are not affiliated with any denomination and are "independent Baptist".    Usually, a handful of members - often mostly family of some sort (as long as they can keep it straight).  Many are SB in practice and use SB SS curriculum, but they are not SB and will tell you they are independent. 

IFB X-Files said:
patriotic said:
... there are countless numbers of independent Baptist churches

Is this utopia or what?!?  After all, it's "all about the numbers"!

One can't take an hour's drive through the country without coming across approximately a dozen or more. 

Seriously. 

We were numbers when numbers wasn't cool.  (in my best Barbara Mandrell impersonation)

patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
patriotic said:

Many, many country .... and some town and city churches.... are not affiliated with any denomination and are "independent Baptist".    Usually, a handful of members - often mostly family of some sort (as long as they can keep it straight).  Many are SB in practice and use SB SS curriculum, but they are not SB and will tell you they are independent.

I keep forgeting that you live in the land where cousins marry cousins.

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
patriotic said:

Sometimes twice.  ;)

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
patriotic said:

Well you always have to marry someone who can at least keep a reasonable set of teeth you can borrow in your old age. ;)

BALAAM said:
Well you always have to marry someone who can at least keep a reasonable set of teeth you can borrow in your old age. ;)

You Might Be a Hacker if....

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
patriotic said:

When we lived in KY, I always kidded the husband that he was the only one on the street that had an actually job. We were also "outsiders" that lived on Pea Ridge-everyone was related except our family! We were warned when we moved there how dangerous that area was, nicest people I know! Loved living there.  I remember a "family" church that did not encourage visitors to attend!

IFB X-Files said:
patriotic said:

You speak the truth, my brother!

patriotic said:
IFB X-Files said:
patriotic said:

One can't take an hour's drive through the country without coming across approximately a dozen or more. 

Seriously. 

We were numbers when numbers wasn't cool.  (in my best Barbara Mandrell impersonation)

well, Southern Baptist are officially independent, so, I guess you are right.

of course, since you are in an IFB, yours is the only one (on the street, county, state, country) that is really right, right?

Binaca Chugger said:
patriotic said:
IFB X-Files said:
patriotic said:

Seriously. 

well, Southern Baptist are officially independent, so, I guess you are right.

of course, since you are in an IFB, yours is the only one (on the street, county, state, country) that is really right, right?

Right for me!