Mrs. Hyles and the kids

I know Mrs. Hyles and Becky are in Texas.  Where are Linda and Dave?

baptisthac said:
baptisthac said:

And did Linda ever write her book?

I'm sure you would read the news first on the FFF!

What on earth is the title of that book supposed to mean? 

He is "I AM".

I don't get it. 

Who's Linda?

Smellin Coffee said:
baptisthac said:
baptisthac said:

And did Linda ever write her book?

Healing From A God Who Wasn't

This is the 1st time I remember seeing this website. Linda's letter to the members of FBCH is chilling.

In the 1st portion of the letter she nails the very teaching that JH espoused at the last Pastors School that I attended. He taught an afternoon session for preachers where he taught that God gave Adam a job in the garden before He gave him a family. Therefore, the calling or the ministry is  number 1, then the wife and then the family. I slowly stood, looked him square in the eye and walked out. Another grad followed me out & asked why I had left. I told him. walked out and drove back to Georgia..........never again to return.

I was there 4 of those years when she was also a single student & a married staff member. The story she tells of the home life of the Hyles family sets some of the puzzle pieces I never been able to fit in the picture into place. To think that the pretty picture of that family was all faux-family.

Linda does NOT though tell of her situation. She throws the victim that hurt others cape over Davey-boy, her dad & JS.........but never reveals that she too wore it also..

fishinnut said:
This is the 1st time I remember seeing this website. Linda's letter to the members of FBCH is chilling.

In the 1st portion of the letter she nails the very teaching that JH espoused at the last Pastors School that I attended. He taught an afternoon session for preachers where he taught that God gave Adam a job in the garden before He gave him a family. Therefore, the calling or the ministry is  number 1, then the wife and then the family. I slowly stood, looked him square in the eye and walked out. Another grad followed me out & asked why I had left. I told him. walked out and drove back to Georgia..........never again to return.

I was there 4 of those years when she was also a single student & a married staff member. The story she tells of the home life of the Hyles family sets some of the puzzle pieces I never been able to fit in the picture into place. To think that the pretty picture of that family was all faux-family.

Linda does NOT though tell of her situation. She throws the victim that hurt others cape over Davey-boy, her dad & JS.........but never reveals that she too wore it also..

I have only watched her video.  Obviously, there are non truths.  We all heard them from her mouth.  I'm sure there are truths.  My problem, because of these facts I don't know if what I would be reading is truth or lies.

jack-says-you-cant-handle-the-truth.jpg

It has been quite sometime since we have had an update on the Hyles clan.  Any changes?

None of us know what went inside the Hyles' home. Cindy and Linda do paint very different pictures. We have all heard stories. Making assumptions is dicey. Just because he retired to the basement does not necessarily mean anything more than he was a night owl and loved to read, prepare sermons, and write his books late into the night in his basement office. Most pastors are too busy and distracted during the day if they have a daily operational ministry with staff and people around during the week.

Maybe Mrs Hyles didn't like to be disturbed once she went to bed so he stayed in the basement on a spare bed. Who knows...

Mrs Hyles said from the pulpit at his funeral that was the "best" Christian she had ever known. Powerful statement. She didn't have to say it. If he was as bad as Linda portrays she could have been respectful of the dead without bestowing unearned praise. The fact she said he was a Christian example and has remained faithful to his memory and "legacy" of his ministry by speaking at mtgs where Hyles is still very much revered says alot. She has spoken with John Wilkerson and offered her support and prayer.

Someone said earlier that Dave could come out and play the blame game and dump on his dad but he hasn't.

The bottom line is very simple ... IF what Linda claims is true and all the stories of the real Hyles home are true than that means not only was Dr Hyles not what he appeared to be in public BUT neither was Mrs Hyles. She wrote books. She taught at Hyles/Anderson College. She traveled and lectured to women across the country. IF Hyles was a bad dude and an evil father ... then Mrs Hyles enabled it and covered it up and participated in the perfect family false image. Linda should do a Mommy Dearest tell all and out her mother for covering up the sins of an evil monster (sarcasm intended).

The truth lies more in the middle. No, the Hyles' were not the perfect family like the Cleavers on TV (Leave It To Beaver). No family is. But they were not the Manson's either as Linda would have you believe. Dr Hyles was gone alot. That played a key into David's issues I am sure. I am also sure it added stress between Dr and Mrs Hyles. Her book entitled Life Viewed from the Fishbowl was a peek into her psyche'. She was and remains an extremely private person. I don't think she ever liked living in the North. I don't think she ever adapted to the "fame" of her husband. I am positive she told him more than once NOT to talk about her or the family in sermons. She liked her privacy. Yes, after the Nischik - Biblical Evangelist explosion she removed the muzzle and yes they all went overboard (the portrait on the Walker bldg was stupid).

Years ago when I asked why Linda was not around and nearly never mentioned I was told my a man who shared the platform with Dr Hyles across the country in conferences that Linda's behavior made Dave look like an angel. I was taken back by that. But in her recent expose' .... I am beginning to believe she is the manipulator and whatever she learned in that area maybe it wasn't from dad but mom...

I have always believed Mrs Hyles resented the move from Texas and Dr Hyles absences. I am convinced she blamed Dr H (by being gone so much) for Dave's downfall and muzzled him from dealing with it as he should have. I believe he dolled her up and spoiled her as a means of keeping her happy and satisified. In other words, she manipulated him. Dr Hyles had a mistress ... NO, not Jennie Nischik ... First Baptist-The Ministry-The Work. That's where he got his satisifaction and fulfillment.

At his death Mrs Hyles statement as to his genuine Christianity was an acknowledgement on her part that he had remained faithful, loyal, and loving to her and the family.
I know this post is 9 years old, but I thought there is a lot of good insight here

I think that it is funny when some of you say that, “Mrs. Hyles said this or that at the funeral, so she must’ve made up with him, respected him”, et al, ad nauseum. Mrs. Hyles, had performed like a trained seal for most of her life! I do not see how she had any other choice, save divorce and its consequences. At the funeral, she believed she would inherit monies from Hyles Publications. Her son-in-law nixed that! She knew her daughter needed her to keep her face on as the crown was passed! Mrs. Hyles, to her credit, as soon as possible, made a beeline for Texas and the good old SBC! Good on her! In your face, Jack!
Do you not stop to think what was at stake for Beverly Slaughter Hyles? She became Cindy’s confidante after Schaap did what he did. I have read Cindy’s writing about those long phone calls with Mom and how Mom was so understanding and supportive. I just bet she was! She had lived her own disaster! She left Jack Hyles once and went to Becky, their oldest daughter. No, I don’t know what happened in that house, but my money is on lots of threatening, and her contribution to the destruction of the Baptist faith in the Northern Hemisphere if she did not obey.Mrs. Hyles was a lovely, kind, Southern lady who had been forced into a life in the land of the Yankees! There were times she was absent from services, a time she walked out of a service over an issue with Dave. Did Jack pony up money for fancy clothes and Schnauzer puppies? He sure did and, in my opinion, he got off cheap! She should’ve demanded a weekly service fee, a Sunday School fee, a HAC fee, an absent husband fee, mental cruelty, family abandonment —and more! I think she was trapped in that life and had no acceptable exit. He had to die for her to live the life she wanted. I always felt sorry for her and told her so. She always took my hand and said, “Thank you.”. Not “Why?”, “Don’t”, or “Who are you?” . Just. Always. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think that it is funny when some of you say that, “Mrs. Hyles said this or that at the funeral, so she must’ve made up with him, respected him”, et al, ad nauseum. Mrs. Hyles, had performed like a trained seal for most of her life! I do not see how she had any other choice, save divorce and its consequences. At the funeral, she believed she would inherit monies from Hyles Publications. Her son-in-law nixed that! She knew her daughter needed her to keep her face on as the crown was passed! Mrs. Hyles, to her credit, as soon as possible, made a beeline for Texas and the good old SBC! Good on her! In your face, Jack!
Do you not stop to think what was at stake for Beverly Slaughter Hyles? She became Cindy’s confidante after Schaap did what he did. I have read Cindy’s writing about those long phone calls with Mom and how Mom was so understanding and supportive. I just bet she was! She had lived her own disaster! She left Jack Hyles once and went to Becky, their oldest daughter. No, I don’t know what happened in that house, but my money is on lots of threatening, and her contribution to the destruction of the Baptist faith in the Northern Hemisphere if she did not obey.Mrs. Hyles was a lovely, kind, Southern lady who had been forced into a life in the land of the Yankees! There were times she was absent from services, a time she walked out of a service over an issue with Dave. Did Jack pony up money for fancy clothes and Schnauzer puppies? He sure did and, in my opinion, he got off cheap! She should’ve demanded a weekly service fee, a Sunday School fee, a HAC fee, an absent husband fee, mental cruelty, family abandonment —and more! I think she was trapped in that life and had no acceptable exit. He had to die for her to live the life she wanted. I always felt sorry for her and told her so. She always took my hand and said, “Thank you.”. Not “Why?”, “Don’t”, or “Who are you?” . Just. Always. Thank you.
I believe you .....great post of truth

What really makes me laugh is the title of this thread. Mrs Hyles "AND THE KIDS."

Hun, there ain't no kids involved in this mess. They're all grown up, as evil as an evil adult can be, and more.

Dave is well known but were his sisters corrupt as well? Their father sure was. I'm sure in his own mind, Schaap thought he was a hot commodity worldwide.

The pulpit was lined, inside, with bullet proof glass. I refinished it once before we made the first new one for the new auditirium.
Dr. Hyles suffered from the insecurity of the fatherlessness of his childhood. He was effeminate in his emotions. He looked to women for strength, and put them in positions over men, creating much chaos at fbch. I think this to be a factor in his paranoia of the assassination attempt. Boldness and cowardice don't dwell together well, and he really was a coward.
The bulet-proofed pulpit was a great example.
Regardless of his emotional issues, he used the percieved threat to manipulate people. He used current events to manipulate people. He told lopsided stories, to manipulate people. Linda uses a very familiar pattern, in the TED speech. Very familiar.

Anishinabe
Absolutely true! This is one of the best observations I’ve read out here! I have a feeling we knew each other, but anonymity is very important here