Toby Mac

FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:
Even before I became a Christian as a young man I had great disdain for the peer pressure and pop culture lemming philosophy.  I just have never been a follower.  If somebody were to say to me "do this and it will make ya cool" then you can bet I'd probably do just the opposite.  I like to make my own mind up as to why I do what I do, say what I say, and go where I go.  Of course that maverick streak has been tamed by the Lord now that I have been redeemed.  But that penchant for not following the crowd leaves me pretty unimpressed by the whole hip-hop nation (and other pop culture movements like it).  I think it makes Christians look gullible, and often times worldly.  We ought to be creative and novel in our attitudes that are derived from the Bible, not merely lock-step devotees of the latest skinny-jeans and soul patch (or Andy Griffity/Father Knows Best) phenomenon.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Well then... thanks for the honesty. It really isn't about the content of the words in CCM being watered down. You don't like the style. You don't like the style because you don't like the culture.

LeCrae and tobyMac are reaching a culture many here do not like.

Can a culture be ungodly in nature? Need to repent and change?

aleshanee said:
.tim said:
Since this is turning into a lesson on slang, street lingo, and such ...

What does "Feelin' so fly" honestly mean? What do you take it to mean?

http://youtu.be/jjI4Xh6m-cI

that video was discussed in depth in the thread called "rap"......

today the term feeling "fly" simply means feeling good or awesome....... but it too had it;s origins in counter culture... specifically the drug culture....where if one was mentally altered or artificially elated they were said to be "high"....... heroin was sometimes referred to as "fly" because it was the drug that could "take you there"......  but it was called by a myriad of other names too......... .. if a person was "feeling fly"... they were feeling as if they were on a heroin high... or high from some other drug...... most younger people today don;t think of the term "feeling fly" as a drug term..... they are just copying what they heard someone say and they thought sounded kewl.... just like men wearing upper chin goatees that i would personally think look ridiculous even if i didn;t know where it originated.......

for the record i don;t like the shaved head and goatee look on men either....... there is something wrong with men who put too much effort into their personal grooming like that....... it comes off as nothing but vanity to me......... and i don;t want men in my life who are vain....... as a female i feel i;m vain enough for both of us.... someone has to balance this out....... 

Your last paragraph has me lmao. Thanks!

.tim said:
[quote author=FSSL]Well then... thanks for the honesty. It really isn't about the content of the words in CCM being watered down. You don't like the style. You don't like the style because you don't like the culture.

[/quote]

Yes. See IFB-dom. ;)

aleshanee said:
.tim said:

today the term feeling "fly" simply means feeling good or awesome....... but it too had it;s origins in counter culture... specifically the drug culture....where if one was mentally altered or artificially elated they were said to be "high"....... heroin was sometimes referred to as "fly" because it was the drug that could "take you there"......  but it was called by a myriad of other names too......... .. if a person was "feeling fly"... they were feeling as if they were on a heroin high... or high from some other drug...... most younger people today don;t think of the term "feeling fly" as a drug term..... they are just copying what they heard someone say and they thought sounded kewl.... just like men wearing upper chin goatees that i would personally think look ridiculous even if i didn;t know where it originated.......

for the record i don;t like the shaved head and goatee look on men either....... there is something wrong with men who put too much effort into their personal grooming like that....... it comes off as nothing but vanity to me......... and i don;t want men in my life who are vain....... as a female i feel i;m vain enough for both of us.... someone has to balance this out....... 

Thanks Aleshanee

I drive a few teens to Church on Monday youth nights.

One night I had a Toby Mac CD playing and "Funky Jesus Music" came on. I turned it up. One of the boys, who is into secular music, country, rock ... said, "I think that crosses a line"

http://youtu.be/IVVSFf0OVkc

This guy is awesome!

MV5BMTYzMDM5ODU4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQ5NjQ4NA@@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg]

.tim said:
I turned it up. One of the boys, who is into secular music, country, rock ... said, "I think that crosses a line"

I think country music crosses a line.

tobyMac also has "I want a Mac Daddy" on the same album. Can Christians NOT have fun?

FSSL said:
.tim said:
I turned it up. One of the boys, who is into secular music, country, rock ... said, "I think that crosses a line"

tobyMac also has "I want a Mac Daddy" on the same album. Can Christians NOT have fun?

From my perspective, I believe he was saying "this is irreverent and uncomfortable"

.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:
Even before I became a Christian as a young man I had great disdain for the peer pressure and pop culture lemming philosophy.  I just have never been a follower.  If somebody were to say to me "do this and it will make ya cool" then you can bet I'd probably do just the opposite.  I like to make my own mind up as to why I do what I do, say what I say, and go where I go.  Of course that maverick streak has been tamed by the Lord now that I have been redeemed.  But that penchant for not following the crowd leaves me pretty unimpressed by the whole hip-hop nation (and other pop culture movements like it).  I think it makes Christians look gullible, and often times worldly.  We ought to be creative and novel in our attitudes that are derived from the Bible, not merely lock-step devotees of the latest skinny-jeans and soul patch (or Andy Griffity/Father Knows Best) phenomenon.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Well then... thanks for the honesty. It really isn't about the content of the words in CCM being watered down. You don't like the style. You don't like the style because you don't like the culture.

No, not to the CCM crowd.  As long as you make a broad reference that could be applied to Scripture and or a positive outlook on life, then there is no need to repent or make adjustments. 

I have a full beard and have had since I was 19. I was rejected for enrollment by a local bible school because of their facial hair policy. The idea was that it shows either a worldly view point or that there is rebellion lurking. Truth is, it is because I can't shave without getting a face full of ingrown hairs (yes, hairs, I don't grow whiskers). I'm not going to shave so that I can have a ready harvest of puss sacks. If that is a sign of rebellion then I guess y'all better get out the stones.

BTW my wife loves my beard. It is soft and fluffy. None of that brillo pad stuff you manly men grow.  ;D

4everfsu said:
aleshanee said:
.tim said:

Your last paragraph has me lmao. Thanks!

He's a sissy.

Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

No, not to the CCM crowd.  As long as you make a broad reference that could be applied to Scripture and or a positive outlook on life, then there is no need to repent or make adjustments.

Since no one can define CCM could you define "the CCM crowd"?

subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

Who says CCM can't be defined?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_Christian_music

Contemporary Christian music (or CCM—and occasionally "inspirational music") is a genre of modern popular music which is lyrically focused on matters concerned with the Christian faith. It formed as those affected by the 1960s Jesus movement revival began to express themselves in a more contemporary style of music than the hymns, Gospel and Southern Gospel music that was prevalent in the church at the time. Today, the term is typically used to refer to pop, rock, or praise & worship styles.

christundivided said:
Sounds we have somethings in common... :)

I'd appreciate if you'd not spread that around.

;)

FSSL said:

Thanks for demonstrating once again that of all the people on here, other than rsc2a, you have the greatest ability to ignore the salient point of what is communicated to you, all the while twisting people's words like a pretzel.

subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

Toby Mac Funky Jesus Music

Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

Toby Mac Funky Jesus Music

That is ... and so is this ...

http://youtu.be/N_lrrq_opng

Funky = The music was identified as slow, "sexy", loose, riff-oriented and danceable.

Yep, something that our Lord would want to be "IDENTIFIED" with. 

Speaking of James Brown and his "FUNK" music. 

Brown's innovations led to him and his band becoming the seminal funk act; they also pushed the funk music style further to the forefront with releases such as "Cold Sweat" (1967), "Mother Popcorn" (1969) and "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine" (1970), discarding even the twelve-bar blues featured in his earlier music.

Yep, something our Lord would want to be "IDENTIFIED" with. 

FSSL said:
.tim said:

Yes they can.... just don't call it a "ministry".....

Why does everyone feel as if they can use the name of Christ in something and then claim its a "ministry"?

Can you understand the lyrics to all of Toby Mac's songs? If you can't.... then what edification do you get from it?

I wear a beard, have for decades ..if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me...seriously, again it's  much more to do with preference, like music, thn any sinister hidden agenda or meaning.

christundivided said:
Can you understand the lyrics to all of Toby Mac's songs? If you can't.... then what edification do you get from it?

I am not sure I have come across any of his lyrics I don't understand. I know that "speak life" is clear and understandable. We even downloaded it as a ringtone for my wife because it reminds here of speaking life when answering.