Speaking of church, what ministry(s) do you serve in?

When we moved to this area 19 years ago,  an elderly lady of the church fascinated me with her sweet spirit.  Every time I went out to eat with her or took her to run an errand, at least one person would come up and say to her, "Mrs. L, you taught me SS/led me to the Lord/used to pick me up for church."  Her impact on people was remarkable.  She brought 90-year-old Mrs. P. to church.  I offered to pick up Mrs. P. because I thought Mrs. L. was a little old to be driving someone else, but Mrs. L refused my offer.  Turns out Mrs. P and her husband used to walk little Mrs. L to church when they lived in a mountain coal camp. Little Mrs. L, from an unchurched family, was saved and later married a preacher.  He became Mr. and Mrs. P's pastor until his death. 
Mrs. L.  lived faithfully to age 97.  Her funeral is tomorrow. 
I want to love Jesus as much and as long as she.  I pray the Lord will keep me faithful in the ministries He has placed me.

ALAYMAN said:
Matthew1323 said:
Praise the Lord! Enjoyed reading this testimony.

Thanks.  This post, and many like Inf, subllibrm, aleshanee, Hedied4U, and others was the intended spirit of this thread.  I wish others would join in.

M1323 said:
It's also good to hear how that even the big shots in the church can have a part in being used by the Lord.

There was no intention from the OP onward to convey what you have inferred.  It's a figment of yours, and other folks imagination.

I enjoyed reading about your children's teaching ministry. I was saved in a IFB church in part due to the love of a couple that came by my "low income" house to take me to church. It was ALSO in part due to a friend of mine at the time that I enjoyed getting drunk with and smoking dope. He went to the same church.

I say this to make the point that it is ALL due to the Gospel of the Grace of God!!!

Yes. Its important for use to make a difference and we should encourage others to follow in the "good" footsteps of others. Its important that the Gospel be sown in ALL fields. On good and bad ground alike. The sower very seldom talks of the sowing. He looks for the wondrous work of God in the harvest. We sow in "hope".... Looking for the bountiful blessings of God.

I know were your heart is in this. I'm just making the point that its difficult to present things like you're presenting and not give the impression some are taking. Which is why I very seldom even discuss it.

Just my penny.

praise_yeshua said:
I enjoyed reading about your children's teaching ministry. I was saved in a IFB church in part due to the love of a couple that came by my "low income" house to take me to church. It was ALSO in part due to a friend of mine at the time that I enjoyed getting drunk with and smoking dope. He went to the same church.

I say this to make the point that it is ALL due to the Gospel of the Grace of God!!!

Yes. Its important for use to make a difference and we should encourage others to follow in the "good" footsteps of others. Its important that the Gospel be sown in ALL fields. On good and bad ground alike. The sower very seldom talks of the sowing. He looks for the wondrous work of God in the harvest. We sow in "hope".... Looking for the bountiful blessings of God.

I know were your heart is in this. I'm just making the point that its difficult to present things like you're presenting and not give the impression some are taking. Which is why I very seldom even discuss it.

Just my penny.

Thanks bro, your post was interesting and encouraging.  I am aware of the truth of the bolded part above, and recognize that some would indeed try to rob God of the glory that is due only Him.  All I can say, as I did from the beginning, is that's not me, and I appreciate that you stated as much.  The truth is, I had selfish motives, selfish in that some think that it's selfish to feel good about doing the right thing.  I like hearing of God's grace in other people's lives.  It endears me to Him, knowing (and hearing) that He loves others as much and more than me.  It spurs me on.  It gives me more fire to serve and be strengthened in Him.  That process, in terms of what the reformed folk call "the means of grace"  is not all that different than when I hear the word preached.  Illustrations are given in a sermon which inspire, but as we hear those human illustrations we don't put our faith in the preacher, or the human object of his illustrations, but rather the God who we know is the source and power of all that is good and righteous.

Chad, brother if you read this thread to its end and see this, your presence is missed, and I'd love if you'd stick around and post a bit again on the FFF.

blessings

ALAYMAN said:
Walt said:
When the OP said Just thought it would be nice to hear some braggin' on the Lord of how some of my brothers and sisters serve Him in their assembly, I interpreted "braggin' on the Lord" as glorifying Him via how some serve in the assembly, and all the replies list this.  That led to my confusion.

I've always appreciated what you bring to the table here Walt.  I was only focusing on the church ministry angle of how we glorify God because of a recent tangent in a different thread about house-church vs traditional church stuff.  You just sorta stepped in that mild crossfire.  Anyhoo, would be glad to hear, if you care, how the Lord has blessed you in your years of knowing and serving Him in your assembly.

Thank you for your kind words.

I'd prefer not to talk about what the Lord has allowed me to do; it just comes out sounding like I'm lifting up myself.  In a general sense, I'll say that I feel very much in the background; I don't have a position where I get up in front of people, but I try to encourage all those that come to church.  I do a lot of "behind the scenes" infrastructure kind of things.

But long-term members here may remember that I was involved in an IFBx church for quite a while.  The Lord opened my eyes, and we left, and found a place where the people (even the pastor :) ) love the Lord.  And the Holy Spirit began to speak and to work on me.  I found that I was using the wrongs of the IFBx church to hide a lot of my own sins; once we were away from that mess, He has been showing me more and more sinfulness still lurking in my heart.  Along with a deeper understanding of my sin came more and more understanding of the true wonders of His grace in saving me, and then letting me do anything for Him.

I've been "stretched" at times; not always the path I would have chosen for myself, but grateful almost beyond words that He has not given up on me.

banjoplucker said:
So many good  posts about what you are doing.  The main thing is you ARE doing. 

God uses all to touch the lives of people. 

Greeter is the first impression of the Church.
If you help clean the church toilets you are just as important in the overall work of the Ministry.  Imagine a visitor using the bathroom that reeks of urine just before Church. 

You work in the nursery, you drive a bus, it does not matter,  The important thing is to be Proud of what you do.  I hate when I hear someone say "I just .....".  You just what,    Serve God, Love your Family, Go to Church, fill a need in the Ministry.    That is more than enough.  Think of all those that have the talent and do nothing.  If the only thing you did was went to a Nursing home and held the hand of a resident whose family never visits.  T

Or you like the 9 yr old boy that invited me to church (never set foot in a church before that day).  Than hold you head high, praise God for allowing you to influence even one person.

Good words... but I still have some of the IFBx in me that thinks what I am doing is not enough unless I'm bringing people to Christ and routinely having people baptized....  some things are hard to leave.

There are people that are a joy to be around, and it is always good to see them at church.  I hope to be like that.

I don't like saying I can walk from my house to my vehicle because some may take it that I am bragging.

I really don't like typing because it may come across like I'm bragging.

I don't like saying that I'm awesome, because it might not come across that I'm actually praising God that I'm awesome.

I don't like testifying, because, well, I don't uh, really have any tangible, ummm, stuff that demonstrates God has changed me or is using me.  :-[

Bruh said:

No one would miatake YOUR typing for bragging! Just had to say that. :)

Mine certainly shouldn't confuss anyone!

praise_yeshua said:
Bruh said:

No one would miatake YOUR typing for bragging! Just had to say that. :)

Mine certainly shouldn't confuss anyone!

Oh I don't know. I read a lot of your posts and find my self confussed.  ;D

ALAYMAN said:
I don't like testifying, because, well, I don't uh, really have any tangible, ummm, stuff that demonstrates God has changed me or is using me.  :-[

I'm now certain that you really do have potential.  ;)

ALAYMAN said:

I wouldn't say that.  It's entirely possible God is using you to drive others toward the doctrines of grace and Christian liberty. 

Bruh said:
I don't like saying I can walk from my house to my vehicle because some may take it that I am bragging.

If you said that to someone that is wheelchair bound, then I would agree with you. Unless, of course, you prefaced that statement with a humble sounding praise to the Lord.

I don't like telling people I have a vehicle, because they may think I'm bragging because I can afford one.

Bruh said:
I don't like telling people I have a vehicle, because they may think I'm bragging because I can afford one.

Only if it's a Lexus or Ferrari... :)

I make myself open to most ministries where there is a need, from nursery to helping with sign-ups...whatever, which is part of being a pastor's wife.  The ministry that I actually am a permanent volunteer for is our Grief Support which can mean anything from volunteering for hospice or helping facilitate a support group.  That is my heart.

Production: Make videos, logo stings, lyrics, whatever goes on the screen.
SS Teacher Assistant
Pulpit Supply when needed

FSSL said:
Production: Make videos, logo stings, lyrics, whatever goes on the screen.
SS Teacher Assistant
Pulpit Supply when needed

smh