What Is A Standard?

Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:
Well, I thought maybe it would be ur position at ur church, I was wrong. Thanks!

We require our female SS teachers to wear skirts/dresses while teaching but we have no requirement in that area outside of that context.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!! 

Sorry, that's just so stupid it's funny. 

Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:
Well, I thought maybe it would be ur position at ur church, I was wrong. Thanks!

We require our female SS teachers to wear skirts/dresses while teaching but we have no requirement in that area outside of that context.

And what is your reason for this asinine rule?

rsc2a said:

You have a sincere question I will answer it.

...but you don't.

Tom Brennan said:
rsc2a said:

You have a sincere question I will answer it.

...but you don't.
It was most definitely sincere.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:

I'm a bishop (contrary to what Prophet thinks) of/at the assembly. I'm not a dictator away from the assembly.

Not that what I think matters, but can live with this.

rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:

I'm curious, too.  And do you forbid them to braid their hair and check to make sure they didn't pay a lot of money for their clothes?

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:

I'm curious, too.  And do you forbid them to braid their hair and check to make sure they didn't pay a lot of money for their clothes?

Bump.

I'd love to get the answers.

Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:

I'm a bishop (contrary to what Prophet thinks) of/at the assembly. I'm not a dictator away from the assembly.

The company that I work for is going to uniformity next month. Those who work in the plant have already been assigned uniforms but those of us in the office will be required to wear company issued clothing while at work. There is some diversity as they are polo shirts, khakis, etc. but all must comply with how the office presents itself.

That being said, though I wouldn't make such a rule if I were a pastor, I understand the desire for a form of uniformity because of representation. I have more issues with demanding attire to be representative by those while 'off the clock' or they cannot be involved (which you admit is not something you do).

Though I disagree with the idea that the church should be an organization/corporation, for those churches that regulate themselves like that, I understand needing corporate rules to promote a representative uniformity to the general public. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:

I don't see where Tom said his standard was necessarily biblical in basis (at least in the specifics).

Smellin Coffee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:

I don't see where Tom said his standard was necessarily biblical in basis (at least in the specifics).

Good point.  I guess Tom is a man-made rules kinda guy.  You know, like the Pharisees.  Maybe that's why he won't answer the question.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Smellin Coffee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:

Good point.  I guess Tom is a man-made rules kinda guy.  You know, like the Pharisees.  Maybe that's why he won't answer the question.

The issue is that of corporation/organization. Churches that operate as a corporate organization need to have rules, and they not necessarily biblical in nature. For example, don't stuff things down the commode. Don't pull the fire alarms. Don't have food or drink in the sanctuary. Don't park in the grass. etc. There is nothing wrong with a corporate model having non-biblical rules in an organizational effort.

However, those rules probably wouldn't be necessary in a home-church environment. And without a Sunday School class and typical performance-styled teaching, things like a dress code for SS teachers would be a moot point.

Smellin Coffee said:
The issue is that of corporation/organization. Churches that operate as a corporate organization need to have rules, and they not necessarily biblical in nature. For example, don't stuff things down the commode. Don't pull the fire alarms. Don't have food or drink in the sanctuary. Don't park in the grass. etc. There is nothing wrong with a corporate model having non-biblical rules in an organizational effort.

However, those rules probably wouldn't be necessary in a home-church environment. And without a Sunday School class and typical performance-styled teaching, things like a dress code for SS teachers would be a moot point.

The problem with your explanation is that all the other rules you cited have practical consequences:  plugged toilets, false alarms, bug and/or rat infestations, ruining the grass, etc. 

Maybe I'm just missing the practical danger of wearing pants.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Smellin Coffee said:

The problem with your explanation is that all the other rules you cited have practical consequences:  plugged toilets, false alarms, bug and/or rat infestations, ruining the grass, etc. 

I can't speak for Tom but I think in some cases, the church is going for appearances, much like businesses do with their employee dress codes. That doesn't mean it is related to 'avoiding an appearance of evil' but rather the apparel of those in front tend to create an aura for the church congregation.

One could argue that the need for such is debatable but when we cry autonomy, we have to allow others to create their own environment, whether that be ladies wearing dresses or pastors wearing T-shirts and jeans.

I don't believe Tom's church has the rule as a matter of a sign of spirituality so I don't mind if his church has that particular dress code, even though it isn't what I would prefer. His church has a right to decorate as they see fit in an effort to create a particular environment and appearances fit that decor.

Once again, this thread is abandoning the original question to debate particular standards.  We have debated frequently particular standards.  As I have already stated, we often separate over standards.  My question for you us NOT why you choose to set a standard where you do, but how do you define a standard. 

We have proven we have standards and some don't like the standards of others.  I really believe that we must define what a standard is before we can promote or attack standards. 

So......  what is a standard?

Binaca Chugger said:
So......  what is a standard?

I said it earlier in this thread:

Standards are simply guidelines against which behavior or etiquette is governed. They vary depending on the circumstance, culture, or company.

Now if you are talking about a Christian standard, I would say that would be a cultural term, relating to a specific belief system. Hence, "guidelines against which Christian behavior or Christian etiquette is governed."

Smellin Coffee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I can't speak for Tom but I think in some cases, the church is going for appearances, much like businesses do with their employee dress codes. That doesn't mean it is related to 'avoiding an appearance of evil' but rather the apparel of those in front tend to create an aura for the church congregation.

One could argue that the need for such is debatable but when we cry autonomy, we have to allow others to create their own environment, whether that be ladies wearing dresses or pastors wearing T-shirts and jeans.

I don't believe Tom's church has the rule as a matter of a sign of spirituality so I don't mind if his church has that particular dress code, even though it isn't what I would prefer. His church has a right to decorate as they see fit in an effort to create a particular environment and appearances fit that decor.

Well, you could be right, and an answer from Tom would settle it.  But given that Pharisaical churches make an issue of women wearing pants not as a generic dress code, but as enforcement of a mis-interpretation of the OT law, I would find it a miraculous coincidence that this rule was the equivalent of a business dress code. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Smellin Coffee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Well, you could be right, and an answer from Tom would settle it.  But given that Pharisaical churches make an issue of women wearing pants not as a generic dress code, but as enforcement of a mis-interpretation of the OT law, I would find it a miraculous coincidence that this rule was the equivalent of a business dress code.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. I'm going to give Tom the benefit of the doubt until he answers. :)

JH personally told me (mid 80's before the fur hit the fan) that the subject of his conference preaching was alway going to be 2-fold.

1. soulwinning

2. standards

brainisengaged said:
Prophet wrote: A "standard" is a flag which is carried into battle.  It identifies those under it, to everyone else. We have but one standard, as followers of Christ, and that is : Him. Nowhere were we ever told to make ourselves identifiable as His, by any other means, but than by loving one another.
So, if we are to have a standard, in the NT Church, it can only be to Love one another.

Thank you for this.
"...the greatest of these is charity."  comes to mind.

Earnestly Contend

To briefly explain how our church approaches the application of standards in this area...

We have that standard because we do not believe women should be wearing pants. It has nothing to do with trying to represent a professional image. We apply this standard to those serving in active ministry such as nursery workers, greeters, teachers, the choir, etc. b/c we want to be consistent. It makes no sense for a church to say it is against something and allow people who are formally representing it to violate what our church says it is against. We limit our required application of this standard to the times in which people are formally representing our church because we don't believe we have authority to do otherwise. Every week we have women in our services who are wearing pants. We do not treat them a whit differently because of it. We apply this exact same approach to men with long hair as well.

In relation to defending the biblical reasons for these standards I have zero interest in doing that on this forum. I will be glad to do it with anybody personally over a cup of coffee. It's already been done on here a thousand times and rehashing it in this format is largely pointless in my view.