We Know a Lot About the Ancient Romans....

aleshanee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
i suscribe to this guys youtube channel... and while some of his stuff comes off as a
little weird.... he;s actually a very good ancient historian... his primary field of
interest is archaeology and ancient stone works.......

the ruination of nations by runaway inflation.. has been happening since the
dawn of civilation.... ..u.s. politicians should learn from romes mistakes....

Last edited:
Learn - copy. What's the difference? :D
true.... at least no difference where government and democrats are concerned....;) ..... and i admit it;s kind of a monotonous video... . but what i found interesting in it was the way rome debased the actual value of it;s official coins below what their face value was by mixing cheaper metals in with the gold and silver..... the effect it had on roman citizens was to destory their faith in their countries economy...... .. and yet knowing that had happened in rome, the united states started doing the exact same thing with it;s own coinage in 1965... (under democrats)... ......... ...i never understood the concept of inflation until my dad showed me some old coins from pre-1964... and compared them to modern coins made after - 64 ..which in the following decades had a copper billet in the middle of them.... but now have a zinc billet due to the price of copper.... and explained how their face value was inflated beyond their actual worth.... ...that;s when it dawned on me what inflation actually was.... .. ......ok.... so it takes me longer than most to get a grasp on some concepts....:confused: . ..

but .... on a side note.... the video sort of helped me understand why all the ancient roman coins i have collected... which were minted prior to the birth of Christ... even when combined... don;t equal the value of even one of the sliver pieces of eight i have that were salvaged from a spanish ship that sunk in the 1500s..... they are all silver on the outside.... but only the pieces of 8 are silver to their core.... ...so... .even though the combined weight of the roman coins is more than the weight of a single piece of 8... ...and they are older with more history behind them..... their silver content is lower overall than a piece of 8 ??? .... not necessarily.. .... ..but then that;s not all there is to the reason why one is more valuable issue either... ...many other complicated factors come into play... .........

like i said it only sort of helped me understand.... ..... ... a single clovis spear point made of flint... (a rock for all practical purposes).... would be worth more than all of those coins combined.. .. roman and spanish alike.... ..but finding an intact clovis point today is like finding the holy grail.... i know how to knapp flint into arrowheads and spearpoints and i have tried to make a replica clovis point but they are not only the rarest of all neolithics they are also the hardest to make..... it might be easier to make a replica roman coin... ..or a spanish piece of 8... .. ...

Last edited:
Cool stuff aleshanee!

thanks.... :) ..... the roman coins i have were all obtained through biblical archaeology
magazine.. back when getting them was easier and a lot less expensive.... we still get
the magazine but i haven;t seen them offer any ancient coins in a long time.... the
spanish pieces of 8 came from a salvaged spanish shipwreck.... but they were in
the family long before i was.... ;)

Last edited:
Were the spanish pieces of 8 salvage by D6?

these are some of the oldest spanish pieces of eight... (or eight reale).. silver coins i have .... .(some of the lot my
dads dive buddy gave to him)
.. .this kind was minted in the new world.. close to where the silver was mined... and
struck on each side with the official seals of the spanish crown. .. each is roughly 1 ounce of pure silver... or about
28 grams.... they were salvaged from a ship that sank on it;s way to spain from mexico in the late 1500s... but this
kind of raw coinage was also used all through the americas as early colonists were prohibited from minting coins of
their own... that;s all i can rmember about it at the moment... i have to dig into my file box for the papers to
remember the name of the ship and the actual dates...... but i have it in there somewhere...:)

IMG_0234_zps9cb0adad.jpg

IMG_0233_zpsc1919ea1.jpg

Last edited:
these are some of the oldest spanish pieces of eight... (or eight reale).. silver coins i have .... .(some of the lot my
.. .this kind was minted in the new world.. close to where the silver was mined... and
struck on each side with the official seals of the spanish crown. .. each is roughly 1 ounce of pure silver... or about
28 grams.... they were salvaged from a ship that sank on it;s way to spain from mexico in the late 1500s... but this
kind of raw coinage was also used all through the americas as early colonists were prohibited from minting coins of
their own... that;s all i can rmember about it at the moment... i have to dig into my file box for the papers to
remember the name of the ship and the actual dates...... but i have it in there somewhere...:)

View attachment 2589

View attachment 2590
Pretty cool.

View attachment 2589

View attachment 2590
Thought you might like this...

Thought you might like this...

thanks.. ..i love stories like this... ... it not only shows how close history can be right beneath our feet....
but unfortunately it also reveals a disturbing characteristic of the legacy news media..... ...i wonder how
many people saw the picture attached and thought - "wow!.. the badger found a broken pot full of gold
coins... like the end of the rainbow?"... ... :D .... the news media tricked us with that....i thought the
same thing when i saw it and was ready to nickname the badger leprechan... .. but what the badger
actually found is what is shown in the guys hand in the picture below.... .. regular roman coins made
of bronze and other mixed metals... no less valuable than gold to historians and people who love learning
the stories those coins can tell.... but not the shiny stuff dreams are made of... .....now my second thought,
.. was.. ... did the badger find anything to eat?....;)

badger-unearths-roman-coins-678x381.jpg

a good video on history that can be learned from coins... by both metalic composition
and also images depicted on them... . in the early 5th century during the reign of the
emperor theodosius 2 - a christian cross appeared on a roman coin for the first time...

this is interesting because just a few years prior to that christians were still being
persecuted by rome.... ..the appearance of the first christian symbol on a roman
coin also coincided with a return to gold coinage after decades of debasing roman
coinage and rampant inflation.. .. were those 2 things connected?... ..

Last edited: