Should a Christian Drink Alcohol

praise_yeshua

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I ran across this article and thought it was worth a read.

http://www.crossroadschristian.org/blogs/blog/12806077-can-a-christian-drink-alcohol

Like many other articles on the subject, I believe the author is missing the point..... and missing it in a tragic way. First let me say that I am a child of a broken alcoholic home. My father died from alcohol. The last time I saw him alive he was drunk at my grandfather's funeral, sitting in the back of the church with shade glasses on to hide his bloodshot eyes. My brother is an alcoholic who just split his home over his alcoholism. My grandfather on my mother's side caused serious grief in the family through using "crop money" to buy alcohol. It was common to hear my grandmother talk of my grandfather's brother drinking shoe polish for the alcohol content. I have personally been seriously impacted by alcoholism.

But

I very seldom see anyone deal with the issue correctly. The problem isn't the alcohol no more than the its the stop lights fault you had an accident. The issue is with YOU. That's what's the issue is and what it has always been. Alcohol is nothing more than an EXCUSE. I can tell you from experience, the issue in my family is one of an "addictive personality". "we" have always "over did" most anything we've ever put our minds or lives to do. I don't think I'm alone. I think its a trait common to humanity. Its called the nature of Sin. Its an endless insatiable desire for self destruction. Its in all of us. It really doesn't matter what "poison we pick". Its ALL about us.

If its not alcohol..... Its SOMETHING else. It might be drugs. It might be sugar. It might be pride or selfishness. Just keep adding to the list...... Selfishness and Pride have destroyed more lives than alcohol and drugs put together. It really is a trick of Satan to "cloud" the issue and cause humanity to focus on the "thing" more than the person doing it. Satan loves to get people talking about "things".... because he knows that he still has YOU.

If we don't start dealing with "US"..... we'll never get anywhere.

I agree with you.

I don't drink alcohol for one reason: it doesn't agree with my palette. I just don't like the taste or the texture of it.

I have godly friends who drink in moderation and are not controlled by it. Good for them. There is nothing wrong with that.

Smellin Coffee said:
I don't drink alcohol for one reason: it doesn't agree with my palette. I just don't like the taste or the texture of it.

Some is definitely better than others. People that drink for the "taste of it"..... are really the ones that are doing it for the best reason.

praise_yeshua said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Some is definitely better than others. People that drink for the "taste of it"..... are really the ones that are doing it for the best reason.

I"m sure there is difference but I haven't tried enough to find something to my liking.

Now if there was a beer that had the taste and texture of chocolate...  :D

Smellin Coffee said:
praise_yeshua said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I"m sure there is difference but I haven't tried enough to find something to my liking.

I actually bought some PINNACLE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED VODKA last year and it is amazing how much it actually tastes like chocolate..... and for the onlookers..... It didn't make me want to get drunk.

praise_yeshua said:
Smellin Coffee said:
praise_yeshua said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I actually bought some PINNACLE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED VODKA last year and it is amazing how much it actually tastes like chocolate..... and for he onlookers..... It didn't make me want to get drunk.

Gonna have to look for that. Hope it is as smooth as a Yahoo!

Smellin Coffee said:
praise_yeshua said:
Smellin Coffee said:
praise_yeshua said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I actually bought some PINNACLE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED VODKA last year and it is amazing how much it actually tastes like chocolate..... and for he onlookers..... It didn't make me want to get drunk.

Gonna have to look for that. Hope it is as smooth as a Yahoo!

Not even close... :)

Its definitely "sipping" liquor.

I like both the taste and the relaxation it brings (in the right circumstances).  My favorites: Courvoisier, Ouzo, any good Bourbon, and craft beer. 

I can't have any now, though, since I just started a keto diet. 

The article goes about talking about an opinion peice and not balanced veiw at all. If somebody chooses not to drink fine, he is not supposed to judge somebody who does, that's in Romans.
He gives antidotual stories about drinking and ruined lives, but doesn't share about others who drink and don't suffer any and actually see it for what it is, a blessign from God.

On a related note, should Jesus have turned water into wine?

rsc2a said:

He didn't. He turned it into Welch's grape juice!  :p

Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:

He didn't. He turned it into Welch's grape juice!  :p

How long does it take Welch's grape juice to ferment once you break the seal on the bottle?

KJVo-ism - where the King James Bible is perfect except where it talks about wine

The op: Yes. the KJV commands it.

Deu 14:22  Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
Deu 14:23  And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
Deu 14:24  And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
Deu 14:25  Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
Deu 14:26  And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desire: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

This is one section of Scripture I believe KJVOs would have great difficulty accepting as a legitimate and authentic part of Scripture.

You are asked to turn your tithe into money and spend it for a party or celebration. Worst part is the suggestion (command?) to buy strong drink (distilled wine) or what ever your soul desires or lusteth for.

Then you are to drink and eat before the LORD. Party hardy.

http://partyonthemoon.com/

Wow does this ever have a lot of meat in it.

I think this is one of the places they would cut out of their Bible, perish the thought.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's an issue of Christian liberty.  Obviously, no one is advocating drunkenness...the divide on the issue is.on whether moderate drinking is ok.  For many people (for example, recovering alcoholics) even moderate consumption isn't ok.  For others, an occasional glass of wine may not be a problem at all.  There are traps for the unwise at both ends of the spectrum-----the libertine can stumble into drunkenness, DUIs, or reckless behavior; and the legalist teetotaler can stumble into Pharisee-ism, which is every bit as sinful for different reasons. 

The individual Christian must trust Christ for wisdom concerning things like alcohol.  A blanket rule not based on direct Scriptural commands only urges people to look to themselves instead of looking to Christ.

only if he can stay in focus and keep God first and foremost priority in his life. 
not let it control him in any way or become drunk.