What are you now?

One who follows the Way?

rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
...still IFB b/c I strongly believe in each of the words for which those initials stand.

Independent - just like all the other independent baptist churches who send their kids to the to the same schools, host the conferences, read the same books, have the same extra-biblical doctrines, fall over themselves about the same leaders...

This is rather a cheap shot.  Tom Brennan has clearly and publicly repudiated those sections of the IFB movement that exalt men and that preach personal opinion over the Scriptures.

An independent movement?

Walt said:
rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
...still IFB b/c I strongly believe in each of the words for which those initials stand.

Independent - just like all the other independent baptist churches who send their kids to the to the same schools, host the conferences, read the same books, have the same extra-biblical doctrines, fall over themselves about the same leaders...

This is rather a cheap shot.  Tom Brennan has clearly and publicly repudiated those sections of the IFB movement that exalt men and that preach personal opinion over the Scriptures.

Walt, you forget that a scorner must scorn just because he is a scorner.

Funny how the I in IFB is exalted.

I'll stick with the words of Paul: "There is one body..."

RAIDER said:
rsc2a said:
I consider myself to be Christian.

By the Biblical definition of that word you could have all of us fooled!

Now this made me laugh! It was funny!

fishinnut said:
BALAAM said:
fishinnut said:
A few week ago I ran into an old preacher friend who I had not seen in years at my work place. Of course, as an good IFBX preacher does any time I run into one, he asked the obligatory question, "So where are you now brother?" As usual I give my dead-pan face & smart-alec answer, "I'm right here." What they always mean is WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO CHURCH?

I told him I no longer attend a IFB church but rather a NON-DOM church that is totally casual in dress, contemporary in music, expository in preaching where people get saved all the time. His reaction was classic. First he got red in the face, then his pulpit pounding hand started trying to find a non-existent pulpit as he started getting into a preaching mode telling me he NEVER had a reason to look outside of the IFB movement. I told him that if that was where he wanted to be I was good with that & not fighting it.

Just today he came into my work place again, in a dress short sleeved white shirt & tie on & hands me a CD with a sermon by Bob Grey that Bob recently preached in this guy's church. I kindly thanked him for thinking of me with such kind gesture. I joked with him saying, "Bob always big on sermon titles!"

I knew from the moment he gave the CD to me..........what he was doing (attempting to get me RIGHT WITH GOD). I listened to about 10 minutes of the sermon entitled, Odd man out. It started off with his favorite IFBX stars, Rice, Roberson, Roloff, Jack Fraiser-you-know-who, Malone, Hatch etc who he had had preach for him & with whom he had preached in his 43 years of ministry. ALL.......who in their field were the "odd man out"............I guess in his mind the outstanding men......including himself.

So to the the subject of this thread I'll claim the title........odd man out..............but out of the IFBX & glad of it.

Bye-Bye Bob........ ;)

If anyone wants the CD send a stamped self addressed padded envelope to:
Odd Man Out
Loving Jesus & Others Pky
The Hills of Freedom, USA

If I had only one reason to disassociate myself from ifbxdom it would be Bob Gray.
I was doing some driving today so I listened to the rest of the sermon. He was doing a JH type of conference rant which hit all the IFBX hot-buttons:
KJV,
Bob,
Heros of IFB himself included,
Bob,
Preachin', foot-stompin' & pulpit pounding against sin...........or in this case several pot-shots at women for wearing pants ever, & mini-skirts,
Bob.
Criticism  of the MOG,
Bob,
Numbers.....his own,
Numbers.....of the giga-churches (running over 20,000 & why they cannot be doing church right, which includes Bible versions used (he said the pastor of FBC, ATL uses the NIV...sorry Bob but get your facts straight before your criticism of other MOG) music used, 3 to thrice or not, "grace preachin' whatever that is", dress type & others of his preferences.
Bob,
He also said, " Back in the 70's the Beatles brought rock & roll & long hair to America."
Oh.....& about 5-8 minutes of an OT text that he used as a springboard for his preachin' about nt churches.

I

This post has me confused. How is this message any different than any other of Bob's messages except for the title and a few different stories>?

BALAAM said:
fishinnut said:
BALAAM said:
fishinnut said:
A few week ago I ran into an old preacher friend who I had not seen in years at my work place. Of course, as an good IFBX preacher does any time I run into one, he asked the obligatory question, "So where are you now brother?" As usual I give my dead-pan face & smart-alec answer, "I'm right here." What they always mean is WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO CHURCH?

I told him I no longer attend a IFB church but rather a NON-DOM church that is totally casual in dress, contemporary in music, expository in preaching where people get saved all the time. His reaction was classic. First he got red in the face, then his pulpit pounding hand started trying to find a non-existent pulpit as he started getting into a preaching mode telling me he NEVER had a reason to look outside of the IFB movement. I told him that if that was where he wanted to be I was good with that & not fighting it.

Just today he came into my work place again, in a dress short sleeved white shirt & tie on & hands me a CD with a sermon by Bob Grey that Bob recently preached in this guy's church. I kindly thanked him for thinking of me with such kind gesture. I joked with him saying, "Bob always big on sermon titles!"

I knew from the moment he gave the CD to me..........what he was doing (attempting to get me RIGHT WITH GOD). I listened to about 10 minutes of the sermon entitled, Odd man out. It started off with his favorite IFBX stars, Rice, Roberson, Roloff, Jack Fraiser-you-know-who, Malone, Hatch etc who he had had preach for him & with whom he had preached in his 43 years of ministry. ALL.......who in their field were the "odd man out"............I guess in his mind the outstanding men......including himself.

So to the the subject of this thread I'll claim the title........odd man out..............but out of the IFBX & glad of it.

Bye-Bye Bob........ ;)

Odd Man Out

If I had only one reason to disassociate myself from ifbxdom it would be Bob Gray.
I was doing some driving today so I listened to the rest of the sermon. He was doing a JH type of conference rant which hit all the IFBX hot-buttons:
KJV,
Bob,
Bob,
Preachin', foot-stompin' & pulpit pounding against sin...........or in this case several pot-shots at women for wearing pants ever, & mini-skirts,
Bob.
Criticism  of the MOG,
Bob,
Numbers.....his own,
Numbers.....of the giga-churches (running over 20,000 & why they cannot be doing church right, which includes Bible versions used (he said the pastor of FBC, ATL uses the NIV...sorry Bob but get your facts straight before your criticism of other MOG) music used, 3 to thrice or not, "grace preachin' whatever that is", dress type & others of his preferences.
Bob,
He also said, " Back in the 70's the Beatles brought rock & roll & long hair to America."
Oh.....& about 5-8 minutes of an OT text that he used as a springboard for his preachin' about nt churches.

I

This post has me confused. How is this message any different than any other of Bob's messages except for the title and a few different stories>?

Bob actually tried expository sermons for a while but found he couldn't preach on britches, kjv, evangelism, hell, etc. every other message so he had to give it up. That is why he is so against it. (adapted from lloyd the legalist)

fishinnut said:
BALAAM said:
fishinnut said:

Bye-Bye Bob........ ;)

Odd Man Out

KJV,
Bob,
Bob,
Bob.
Criticism  of the MOG,
Bob,
Numbers.....his own,
Bob,

I

If you got that joy joy joy joy or you are happy and you know it, please don't clap your hands or stamp your feet. It will put you on that slippery slope to contemporary worship!  (lloyd the legalist inspired)

I am a Bible-believing Baptist who tries to follow her Saviour in her daily life.

Some would label me as IFB; others would call me IFBx.  Neither label bothers me.

Still IFB.  Bible-believing, KJV, hymn-singing.

A lot of years have passed and I've dropped the man-worship and learned to preach the Bible.  Growth has never caused me to leave my roots, because I believe that my roots are still Bible based.

BiblePreacher said:

A lot of years have passed and I've dropped the man-worship and learned to preach the Bible.  Growth has never caused me to leave my roots, because I believe that my roots are still Bible based.

Are you looking to make people..... like Jesus.... or are you looking to make them a chip off the old block?

Jesus isn't KJVO and He readily accepts worship from believers that aren't singing "hymns".

BiblePreacher said:

I believe most of the same key doctrine, sing the same hymns, use the same version and practice the same evangelism as my roots. 

However, I grew up at FBC HAC.  My roots groomed me for molestation and even made a pass or two at me.  My roots condoned sexual misconduct.  My roots praised child-rapists as great men of God and referred them to the pastorate.  My roots sought to silence victims of sexual abuse, even their own daughters, for the sake of their ministry.  My roots told victims of spousal abuse that the abuse was their own fault.  My roots loved their co-workers and bus kids more than their spouse and own kids.  My roots taught me to NOT care for my own, but rather my ministry. 

Hence, I am not my roots.  I do not wish to be associated with that group.

BALAAM said:
fishinnut said:
BALAAM said:
fishinnut said:

Bye-Bye Bob........ ;)

Odd Man Out

KJV,
Bob,
Bob,
Bob.
Criticism  of the MOG,
Bob,
Numbers.....his own,
Bob,
Oh.....& about 5-8 minutes of an OT text that he used as a springboard for his preachin' about NT churches.

I

I hadn't heard any of Bob's preachin' in many years.....mostly heard what you had reported. So, I thought I'd do a little reporting myself. I did not believe half of the stories he told. He was inaccurate in another illustration. But from the crowd to which he was speaking he drew a lot of Amens..........but of course he told them "You'd better say Amen!"

I was invited to the meeting where this was preached but mowed my lawn instead. I remember a statement he made years ago at HAC. "I wouldn't walk across the street to hear (unnamed CCM singer) her grunt." Well after enduring Bob's ranting, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear him either.

I am a Bible-believing Christian that happens to attend a Baptist church. Not because I feel like that is the only choice, but because that is where God led us.

I now proclaim the name ofChrist instead of Hyles, Rice, Roloff and their pals.

Binaca Chugger said:
I now proclaim the name ofChrist instead of Hyles, Rice, Roloff and their pals.

I'd say that is rather odd no matter where you look. :)