We Know a Lot About the Ancient Romans....

earthquakes in ancient rome...

according to historians events like the recent earthquake in turkey have happened

many times before.. in the same part of the world.. and sometimes with a greater
magnitude than the recent event.......early christians, including the apostle paul
were undoubtably there.. and witnessed some of these events..

caution and warning.... there is an ancient painting shown briefly in this
video around the 1;49 mark that contains nudity... please scroll past that
section
of the video if you are offended.... the rest of the video seems ok..

202bc64f0fc16c7b75793476cfe1459a.png

65695383703_3-1.jpeg

there is an excellent youtube channel operated by a professor of history that examines
places around europe and the mediteranean where roman roads and the ruins of ancient
roman buildings are literally sitting under the feet of modern europeans and under the
structures of the buildings.... ... the videos are on the level of a college lecture and
very educational.... . however i don;t post them here because they are all in spanish....

this channel which does all it;s videos in english is not nearly as good as the spanish one
but it still covers some of the same material.... ..i find these kinds of studies fascinating
.. ..because in part they show that inspite of all our modern technology we might not be
the most technically advanced generation in history... in fact..much of what our modern
engineers and techno-wizards do today is nothing more than rebuilding new things on top
of old foundations they would have no idea how to recreate or establish again today.....

so... let;s say you are an early christian.. and you are trying to escape a roman
army in hot pursuit...(foot soldiers only.. no horses)........ we have all seen the
movies where roman soldiers in full armor and carrying javelins.. (or pilum spear)
.... throw their spear.. and on screen they make it look like that thing flies for a mile

but how far could a roman soldier really throw a javelin?.... ... more importantly -
if you are running away from them how far ahead would have to stay in order to
be safely out of range?

romanpilumthrow.jpeg

what if rome had fallen 200 years before it did?... would the world we live in today
be different?...... how would the history of europe and the english speaking world
be effected?.... and would the spread of christianity have taken a different route?....

warning... some images may offensive.....as roman and greek art frequently depicts nudity and fundamentalists
didn;t find all of them in time to knock the offensive parts off ... apologies offered in advance...

Caesarea - Israel's Most Impressive Roman Ruin

and... the part ancient caesarea played in the spread of christianity...

...(this is a relatively new youtube channel...so far it has good content -

just not much of it yet..... but i like the way he puts his videos together)

26dc2e1325a2634a975fe72a3ce2775d.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW! I really like this thread. I just watched the video on Cesarea and will watch the others. It'll take me some time because I'm going to savor such things. I remember reading about Cesarea (I think) and also Antioch in the Bible. Thanks for this thread.

WOW! I really like this thread. I just watched the video on Cesarea and will watch the others. It'll take me some time because I'm going to savor such things. I remember reading about Cesarea (I think) and also Antioch in the Bible. Thanks for this thread.

you are very welcome... :)... i love this subject... specifically the study of roman roads and ancient buildings that are still in use today ...and places where signs of where they use to be are still visible.... .. some of the best videos on it.. (in my opinion)... are done by a professor of archeaology in spain... isaac moreno gallo... .. his are instructional type videos with good photgraphs and a classroom lecture type of narrative.... . but i don;t put many of his videos up here because they are mostly in spanish

you are very welcome... :)... i love this subject... specifically the study of roman roads and ancient buildings that are still in use today ...and places where signs of where they use to be are still visible.... .. some of the best videos on it.. (in my opinion)... are done by a professor of archeaology in spain... isaac moreno gallo... .. his are instructional type videos with good photgraphs and a classroom lecture type of narrative.... . but i don;t put many of his videos up here because they are mostly in spanish

I don't want to ALARM you, Aleshanee, but I've noticed that you and I are alot alike as far as our likes and dislikes. I L.O.V.E. anything OLD. I also, am fascinated by "ancient buildings" and especially those that are in use today and WHERE they are. Do send me info where to see Isaac moreno gallo's videos. I have a friend from India that told me there are many ancient buildings there that are in use. He even told me how they got AC in those buildings (sort of) thousands of years ago.
I've often wondered just WHAT the buildings were like during the time of Christ. I think during that time, there were elaborate buildings and not just huts.

I don't want to ALARM you, Aleshanee, but I've noticed that you and I are alot alike as far as our likes and dislikes. I L.O.V.E. anything OLD. I also, am fascinated by "ancient buildings" and especially those that are in use today and WHERE they are. Do send me info where to see Isaac moreno gallo's videos. I have a friend from India that told me there are many ancient buildings there that are in use. He even told me how they got AC in those buildings (sort of) thousands of years ago.
I've often wondered just WHAT the buildings were like during the time of Christ. I think during that time, there were elaborate buildings and not just huts.
here is the youtube website for isaac moreno gallo...

his main focus is the technology romans used to build these roads and structures.. and how they have lasted 2000 years or more.... that;s another of my favorite things to study - ancient technology.... mostly as it pertains to the ancient archery technology... and the english longbow.... .even the ancient surgery methods developed by romans then forgotten for 1000 years by medieval europe - only to be revived by the english during the 100 years wars.... ...

i am not alarmed that we might some of the same interests... especially ancient buildings and ancient rome.... ...but several forum members of the past were alarmed at some of my other interests.... . such as spanish rejoneadora bullfighting... bull fighting in general... .predator hunting - (specifically coyote hunting). ...even the wild pig hunting we do and the stories i use to post about the hunts....... it will probably never happen but i would love to hunt coyotes someday.... (no coyotes in hawaii)... i wouldn;t even attempt to get on a horse and fight a bull from horseback.... but i always wanted to attend the events... . and international rugby 7s.. especially the womens division....was something else i always wished i could have done.. ... we watch all the rugby 7s games every season and some of the bullfights too on the foreign channels.. .... i posted links to a few of the videos of them... ....

it;s encouraging to me that more people are becoming fans of womens college softball.... one of my room mates played in college.. but unfortunately her team and alma mater ucla already lost this year... . so she;s joining me in pulling for the florida state seminoles against oklahoma in the national championships this afternoon...

this is from the issac moreno gallo channel.... and was just published today....
......surprisingly it;s translated into english... they don;t usually do that...
but i always try to post them here when they do..... :)

no naration in this video.... just aerial shots of places where the evidence of ancient
roman camps and towns once were... for centuries farmers and other people noticed
these strange lines and shapes appear in their fields during certain times of the years,
.. but had no idea why they were there... they are in fact disturbances in the soil from

where the foundations of massive walls once stood.... not quite as easy to see are also
the shapes of where buildings were placed inside the outlines of the walls.....

the actual locations of these finds are kept secret to protect them from the digging and
looting that would undoubtably take place if modern day treasure hunters and amatuer
archaologists knew where they were......

Last edited:
i found this video especially fascinating because he is talking about rock walled
salt water ponds built by the ancient romans for fish farming.... the one he is
standing by is a well preserved example of such a pond... .. the thing i found
most intersting about it is we have ancient rock salt water fish ponds in hawaii
too - that were built by the ancient hawaiians.. and they are still in use today....

some of them were known to be built by the first hawaiians to come here and
others are claimed to have been here already... the ancient hawaiians claimed

a small statured people called the menehune built them... who they claim fled
into the mountains and disappeared when the much larger and stronger
hawaiians came.... ....

SUCH talent! I wonder how long it took them to lay those mosaics.

SUCH talent! I wonder how long it took them to lay those mosaics.
that would be interesting to know..... from what they have discovered the floor was there before the church was even built.... ..i am looking for a way to post another link to those videos without imbedding them.... ... after the recent debaucle over a video of a trump speech where he said a few bad words.. i decided to delete the imbedded videos of the mosiac floor.... but thankfully those of you who already have the link to told in stones youtube channel know where it is..... . that guy is a great archaeologist and his studies are very educational.....

but for now here a link to his channel that has those 2 plus his other scenic route videos....

and this is his original told in stone channel...

Last edited:
a very interesting video on feral pidgeons in ancient rome...🕊️ . but it didn;t convince
me... . .i still hate the things... .on this island they are little more than winged rats....
just one step above a feral cat in my book.. but if we could train them to carry messages
between the islands i might change my mind.....📨