Toby Mac

FSSL said:
christundivided said:
Can you understand the lyrics to all of Toby Mac's songs? If you can't.... then what edification do you get from it?

I am not sure I have come across any of his lyrics I don't understand. I know that "speak life" is clear and understandable. We even downloaded it as a ringtone for my wife because it reminds here of speaking life when answering.

I've heard several of his songs that I couldn't make heads or tails of. I don't think I've listened to "speak life".

aleshanee said:
T-Bone said:
I wear a bread, have for decades ..if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me...seriously, gain hs much more to do with preference, like music, thn any sinister hidden agenda or meaning.

you wear a bread?..... ???... that must look strange...... do weevils ever get into it?......  ???......

i rmember Jesus breaking bread... but i never realized He wore one too......  ;)

LOL...this IPad is killing me...as if my spelling is not bad enough, this auto correction is nuts!  :)

christundivided said:
I've heard several of his songs that I couldn't make heads or tails of. I don't think I've listened to "speak life".

My daughters introduced us to his music. They bought this particular CD. At first, we didn't like the style of music but it grew on us. Listening to the CD, we grew to love his music and the lyrics of "speak life" are now one of my wife's favorite songs.

It is all a matter of taste.

FSSL said:
My daughters introduced us to his music. ...

Chalk one up for Frag....

"CCM is from the feminization of male evangelicalism...."

;)

I would have said, "my sons," but God did not see fit to give me any.

.tim said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:
Even before I became a Christian as a young man I had great disdain for the peer pressure and pop culture lemming philosophy.  I just have never been a follower.  If somebody were to say to me "do this and it will make ya cool" then you can bet I'd probably do just the opposite.  I like to make my own mind up as to why I do what I do, say what I say, and go where I go.  Of course that maverick streak has been tamed by the Lord now that I have been redeemed.  But that penchant for not following the crowd leaves me pretty unimpressed by the whole hip-hop nation (and other pop culture movements like it).  I think it makes Christians look gullible, and often times worldly.  We ought to be creative and novel in our attitudes that are derived from the Bible, not merely lock-step devotees of the latest skinny-jeans and soul patch (or Andy Griffity/Father Knows Best) phenomenon.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Well then... thanks for the honesty. It really isn't about the content of the words in CCM being watered down. You don't like the style. You don't like the style because you don't like the culture.

LeCrae and tobyMac are reaching a culture many here do not like.

Can a culture be ungodly in nature? Need to repent and change?

No, not to the CCM crowd.  As long as you make a broad reference that could be applied to Scripture and or a positive outlook on life, then there is no need to repent or make adjustments.

Since no one can define CCM could you define "the CCM crowd"?

Who says CCM can't be defined?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_Christian_music

Contemporary Christian music (or CCM—and occasionally "inspirational music") is a genre of modern popular music which is lyrically focused on matters concerned with the Christian faith. It formed as those affected by the 1960s Jesus movement revival began to express themselves in a more contemporary style of music than the hymns, Gospel and Southern Gospel music that was prevalent in the church at the time. Today, the term is typically used to refer to pop, rock, or praise & worship styles.

A broad term at best.

I will ask it again. How are the Gettys and KingsX (given as an example of CCM in another thread) alike? Or even similar?

FSSL said:
christundivided said:

My daughters introduced us to his music. They bought this particular CD. At first, we didn't like the style of music but it grew on us. Listening to the CD, we grew to love his music and the lyrics of "speak life" are now one of my wife's favorite songs.

It is all a matter of taste.

If I listen to it regularly it doesn't bother me. But, if I put it away for a few months and then go back to it .... it does bother me a little.

I got my son & daughter one of Toby Mac's newest CDs ... Dubbed & Freq'd: A Remix Project  ... my wife didn't appreciate it at all!

My kids liked this song a lot ...

http://youtu.be/oKe4LL3I0cY

Eventually, I took the CD away and told my son and daughter that we were not in agreement allowing them to keep that CD.

I will say this ... rarely does a Toby Mac song speak to me through words ... I just find the music fun to listen to. Unlike other CCM bands ... like Kutless ... they are CCM, rock even, but the words speak to me ...

http://youtu.be/u1JBSQMkQEo

http://youtu.be/T9dDrK2a3Os

Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:
Even before I became a Christian as a young man I had great disdain for the peer pressure and pop culture lemming philosophy.  I just have never been a follower.  If somebody were to say to me "do this and it will make ya cool" then you can bet I'd probably do just the opposite.  I like to make my own mind up as to why I do what I do, say what I say, and go where I go.  Of course that maverick streak has been tamed by the Lord now that I have been redeemed.  But that penchant for not following the crowd leaves me pretty unimpressed by the whole hip-hop nation (and other pop culture movements like it).  I think it makes Christians look gullible, and often times worldly.  We ought to be creative and novel in our attitudes that are derived from the Bible, not merely lock-step devotees of the latest skinny-jeans and soul patch (or Andy Griffity/Father Knows Best) phenomenon.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Well then... thanks for the honesty. It really isn't about the content of the words in CCM being watered down. You don't like the style. You don't like the style because you don't like the culture.

No, not to the CCM crowd.  As long as you make a broad reference that could be applied to Scripture and or a positive outlook on life, then there is no need to repent or make adjustments.

Toby Mac Funky Jesus Music

And my liking the Gettys and their music makes me part of the CCM crowd?

How exactly?

.tim said:
Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

That is ... and so is this ...

http://youtu.be/N_lrrq_opng

Of the debil!  :eek:

subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

And my liking the Gettys and their music makes me part of the CCM crowd?

How exactly?

Toby is a Mac.

subllibrm said:
.tim said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
.tim said:
FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

Who says CCM can't be defined?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_Christian_music

Contemporary Christian music (or CCM—and occasionally "inspirational music") is a genre of modern popular music which is lyrically focused on matters concerned with the Christian faith. It formed as those affected by the 1960s Jesus movement revival began to express themselves in a more contemporary style of music than the hymns, Gospel and Southern Gospel music that was prevalent in the church at the time. Today, the term is typically used to refer to pop, rock, or praise & worship styles.

A broad term at best.

I will ask it again. How are the Gettys and KingsX (given as an example of CCM in another thread) alike? Or even similar?

CCM is also an industry. My honest opinion is that the Gettys are a traditional stripe of CCM - just like Steve Green or Twila Paris. They are like soft rock.

While what the Gettys write is many times passed as modern hymns, their CDs sound a feel very modern. Unlike a CD from Majesty Music featuring new hymns.

christundivided said:
FSSL said:
.tim said:
I turned it up. One of the boys, who is into secular music, country, rock ... said, "I think that crosses a line"

I think country music crosses a line.

tobyMac also has "I want a Mac Daddy" on the same album. Can Christians NOT have fun?

Yes they can.... just don't call it a "ministry".....

Why does everyone feel as if they can use the name of Christ in something and then claim its a "ministry"?

Can you understand the lyrics to all of Toby Mac's songs? If you can't.... then what edification do you get from it?

Is there a universal claim to "ministry" made (or being made here)?

ALAYMAN said:
FSSL said:
My daughters introduced us to his music. ...

Chalk one up for Frag....

"CCM is from the feminization of male evangelicalism...."

;)

Them wimmin (to be) need to learn their place.

subllibrm said:

Let 'em preach!

Egalitarianism ROCKS harder than STRYPER DUDE!!!!!

Urban Dictionary

Mac
a pimp or playa or mackin on sumone to put your moves on her

d--n son ur a mak daddy

whatch me mac on dis gurl

Praise the Lord, reaching the lost.
Yep, something our Lord would want to be "IDENTIFIED" with.

When MercyMe came out with their new photos ... I said to myself ... "so that's what a ccm rock band would look like all dressed up like a ifb style ..."

MercyMe-InText01-Apr-2014.jpg

But, looks are not everything .... clearly they wouldn't be performing at most ifb churches ...

http://youtu.be/o8k40xj5Exk

.tim said:
When MercyMe came out with their new photos ... I said to myself ... "so that's what a ccm rock band would look like all dressed up like a ifb style ..."

MercyMe-InText01-Apr-2014.jpg

But, looks are not everything .... clearly they wouldn't be performing at most ifb churches ...

http://youtu.be/o8k40xj5Exk

Yep, its fun music.  As someone said earlier. 

FSSL said:
I would have said, "my sons," but God did not see fit to give me any.

Me neither. I got great sons-in-law though. One of whom is on the opposite end of this issue from me. So much for Frag's theory about young men.

.tim said:
CCM is also an industry. My honest opinion is that the Gettys are a traditional stripe of CCM - just like Steve Green or Twila Paris. They are like soft rock.

While what the Gettys write is many times passed as modern hymns, their CDs sound a feel very modern. Unlike a CD from Majesty Music featuring new hymns.

Well that clears thing up, not one bit.

ALAYMAN said:
subllibrm said:

Let 'em preach!

Egalitarianism ROCKS harder than STRYPER DUDE!!!!!

I wouldn't know. Totally complimentarian in my home!