We Know a Lot About the Ancient Romans....

so.... is it a sin for a man to have long hair?...... today many christians use 1st corinthians 13
to say yes it is... but i know others who say they take that out of context and misquote paul
in a section of scripture where he
was speaking from preference, and according to current
customs...... roman customs....

1st corinthians 13-16
"judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? .... .doth not even nature itself
teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?....but if a woman have long hair, it is a
glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.... but if any man seem to be contentious, we have no

such custom, neither the churches of God."

whether you believe paul was giving his own prefernce or a command of God.... ancient rome
had
quite an obsession with hair..... especially among the elite.....

so is this really what music in ancient rome sounded like?..... .the composer...
adrian von zieglar creates a lot of period based and culturally based music..
he says it would be something appropriate for a movie based on rome, because
it uses some of the same musical instruments rome had access to.... but then
it also uses a few modern types as well.... i have it playing on endless loop
through noise cancelling headphones right now.. ..🎧 😎

similar government and political mistakes.. are not the only parallels our modern western
society has with ancient rome.... the quest for new technology was one of them....

so apparently... this is what the music of ancient rome really sounded like... or at
least one version of it
.. i;m not sure how they know this... the instruments used
in this are authentic enough... but did ancient rome leave sheet music behind with
notes and bars on it?... 🎼 .. ..hmmmm . :unsure:..i really don;t know.. and i actually
have been looking for answers....but anyway... it;s kinda basic.. and actually kinda
boring.... but here it is.... music to sit around and feed each other grapes to in
ancient rome...🍇. ..or was it figs?... still looking for that too.. :cool:

so.... after the wealthiest of the romans got their personal aqueducts flowing and got
their baths and fountains started up... they could celebrate by throwing lavish parties..
this piece of music is made using the same instruments romans would have had.. ..
..it seems like it could fit into the atmosphere of a decadent roman convivium.. 🍇..

many roads and highways in europe follow the paths of ancient roman roads.... and
in a few places the original surfaces of those roman roads are either still visible or
still being used... ...but there were also many roman roads that were lost to history
..some were rerouted in later centuries, and the original road became buried under
farmland.... ..aerial surveys done today can locate evidence of where those ancient
roads were.....

and i apologize that the video is in spanish... ... but it does have english subtitles for those who don;t habla... ✍️

and in case you are interested... . there are 4 others videos at present, made before this one
that discuss roman roads visible from the air and their historical signifiance... . they are all
on this same youtube channel... ....very interesting stuff for those of us who love ancient

roman history... .and why the big interest?..... well.... rome played an important part in
the history of early christianity.. early christians and apostles lived in that era and that
culture.... understanding those times helps us understand the people we read about in
scripture better...:)..

Last edited:
so.... was the movie "gladiator" historically accurate?.... ..partly yes.... but mostly no
.. and yet some of the main characters in it were based on real people whose personal
histories were far more weird and more complicated than anything hollywood could
have re-created for the screen....

what would it cost in todays dollars to build the roman coloseum?... estimates vary
..but most all agree that with the same materials... but using modern construction
methods the roman coloseum could be built for far less than it actually cost to
build 1900 years ago.... ...

7f9696d84d1b4392adf6dd22b0d5a1a8.jpeg

84121063.jpeg

Last edited:
[..but most all agree that with the same materials... but using modern construction
methods the roman coloseum could be built for far less than it actually cost to
build 1900 years ago.... ...
Perhaps. But do it the other way around: use ancient methods, but pay the construction workers an average wage in today's dollars. The Colosseum took ten years to build. I'll bet that in labour expenses alone, the cost of the building would be through the stratosphere.

Perhaps. But do it the other way around: use ancient methods, but pay the construction workers an average wage in today's dollars. The Colosseum took ten years to build. I'll bet that in labour expenses alone, the cost of the building would be through the stratosphere.

one thing i didn;t see in the video.... or might have missed if it was in there.... was how many workers died or were killed in accidents while the coloseum was under construction..... i;m not sure if the romans even kept records of that kind of thing.... .....but we all know ancient contruction methods were not nearly as safe as construction methods are today... and yet even today construction workers still die in accidents or from exposure to occupational hazards....... just not as frequently..... .. and ...unlike in ancient times... when construction workers die on the job today, law suits are filed and settlements must be paid....... ..death on the job is not nearly as well accepted as it was in ancient times.....

so yes..... you are right... the cost of building the coloseum today using the old ancient methods would be through the stratosphere....at least until the lawsuits from the number of deaths and injuries caused constructon of it to be shut down..... ......

plus the other thing i was wondering.... if the coloseum was built today... and actually completed.... regardless of which method was used..... would construction workers and contractors today be able to build something that would last as long as the coloseum in rome has lasted?...... 1900 + years?.... .in construction of anything quality generally depends on a workers attention to detail... how much attention to detail are they willing to pay?.... and is the potential buyer willing to pay what all that attention to detail is worth?....... ... we all know the ancient romans were meticulous about that 2000 years ago.... but would modern workers take short cuts?...... perform sloppy work?..... ....

beer is not something i would have never associated with ancient rome... but apparently
it was there... which made me wonder if non-drinkers like me, in ancient rome, were as
nauseated and sickened by people with beer breath as i am.... learning too much about
some of these ancient societies can really ruin some of the pleasant illusions we have
about them...... :cautious:

this video was originally titled how the barbarian and germanic wars helped bring down
the roman empire.... i don;t know why they changed the title of it... but the video
is exactly the same..... still very interesting....

Last edited: