Performance based 'Christianity'.

Mis-applying 1John is a key to PBC.

The only application to verses 6-10 is : "Are you born again or lost?".

1Jo 1:6-10
Verse 6: lost
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
Verse 7: saved
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Verse 8: lost
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
Verse 9: saved
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Verse 10: lost
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Like much of IJohn, it is a self-test.

We are cleansed once from all unrighteousness, when we confess our sins (Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner) once, to a Holy God, accepting His redemption.

Take away this passage, from the "how to live your daily Christian Life" category, and you cut the legs out from under the "now you fellowship, now you don't" PBC crowd.

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
As a Christian, is applying 1John 1:9 and dealing with/agreeing with God about certain sins in my life a form of performance based Christianity?

If I'm doing it to be accepted of God it is performance based Christianity.

If I am doing it to accept God's view of sin it is not.

So your answer is yes and no.
And, do you believe the Lord chastens his children?
If so, why?

prophet said:

6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

We are cleansed once from all unrighteousness, when we confess our sins (Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner) once, to a Holy God, accepting His redemption.

Take away this passage, from the "how to live your daily Christian Life" category, and you cut the legs out from under the "now you fellowship, now you don't" PBC crowd.

So, you answer to the question is yes....for a Christian to confess sin is a futile effort in performance based Christianity.
Or, am I putting words into your mouth?
If I'm not, then....Do you believe the Lord chastens because of sin in a Christians life?

Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:
Can someone give a list of the blessings that He will bless us with?

The Beatitudes are a great place to start...

I think this is where the disconnect is with what you are saying and what others THINK you are saying. 

Beatitudes are a inward blessing whereas others THINK you are saying a good paying job and so on.....

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
As a Christian, is applying 1John 1:9 and dealing with/agreeing with God about certain sins in my life a form of performance based Christianity?

If so, why?

For the reason the text gives.

For our profit that we may be partakers of His holiness.

prophet said:

I'm not a Greek expert but from how I understand it, in the Greek, "confess" and "cleanse" and "forgive" are tensed as active and continuing, not a one-time thing.

prophet said:

I agree. Breaks in our fellowship with God are our own doing, not His. Repairs though are His doing. I confess (again  :-[ ) and He graciously receives me back into full fellowship. As I grow older the separation is often chastening enough.

I like the story about the couple growing old together. As a farmer he has always driven a pick-up truck. Way back in their younger days she would always sit in the middle and lean on him as he drove.

One day as they are heading home from town:

Wife: It's kind of funny how I am over here by the door. I can remember when I always sat in the middle. Any idea what happened?
Husband: "Don't ask me, I never moved".

Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:

I'm not a Greek expert but from how I understand it, in the Greek, "confess" and "cleanse" and "forgive" are tensed as active and continuing, not a one-time thing.

Yup, it's an ongoing process.

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

It's understood that it's correction...instruction...discipline.
But, what do you think causes God to chasten one of His children?
Sin or wrongdoing on his or her part?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

sanctification

subllibrm said:
prophet said:

I agree. Breaks in our fellowship with God are our own doing, not His. Repairs though are His doing. I confess (again  :-[ ) and He graciously receives me back into full fellowship. As I grow older the separation is often chastening enough.

I like the story about the couple growing old together. As a farmer he has always driven a pick-up truck. Way back in their younger days she would always sit in the middle and lean on him as he drove.

One day as they are heading home from town:

Wife: It's kind of funny how I am over here by the door. I can remember when I always sat in the middle. Any idea what happened?
Husband: "Don't ask me, I never moved".

I agree with you, basically...but I'm not sure others would say the same thing.

I think there is judicial forgiveness that deals with sin's penalty....it frees us, once and for all, forever, from condemnation of the righteous judge whom we have wronged.
But, I believe their is also a parental forgiveness, which deals with our daily 'fellowship' with the Father.

That is also why Jesus, in the model prayer, includes asking forgiveness.

Binaca Chugger said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

sanctification

I assume you mean that chastening relates to our sanctification....but, that doesn't answer my question:
What instigates/motivates/causes God to begin the process or act of chastening?
Is it sin or disobedience in the life of His children?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

Sure, and what is the opposite of chastening?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

I don't know, the text doesn't say.

If you take the stance that it is sin then why isn't there chastening for every sin a believer commits?

The chastening is the natural consequences of the disordered actions we commit.

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

If you take the stance that it is sin then why isn't there chastening for every sin a believer commits?

It doesn't?

The entire passage is about discipline...correction.
Verses 9-11 even compares God chastening His children to the discipline an earthly Father.
As a father, what prompts, causes, motivates you to discipline your children?

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

Sure, what?  That chastening is prompted by disobedience...sin?
The opposite of being chastened is to not be chastened.....it goes to the writer's comparison (v.9-11) of God chastening His children to an earthly father's discipline of his children.....that pretty much explains it, doesn't it?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

It doesn't?

The entire passage is about discipline...correction.
Verses 9-11 even compares God chastening His children to the discipline an earthly Father.
As a father, what prompts, causes, motivates you to discipline your children?

To answer the question according to the text (that we are discussing) earthly fathers chastened after their own pleasure.

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If so, why?

gninetsahc?