What Did You Like About Hyles Anderson

I like the fact that I received very good training to be a teacher.

I like the understanding that God used my time at HAC to present a display of the misery and destruction of a self-willed life.

I really liked those people who did not understand all of the junk going on and really thought they were in utopia.  Their innocence was refreshing.  These HACkers had a real desire to serve God and were busily preparing for that service.  I enjoyed their company.

I liked meeting kids who were from Tom Neal's church.  It encouraged me to know that I was not in the craziest place on earth.  ;)

I liked my Sunday School teachers.  Most of them I still remember.  Some of them, if I ever meet, I will need to apologize.  They were good men who really wanted to teach the Bible to church kids and teens.  In all of my life, I have received ONE pastoral visit in the home.  It was a Sunday School teacher who was coming to greet me as I was about to move up into his class - I believe it was second grade.  I never forgot how special that made me feel and would continue to visit church kids in their home when I was a Sunday School teacher.  I wanted the church kids to know they were loved by someone at church, just like the bus kids were loved by their bus workers.

You see, HACkers?  Even though HAC was a stinkin' cesspool filled with manipulative, power hungry bullies, God changed many of our lives during our years there.  Instead of reading how God worked in our lives, all you "liked" was your friends.  Maybe you didn't get out of the place what you were expecting when you went?

Binaca Chugger said:
I have waited a while to see what the response on this thread would be.  I have really been surprised.  A couple of "likes" for one staff member that was nice or really skilled.  One person "liked" the training he received and is now pastoring.  The overwhelming majority of people simply "liked" the fact that they made friends and met a spouse.  Sadly, I believe the same could be said of most any social grouping of young adults.  How is this any different from the exact same "likes" someone would have for a workplace, internet sites, or secular university?  I was really expecting more about God changing the heart of individuals and life learnings that would motivate people into full time service. 

Shocking.

A girl from our church went to Crown, she had made the comment that it was like going to Youth Conference! That would be an expensive Youth Conference!!  I have talked to my girls about their college, but mainly they talk about how the college prepared them for their current jobs. While they appreciate the forever friends they made, it is the education that they are thankful for.

The thing I liked the most about HAC is this young lady!

DSC09128_edited.jpg

Smellin Coffee said:

DSC09128_edited.jpg

On a beach with a coat!  You stinkin' Hacker!!!

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

DSC09128_edited.jpg

Yah, but if that was taken on Lake Michigan recently those are ice caps in the background.

You need a good coat so you don't freeze to death.

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

DSC09128_edited.jpg

Yah, but if that was taken on Lake Michigan recently those are ice caps in the background.

You need a good coat so you don't freeze to death.

A true Hacker would not be caught dead at the beach.

check out this SBC preacher & his beach ministry
http://www.bpnews.net/13848/surfing-preacher-plants-church-in-sandy-beach 

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

DSC09128_edited.jpg

Yep! I couldn't make it to the HAC pond so I had to go to the Outer Banks of NC instead.  :p