Sword of the Lord Board of Directors

Twisted said:
RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
Jrock said:
I thought Jeff Fugate was member of the board of directors? He is often with them in bible conferences. Also, since this is in the Hyles-Anderson group, my question is why did Hyles split with the Sword of the Lord? Was it because of Shelton Smith? Since the Lord of the Lord does not have a bible college or a local church, would you define the Sword as a para-church organization?

Hyles split with the Sword was under Hudsons rule.  And yes, the Sword is a para-church organization.

I don't believe this is correct.  I believe The Sword split with Hyles after Smith took over.

It is ancient history, but I seem to remember Hyles being removed from the Sword board after the Sumner article came out in 89. 
Jack and Curtis might have appeared to be chummy again (especially close to Curtis' death) but Hyles was never reinstated on the Sword board.

http://bju.typepad.com/bjuexposed/2007/05/the_curtis_huts.html

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
Jrock said:
I thought Jeff Fugate was member of the board of directors? He is often with them in bible conferences. Also, since this is in the Hyles-Anderson group, my question is why did Hyles split with the Sword of the Lord? Was it because of Shelton Smith? Since the Lord of the Lord does not have a bible college or a local church, would you define the Sword as a para-church organization?

Hyles split with the Sword was under Hudsons rule.  And yes, the Sword is a para-church organization.

I don't believe this is correct.  I believe The Sword split with Hyles after Smith took over.

It is ancient history, but I seem to remember Hyles being removed from the Sword board after the Sumner article came out in 89. 
Jack and Curtis might have appeared to be chummy again (especially close to Curtis' death) but Hyles was never reinstated on the Sword board.

To quote President Hillary; "What does it matter??"

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
Jrock said:

Nothing.
Sorry, I intended to post that to Jrock's post.
He was interested in this ancient history.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Vince Massi said:
After the Sumner article came out, Curtis Hudson printed a lengthy article documenting Sumner?s errors. Hudson personally talked to several of Sumner?s sources, who told Hudson that they had been misquoted and they told Hudson what had actually happened.

Some time before he posted his article, Sumner had been fired after an unsuccessful attempt to seize The Sword of the Lord. Hyles had attended the board meeting and personally led the effort to have Sumner fired. Returning to Hammond, Hyles immediately had Sumner added to the list of preachers who received financial support from First Baptist.

When Sumner refused the money, accusing Hyles of trying to bribe him into silence, Hyles explained that he had been concerned about Sumner?s financial condition after losing his Sword job.

Have the Nischik children ever recanted their stories?
IMO, they provided THE devastating evidence against Dr Hyles.

They have not recanted. Why should they recant? Truth is truth even when we don't want to believe it.

Much more devastating are the transcripts of the testimony given by Bro. Hyles in the Nischik divorce, now those are hard to explain away.

They are available to anyone walking into the Lake County courthouse that wishes to read them.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
Jrock said:

Nothing.
Sorry, I intended to post that to Jrock's post.
He was interested in this ancient history.

Pay attention, JRock, there will be a quiz.

Vince Massi said:
After the Sumner article came out, Curtis Hudson printed a lengthy article documenting Sumner?s errors. Hudson personally talked to several of Sumner?s sources, who told Hudson that they had been misquoted and they told Hudson what had actually happened.

Some time before he posted his article, Sumner had been fired after an unsuccessful attempt to seize The Sword of the Lord. Hyles had attended the board meeting and personally led the effort to have Sumner fired. Returning to Hammond, Hyles immediately had Sumner added to the list of preachers who received financial support from First Baptist.

When Sumner refused the money, accusing Hyles of trying to bribe him into silence, Hyles explained that he had been concerned about Sumner?s financial condition after losing his Sword job.
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Sumner expect to take over at the Sword after Dr. Rice died but JH backed his friend Curtis Hutson and the board sided with Hyles. After that Sumner hated Hyles and vowed to get even. If that's not correct, it sure makes for good story telling.
Like was said earlier it's ancient history now.

Someone needs to write a book entitled "Jack Hyles, the good, the bad, and the ugly" in it would be the truth of what happened not just spin.

Jrock said:

I'm not really sure why Hyles split with the SOTL; he and his minions claimed that "it wasn't what it was"; however Curtis Hudson seemed to stand behind Hyles.  Not really sure, but maybe someone knows.

According to Sumner, he had honesty issues with Curtis Hudson, but Jack Hyles supported Curtis Hudson regardless.

Jrock said:
I thought Jack Hyles and Curtis Hutson were good friends. Was it over a doctrinal matter? Also, why didn't Hyles like Pensacola Christian College? In my opinion, both schools have similar doctrines and standards.

Pensacola was a competing college with HAC (as was Bob Jones) back whet Hyles was trying to get HAC up and running.  He needed some excuse why people should send their kids to his college instead of BJU or PCC.

RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
Jrock said:

I don't believe this is correct. There was a definite coolness toward the SOTL coming from Hyles and his crowd.

Twisted said:
RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
Jrock said:

I think CH needed to remove Hyles, although he seemed to fully support him.  He (CH) was very gracious to JH when JH had that "incident" in NC (I think).

Maybe it was the lack of the 100% support that caused the coolness.  I noticed it in about 1991 or 1992.

Vince Massi said:

That was Hyles' story.  Sumner tells a different (and more believable) story; that he merely had concerns about the honest of CH.  He received no money from the SOTL, so there was nothing to reimburse.

So much revisionism.  So many inaccurasies.

I wish you uninformed people would at least spell Hutson correctly.

bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Vince Massi said:

They have not recanted. Why should they recant? Truth is truth even when we don't want to believe it.

Much more devastating are the transcripts of the testimony given by Bro. Hyles in the Nischik divorce, now those are hard to explain away.

They are available to anyone walking into the Lake County courthouse that wishes to read them.

It's a long way to walk.  Are they available online?  I would very much like to read them.

sword said:
Vince Massi said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Sumner expect to take over at the Sword after Dr. Rice died but JH backed his friend Curtis Hutson and the board sided with Hyles. After that Sumner hated Hyles and vowed to get even. If that's not correct, it sure makes for good story telling.
Like was said earlier it's ancient history now.

That's not the way Sumner tells it.  He said that he merely had concerns about the honest of CH, and JH bullied everyone else into silence.  Sumner just went his own way after that.  I do not detect any hatred in his writing.

bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Vince Massi said:

You know, at this time I was a fairly young college student who came to hac and thought that jh walked on water. This was reinforced over and over by college and church staff. When this stuff came out we were told over and over that jh was as pure as the wind driven snow and it was all nothing but lies of the devil in order to destroy New Testament soul-winning. I believed it. Then, when I saw this kind of stuff on TV I remember being very confused and asking myself, "What is he doing in court about a divorce?"

Sword writes: "Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Sumner expect to take over at the Sword after Dr. Rice died but JH backed his friend Curtis Hutson and the board sided with Hyles. After that Sumner hated Hyles and vowed to get even. If that's not correct, it sure makes for good story telling.
Like was said earlier it's ancient history now."

I'm relying on old memory, but it went something like this: Rice had hired some guy (not Sumner) to increase the Sword's circulation. They guy had a promotion in which you received a Kodak Instamatic Camera if you sent in a certain number of subscriptions.  He ran "sales" in which you got lower prices for getting a large number of subscriptions or renewals. Dr. Rice thought the guy was fantastic and would brag about him in the Sword.

The guy thought that he would take over when Rice died. At a Sword board meeting (The Board of the Sword?) he accused Hutson of financial irregularities and insisted that the proof was in Hutson's desk. Hutson immediately made the man search Hutson's desk, and when he found nothing, Hutson fired him on the spot. After cleaning out his office, the guy stopped by Hutson's office and threatened to get revenge. Sumner quickly hired the fellow after that.

Vince Massi said:
Sword writes: "Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Sumner expect to take over at the Sword after Dr. Rice died but JH backed his friend Curtis Hutson and the board sided with Hyles. After that Sumner hated Hyles and vowed to get even. If that's not correct, it sure makes for good story telling.
Like was said earlier it's ancient history now."

I'm relying on old memory, but it went something like this: Rice had hired some guy (not Sumner) to increase the Sword's circulation. They guy had a promotion in which you received a Kodak Instamatic Camera if you sent in a certain number of subscriptions.  He ran "sales" in which you got lower prices for getting a large number of subscriptions or renewals. Dr. Rice thought the guy was fantastic and would brag about him in the Sword.

The guy thought that he would take over when Rice died. At a Sword board meeting (The Board of the Sword?) he accused Hutson of financial irregularities and insisted that the proof was in Hutson's desk. Hutson immediately made the man search Hutson's desk, and when he found nothing, Hutson fired him on the spot. After cleaning out his office, the guy stopped by Hutson's office and threatened to get revenge. Sumner quickly hired the fellow after that.

That sounds believable, based on my rather limited knowledge. I don't think Mr Sumner trusted CH, but I never saw hatred toward JH in his writings.

Tennessean said:

Good Heavens, Folks--Tennessean is correct! His name was Curtis Hutson!

Now, uhm, concerning the word "inaccurasies"...

Vince Massi said:
Tennessean said:

Good Heavens, Folks--Tennessean is correct! His name was Curtis Hutson!

Now, uhm, concerning the word "inaccurasies"...

Hahahaha!