Some who don't Pastor, or once Pastored....

Tarheel Baptist said:
...know how to Pastor in theory....just didn't work in practice!
Like people with no children know how you should rear your children.

Falwell was right...those who can, DO!  ;)
Elders/Pastors/Oversers/Bishops etc.. run a church. Open your Bible.

Why your thread is referencing a "sole" Pastor makes no sense.

And to boot, whether or not this "sole" pastor, who is in a position opposing scripture...has failed...well you make no sense.

Elders/Pastors is a calling for a group of men called Church Leaders. God may keep some in their position longer than others. We cannot predict this. Nor should we insinuate there is some kind of failure because they didn't meet our expected duration of time in that particular area of service.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Billy said:
Been there, done that, bought a tee shirt.

God bless those that do and God bless those of us that did.

And, you make a valid point.
I believe the climate among IFBs in the past, did cause/pressure many into ministry who were not meant to be in ministry.....mostly the stupid philosophy of Dr Hyles  when he said let the Presbyterians be doctors and lawyers. just plain dumb....and confusing to young impressionable kids.

I was speaking to the collective genui on the FFF who know exactly how to Pastor....how not to Pastor and offer advice to make sure it's done 'right'...but have never tried to do it themselves....or have tried and failed (in itself, no disgrace).

Sorry I missed you at Olive Garden.....maybe next time!  :)
Whoever they are, they should be referencing scripture. Not offering advice

Binaca Chugger said:
Since this seems to be a catch all thread:

Why do pastors study and prepare for 3 lessons per week and get paid exponentially more than his hired teachers who study and prepare for 7 lessons per day, five days per week?

Thanks for proving the OP accurate. 

Mathew Ward said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Mathew Ward said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Holy Mole said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Could you define the job of being "Pastor"?

Just what exactly is it about your job that makes what you do so difficult for and beyond the capabilities of those who do not or have not "Pastored"?

Getting up in front of a captive audience and regurgitating what you learned in "preechin" school for 40 minutes is hard work.

One of these days you may want to try adding another string to your banjo.  8)

That's what I say about preachers.  They recycle their material so much it takes years to hear anything new.  I guess not having to come up with new material reduces the stress of having to work for 40 minutes a week.

So you think a pastor only works when he is preaching? I'm sure you have never been a pastor.

I'm sure pastors have to spend 15 minutes or so reviewing the sermon notes from the previous year.

That is a big broad brush you paint with there.

I spend from 20 hours and up studying and preparing a sermon. I can't remember the last time I just pulled sermon notes from a previous sermon.  But then again that is only 1 aspect of a pastors job.

I believe you and, as I see it, it's like anything else; the more you put into it the more becomes of it. Certainly there are those who love, council and pray for their people making this more than a full time job but as a non-Sr. Pastor I've found myself doing the same thing in various ministries that I've lead.  What really is the difference...the size of the office and pay check?

...I've paid more into the ministry than it's ever paid me...am I therefore less of a servant of God for doing most of these things at my own expense and without title and or recognition?

Tarheel Baptist said:

Tried it for 4 years. Hated it.

holy mole said:
I believe you and, as I see it, it's like anything else; the more you put into it the more becomes of it. Certainly there are those who love, council and pray for their people making this more than a full time job but as a non-Sr. Pastor I've found myself doing the same thing in various ministries that I've lead.  What really is the difference...the size of the office and pay check?

...I've paid more into the ministry than it's ever paid me...am I therefore less of a servant of God for doing most of these things at my own expense and without title and or recognition?
I can't remember the verses offhand but it says you will experience blessings for your volunteer service in spreading the good news. So Good for you, keep at it..:)  and know as you don't charge for the gospel, neither did whoever helped get you saved. BUT..you are deserving of the basics to keep yourself alive, (considering this is a challenge, Paul seems to discourage it) and likely those reaping the benefits of your service, if they can, may offer to help. Paul also gives the illustration of a Soldier not paying for himself to go to War. So Vets are VERY deserving of any material items for compensation. The world offers- pension, medical care, etc. Selflessly giving of yourself can only go so far, you must be alive and have the basics met so you can focus on saving others lives, temporal or eternal.

Scripture NEVER states reaping material benefits is exclusively for Pastors. Pastors aren't even mentioned, and the title Pastor is only mentioned once in the Bible.

Binaca Chugger said:

Why do pastors study and prepare for 3 lessons per week and get paid exponentially more than his hired teachers who study and prepare for 7 lessons per day, five days per week?

Well, normally, they also do the administration of the church duties, visit the sick, perform funerals and weddings, visit members and visitors, etc, etc, etc.

Holy Mole said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Just what exactly is it about your job that makes what you do so difficult for and beyond the capabilities of those who do not or have not "Pastored"?

Where have I said the role of a Pastor was 'so difficult'?
The point is that it's easy to sit on the sideline and judge or criticize when you don't have skin in the game, so to speak. Read this thread and see some of the inane posts and you'll realize that many of the critics have NO concept of what a Pastor is or does.

Others here do understand and aren't so quick to judge or criticize.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Holy Mole said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Getting up in front of a captive audience and regurgitating what you learned in "preechin" school for 40 minutes is hard work.

Captive audience?
Hardly. They don't have to attend, don't have to give, don't have to serve....they do it voluntarily.
Which makes all the difference in leadership. You have to be able to connect with people, reach people with the Gospel, disciple people with the principles of Scripture, equip people to serve, then encourage them to serve.

IF there really were a captive audience, then many of the critics here could Pastor...until someone found the key to the cell!

Holy Mole:

I'm sure that's true, of you and many other faithful Christians just like you.
I have seen no one intimate that you are less a servant of God because you have no title or recognition. Maybe you think that because you've heard it other places, but I certainly don't think it true.

subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Holy Mole said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

One of these days you may want to try adding another string to your banjo.  8)

;D

Binaca Chugger said:

Are you speaking of Christian School teachers?
If so, I think they should be paid comparable salaries to their public school peers.

But even in secular fields, salary usually corresponds with responsibility.
If you think studying and preparing 3 lessons per week is Pastoring, you're mistaken.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Captive audience?

Yes, captive.  Sure, they don't have to show up.  But once they're there, they are not allowed to do anything but sit there and listen.  That makes them a captive audience. 

Since today's churchgoers are anywhere from 20-60% unbelievers, depending on who you ask, it's no surprise they'd keep showing up even if you're teaching crap.  They wouldn't know the difference.  And it doesn't really matter to them, anyway.  They probably forget everything you've said minutes after they leave (assuming they were paying attention to begin with). 

Which brings us back to one of the big problems with today's "go to church" model.  Instead of the Biblical purpose, it has turned into a twisted outreach program -- twisted because instead of evangelizing to the masses, you're outreaching to the same group of unbelievers week after week who aren't there to get saved.  They're there to "go to church". 

Frag said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Thanks for proving the OP accurate.

Thanks for displaying your self-inflated ego.

Dunkard said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Well, normally, they also do the administration of the church duties, visit the sick, perform funerals and weddings, visit members and visitors, etc, etc, etc.

I have been on pastoral staff in 6 states.  Never did I have a pastor in my life that led in these duties.  Sad, isn't it?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Are you speaking of Christian School teachers?
If so, I think they should be paid comparable salaries to their public school peers.

But even in secular fields, salary usually corresponds with responsibility.
If you think studying and preparing 3 lessons per week is Pastoring, you're mistaken.

For the IFB Mog model, this is EXACTLY what pastoring is.  In all my years and journeys, I have only found one who felt otherwise, so there is where I attend now.  I find great irony in the "national" Mogs who proclaim that teh "CEO mentality" in the pastorate is from the liberals, yet, that is teh only duty other than preaching they perform as pastor.

Binaca Chugger said:
Dunkard said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I have been on pastoral staff in 6 states.  Never did I have a pastor in my life that led in these duties.  Sad, isn't it?

I'm trying to find scriptural support for hiring (salary and benefits) pastors to visit the sick, perform funerals and weddings, visit members and visitors, etc, etc, etc.  Can anyone help me find it? 

Tarheel Baptist said:

And which particular church did Paul pastor for a long period of time while doling out pastoral advice? ;)

Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

And which particular church did Paul pastor for a long period of time while doling out pastoral advice? ;)
You remember 1 Nowhere ever, where Paul said "appoint one super gifted dude to run the show"?

Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If only you had a Damascus Road experience, I'd gladly listen to you.  ;)
Maybe your Doctor might take your advice on surgical procedures....