Mrs. Hyles and the kids

They Hyles family minus Linda are having a family reunion this past weekend in Texas.  Have seen some nice pictures and hoping and praying that the past hurts can be put aside and family can be reunited.  Keep praying for the Hyles family.  They only have each other now. 

prophet said:
And please make sure one copy is placed on the pulpit.
You don't 'make sure' anything goes anywhere around here, boy.  You just hand it to the approved invitation worker, who will hand it to the approved platform performer, who will wait til Dr.Hyles stops reading, and then wave his hand wildly over his head yelling, "here's 1, Preacher" At which time he'll  be asked :"Which forum?  Altar workers!  Which forum?!?  Goodnight! Would you put the side on the slip, like you promised the LORD you would when you signed up?!?!!!".

Anishinabe
[/quote]

I can still see this taking place.  :)

I realize this has been somewhat discussed, but Mrs. Hyles leaving Hammond and attending a SBC had to be absolutely shocking to most.  Not only was she with Dr. Hyles when he left the SBC, but she listened to him preach against it for years.  At the time, it was a HUGE move for them to make.  She had to know that her decision would cause people to question things.  It really makes you wonder:

*Did she ever agree with Dr. Hyles when they left the SBC?
*Was she fed up with the FBCH style of the IFB world?

http://www.firstdallas.org/ministries/music-worship/contemporary-worship/

RAIDER said:
I realize this has been somewhat discussed, but Mrs. Hyles leaving Hammond and attending a SBC had to be absolutely shocking to most.  Not only was she with Dr. Hyles when he left the SBC, but she listened to him preach against it for years.  At the time, it was a HUGE move for them to make.  She had to know that her decision would cause people to question things.  It really makes you wonder:

You are a pot stirrer! :)

kaba said:
RAIDER said:

You are a pot stirrer! :)

Actually comments on the other thread made me think of this one.

RAIDER said:

I have known Mrs. Hyles since they were in Garland, that would be since about 1956.

She grew up in a SBC church and was an SBC until JH left the SBC taking her with him.

She loved Bro. Hyles devotedly, to that I am an eye witness.

She would and did follow him where ever he went, in public, both in belief and in practice.

She had promised that to him, "til death do us part".

She is a woman of the highest honor and of sterling character.

She is far to classy a lady to wear her feelings outwardly.

They seemed outwardly happy until the early 70s, when some thing happened.

He began calling her Mrs. Hyles and not his wife.

I think Linda has revealed what it was in her new book.

If you were new to the church you might have thought that she was his mother or some other

person not connected to him in any way, a complete stranger.

For decades he did not refer to her as his wife. He almost never referred to her in any way.

It was like she did not exist. She was like a kept woman.

They did not ride to and from church in the same car.

You rarely ever saw them together, unless it was unavoidable, such as being honored as our

pastor and wife.

IMHO it was very hard for Mrs. Hyles to live a lie, but she did it for Bro. Hyles ministry and to keep

her word to him, even though he violated her trust. It must have been very hard to live a double

life. One thing at home where the truth was known and another at church were we pretended

everything was all right in my fathers house, but it was not all right.

I've talked to many people over the years that thought JN was his wife as they were always talking

together in front of the whole church.

JN his publication secretary always sat behind him in the alto section of the choir.

Mrs. Hyles would glare at them as they talked together.

He talked to her insistently during times when he was not speaking. She kept a running list

of edits to make to the weekly tapes to prevent him from embarrassing him self or stepping in it

on tape. She was the gate keeper to all things published by him. She kept his fat out of the fire.

What you heard live was many times far different than what you heard on tape or in book form.

She was excellent at rewriting or deleting material. You have never heard the wildest stuff unless

you were in the services to hear him personally say it.

So to answer the first question I don't think it really mattered to her if she agreed with him or not.

She loved him devotedly, they were so in love, it showed like a light shinning bright,  and that was

all that mattered. Through the years she matured and by that time it was too late. They were cold

to each other in public in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s. Just before he died they seemed to make

up with each other. I guess they both knew the end was near.

IMHO she could hardly wait to get out of here.

It became obvious that she no longer fit in with the IFB-Hyles way of life.

It was hard for her to have her son-in-law as the pastor.

She let her feet do the walking and the talking.

There can be no doubt, Mrs. Hyles is SBC at heart and has always been SBC at heart.

She had lived the worst that the IFB world has to offer and she was miserable, you could see

it in her eyes. The lies and hypocrisy were just more than she could take.

She knew the truth about her husband. Now we do too. Everything fits like a hand in glove.

Linda helped us to understand what was going on behind the scenes in their family.

Did Linda embellish things some? Sure just like her dad did. That's where she learned it.

To Linda I say thank-you for telling us what went on in your parents house. Thank-you.

Our questions have been answered. Now everything fits.

So Yes, she was fed up.  She let her walk talk.

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:

I have known Mrs. Hyles since they were in Garland, that would be since about 1956.

She grew up in a SBC church and was an SBC until JH left the SBC taking her with him.

She would and did follow him where ever he went, in public, both in belief and in practice.

She is a woman of the highest honor and character.

If you were new to the church you might have thought that she was his mother or some other

person not connected to him in any way.

For decades he did not refer to her as his wife.

You rarely ever saw them together, unless it was unavoidable, such as being honored as our

pastor and wife.

I've talked to many people over the years that thought JN was his wife as they were always talking

JN his publication secretary always sat behind him in the alto section of the choir.

He talked to her insistently during times when he was not speaking. She kept a running list

of edits to make to the weekly tapes to prevent him from embarrassing him self or stepping in it

on tape. She was the gate keeper to all things published by him. She kept his fat out of the fire.

What you heard live was many times far different than what you heard on tape or in book form.

She was excellent at rewriting or deleting material. You have never heard the wildest stuff unless

So to answer the first question I don't think it really mattered to her if she agreed with him or not.

She loved him devotedly, they were so in love, it showed like a light shinning bright,  and that was

all that mattered. Through the years she matured and by that time it was too late. They were cold

to each other in public in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s. Just before he died they seemed to make

There can be no doubt, Mrs. Hyles is SBC at heart and has always been SBC at heart.

She had lived the worst that the IFB world has to offer and she was miserable, you could see

She knew the truth about her husband. Now we do too. Everything fits like a hand in glove.

Linda helped us to understand what was going on behind the scenes in their family.

Did Linda embellish things some? Sure just like her dad did. That's where she learned it.

To Linda I say thank-you for telling us what went on in your parents house. Thank-you.

+1...Like

http://religionscell.com/blog/2013/07/27/linda-hyles-murphreys-story/

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:

For decades he did not refer to her as his wife. He almost never referred to her in any way.

pastor and wife.

IMHO it was very hard for Mrs. Hyles to live a lie, but she did it for Bro. Hyles ministry and to keep

her word to him, even though he violated her trust. It must have been very hard to live a double

life. One thing at home where the truth was known and another at church were we pretended

Were you personal friends with Noah?  You be OLD! ???

16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:

pastor and wife.

Were you personal friends with Noah?  You be OLD! ???

I'm older than the Noah in the movie whom I have also never met.  :D :)

bgwilkinson said:

I arrived at HAC in 1979.  I could probably count on one hand the number of times Dr. Hyles referenced Mrs. Hyles.  During Q&A times he would tell people that he would not take any questions about Mrs. Hyles.  I thought it was odd, but I thought she might be a very private person who was uncomfortable when spoken about.  I was in a Q&A time during a Pastor's School when someone asked him why he never spoke about his wife.  Dr. Hyles replied, "Mrs. Hyles is a lady, and a lady does not like to be made a spectacle of".

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

I arrived at HAC in 1979.  I could probably count on one hand the number of times Dr. Hyles referenced Mrs. Hyles.  During Q&A times he would tell people that he would not take any questions about Mrs. Hyles.  I thought it was odd, but I thought she might be a very private person who was uncomfortable when spoken about.  I was in a Q&A time during a Pastor's School when someone asked him why he never spoke about his wife.  Dr. Hyles replied, "Mrs. Hyles is a lady, and a lady does not like to be made a spectacle of".

It was my understanding that he held her in high regard and she was off limits to the rest of the church.  You could attack him, but not his wife.  Leave her alone and let her live her life, was the idea.  It made sense to me - her duty is to her husband and that is nobody's business.  He was a very public figure who enjoyed the attention - She played the part but wanted privacy.  We never asked what went on behind the privacy fence.

She did teach high school girls.  My sister was in her class and really enjoyed it.  Mrs. Hyles was caring and did a great job of teaching.  She had her ss girls over to the house and everybody enjoyed it.

Binaca Chugger said:
It was my understanding that he held her in high regard and she was off limits to the rest of the church.  You could attack him, but not his wife.  Leave her alone and let her live her life, was the idea.  It made sense to me - her duty is to her husband and that is nobody's business.  He was a very public figure who enjoyed the attention - She played the part but wanted privacy.  We never asked what went on behind the privacy fence.

She did teach high school girls.  My sister was in her class and really enjoyed it.  Mrs. Hyles was caring and did a great job of teaching.  She had her ss girls over to the house and everybody enjoyed it.

That is the way that I also took it while I was at HAC.

I had Mrs. Hyles as a SS teacher in the early 70's.  I was one of the lucky ones.  She was graced and poised, but had a fun side of her that most people didn't see.  I knew a personal side of her that a lot of people didn't know.  I guess that's why I loved them both.  When we'd go to their house for SS activities, Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles were so very different from what we saw in the pulpit.  They would be Jack Hyles and Beverly Hyles, not the Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles.  To "outsiders" and I don't mean that as being mean, but you had to really grow up there, we were a tight knit church family.  Mrs. Hyles (Grama) and Mrs. Stephens they always had someone over to their place in Cal City.  Mrs. Stephens was our driver the first couple of years when HB was in the old Calumet Township building.  When we moved to the HB campus it all seemed to changed and then HAC started and nothing was the same.  "strangers" moved in.  Cindy was the gook kid (before Jack soiled her) - Dave and Linda were too snooty for me.    Becky had already left so she was out of the picture. 

I stayed one summer, and one activity was swimming at the Hyles home. Jack hyles wasnt home but Mrs. Hyles was. After we were done she gave us ice cream bars and sat and talked with us.

Still There said:
I had Mrs. Hyles as a SS teacher in the early 70's.  I was one of the lucky ones.  She was graced and poised, but had a fun side of her that most people didn't see.  I knew a personal side of her that a lot of people didn't know.  I guess that's why I loved them both.  When we'd go to their house for SS activities, Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles were so very different from what we saw in the pulpit.  They would be Jack Hyles and Beverly Hyles, not the Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles.  To "outsiders" and I don't mean that as being mean, but you had to really grow up there, we were a tight knit church family.  Mrs. Hyles (Grama) and Mrs. Stephens they always had someone over to their place in Cal City.  Mrs. Stephens was our driver the first couple of years when HB was in the old Calumet Township building.  When we moved to the HB campus it all seemed to changed and then HAC started and nothing was the same.  "strangers" moved in.  Cindy was the gook kid (before Jack soiled her) - Dave and Linda were too snooty for me.    Becky had already left so she was out of the picture.

Thank you for those thoughts.

Still There said:
I had Mrs. Hyles as a SS teacher in the early 70's.  I was one of the lucky ones.  She was graced and poised, but had a fun side of her that most people didn't see.  I knew a personal side of her that a lot of people didn't know.  I guess that's why I loved them both.  When we'd go to their house for SS activities, Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles were so very different from what we saw in the pulpit.  They would be Jack Hyles and Beverly Hyles, not the Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles.  To "outsiders" and I don't mean that as being mean, but you had to really grow up there, we were a tight knit church family.  Mrs. Hyles (Grama) and Mrs. Stephens they always had someone over to their place in Cal City.  Mrs. Stephens was our driver the first couple of years when HB was in the old Calumet Township building.  When we moved to the HB campus it all seemed to changed and then HAC started and nothing was the same.  "strangers" moved in.  Cindy was the good kid (before Jack soiled her) - Dave and Linda were too snooty for me.    Becky had already left so she was out of the picture.

It seems Becky & Linda left town & never looked back.

A friend from Michigan told me the same was the case for Russ Anderson's kids as well.

Does anyone know if this is accurate & if so what gives?

One of the Anderson's girls married a guy (HAC) that was a Youth Pastor at an IFB Church, they are now in Texas and I believe he is a Pastor, not sure of what type of church, but they are still serving the Lord, and are good people.

sword said:
Still There said:
I had Mrs. Hyles as a SS teacher in the early 70's.  I was one of the lucky ones.  She was graced and poised, but had a fun side of her that most people didn't see.  I knew a personal side of her that a lot of people didn't know.  I guess that's why I loved them both.  When we'd go to their house for SS activities, Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles were so very different from what we saw in the pulpit.  They would be Jack Hyles and Beverly Hyles, not the Bro. Hyles and Mrs. Hyles.  To "outsiders" and I don't mean that as being mean, but you had to really grow up there, we were a tight knit church family.  Mrs. Hyles (Grama) and Mrs. Stephens they always had someone over to their place in Cal City.  Mrs. Stephens was our driver the first couple of years when HB was in the old Calumet Township building.  When we moved to the HB campus it all seemed to changed and then HAC started and nothing was the same.  "strangers" moved in.  Cindy was the good kid (before Jack soiled her) - Dave and Linda were too snooty for me.    Becky had already left so she was out of the picture.

It seems Becky & Linda left town & never looked back.

A friend from Michigan told me the same was the case for Russ Anderson's kids as well.

Does anyone know if this is accurate & if so what gives?

Look at the children of the FBC pastoral and office staff from the 60's, 70's and 80's----almost none stayed at FBC.  The same can be said of the majority of HB grads from the 70's through the mid 80's----most left.