Who's who in HACindom

Teri in NC said:
I believe that many names will not even be recognized by most people. 

There are HAC graduates all over the country who just serve God in their corner of the world and have for years without hoopla and fame. They spend time ministering to their congregation and community, living modestly, witnessing daily, and preaching and teaching the Bible week after week.

I agree with 110%.

Eric at HAC was always about the show.

Nelms- he took a church that was very conservative and started changing it, slowly they lost some good people. I just think it is wrong when a Pastor comes to a church knowing how they believe and worship and change it to HIS liking.

Age will do that to you

kaba said:

Nelms- he took a church that was very conservative and started changing it, slowly they lost some good people. I just think it is wrong when a Pastor comes to a church knowing how they believe and worship and change it to HIS liking.

Age will do that to you

Many people at FBCH still feel that way about Bro. Hyles and his disagreements with most of the older people that were American Baptist leaning.

Ray Boardways parents are a good example of good Christians who did not approve of Bro. Hyles methods and left the church.

Bro. Hyles split up many of our families and I believe we are still paying the price in our young people.

Citadel of Truth said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Who, in your opinion, is the "best known" graduate of HAC?[/list]

Would this include honorary degrees?

• Who, in your opinion, is the most "successful" (ministry-wise)?

If you become the Pastor and Chancellor of your Alma Mater that might make you the most successful. John Wilkerson

• Who, in your opinion, had the most potential but turned out to be a dud? 
David Hyles

bgwilkinson said:
kaba said:

Age will do that to you

Many people at FBCH still feel that way about Bro. Hyles and his disagreements with most of the older people that were American Baptist leaning.

Ray Boardways parents are a good example of good Christians who did not approve of Bro. Hyles methods and left the church.

Bro. Hyles split up many of our families and I believe we are still paying the price in our young people.
Mabel's parents stayed, and cussed out every college student that had the misfortune of sitting in "their seat".

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Citadel of Truth said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Who, in your opinion, is the "best known" graduate of HAC?
[*]Who, in your opinion, is the most "successful" (ministry-wise)?
[*]Who, in your opinion, had the most potential but turned out to be a dud? 
[/list]

I am going to give my opinions on the above questions, but realize that I am far removed from HAC. It has been decades since I was there.

1. Because of all of the media coverage surrounding his arrest and conviction, I would have to list Jack Schaap as the "best known."

2. I'm not sure this man is a graduate, but I know he had connections to FBCH and HAC. Rick Martin, missionary to the Philippines is who I would list as the most "successful."

I would also have to vote for Rick Martin. He is a graduate & has done an amazing work in the Philippines. His school there has sent out missionaries around the world. He is also a very humble & hard working man.

I think we won't know the REAL answer to #3 until we are in Heaven.

SwampHag said:
I think we won't know the REAL answer to #3 until we are in Heaven.

With every fiber of my being, I believe your pastor and kaba's pastor will be on the #3 list.  :)

im going with Dave Nelms this summer to the northeast US....Boston, New York City among a few other places. He wants to plant hundreds of churches there in the immediate future thru his ministry.
The technical definition of an unreached people group, I am told, is that the population contains 2% or less professing evangelical Christians. According to most, the northeast US would probably qualify.

Admittedly, Im not familiar with Hylesology...but did attend Pastors School a couple of times while staying in a Holiday Inn. But, I don't understand why he is an outcast or considered less than fundamental.

As Dr Hyles used to say...I like the way I do it better than the way you don't do it. It seems to me that today, the shoe is on the other foot.

The same goes for Capaci...don't have any idea who he is outside of the forum posts and his website....but it appears to me he has a thriving ministry.

??? ???

Tarheel Baptist said:
im going with Dave Nelms this summer to the northeast US....Boston, New York City among a few other places. He wants to plant hundreds of churches there in the immediate future thru his ministry.
The technical definition of an unreached people group, I am told, is that the population contains 2% or less professing evangelical Christians. According to most, the northeast US would probably qualify.

Admittedly, Im not familiar with Hylesology...but did attend Pastors School a couple of times while staying in a Holiday Inn. But, I don't understand why he is an outcast or considered less than fundamental.

As Dr Hyles used to say...I like the way I do it better than the way you don't do it. It seems to me that today, the shoe is on the other foot.

The same goes for Capaci...don't have any idea who he is outside of the forum posts and his website....but it appears to me he has a thriving ministry.

??? ???

Not bringing up an issue of wrong or right, but I will answer your question to the best of my ability.  I don't know much about Nelms, but I will come from the Capaci angle.

Capaci started an IFB church in Hot Springs.  He is a dynamic speaker and does love people.  He built his church on many of the principles taught by HAC/FBCH.  He started a Bible college in much the same way.  He was backed by many pastors of IFB churches.  He spoke at many large IFB gatherings.  He hired many good IFB people to work at the college.  The wide majority of these people felt that they were working for a truly IFB ministry of the HAC/FBCH stripe.

After the college had been going for a few short years Capaci slowly started to change.  A few IFB pastors saw things that bothered them and quit sending their students to the college.  Staff members slowly began to leave.  Finances were tight.  It was at this time that Capaci decided to accelerate the direction he wanted to head.

Contemporary music (with full instrumentation) is now the norm.  Small groups have replaced Wednesday night church.  Small groups have now replaced Sunday School.  There are two morning services.  The evening service has been done away with except for a small group that couldn't make the morning service.  The dress standards have totally changed.  While the KJV is still used in services, there are staff members that use other versions.

Again, I am not approaching this from a "right/wrong" perspective.  That is not what this thread is about.  Many IFB pastors and their people supported and gave to Capaci's ministry.  Many sent their kids to the college believing in was an IFB college of their stripe.  Many feel betrayed by what has happened.

Is Capaci's ministry thriving?  My guess is that the school is under 100 and the church is running less than they did 5 years ago.  That is absolutely my estimate and not fact.  Capaci still loves people and preaches the Gospel.  He has just decided to take a different path on the type of church he desires.  I guess you would say he is trying to be more like Liberty and less like HAC.

This notion that people should feel "betrayed" by a Pastor who was wrong and changes to get closer to what the Bible teaches is silly.

I graduated in 2002.
I would say:
1. Schaap
2. no idea
3. From what I hear this is likely Dave Hyles

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

??? ???

Not bringing up an issue of wrong or right, but I will answer your question to the best of my ability.  I don't know much about Nelms, but I will come from the Capaci angle.

Capaci started an IFB church in Hot Springs.  He is a dynamic speaker and does love people.  He built his church on many of the principles taught by HAC/FBCH.  He started a Bible college in much the same way.  He was backed by many pastors of IFB churches.  He spoke at many large IFB gatherings.  He hired many good IFB people to work at the college.  The wide majority of these people felt that they were working for a truly IFB ministry of the HAC/FBCH stripe.

After the college had been going for a few short years Capaci slowly started to change.  A few IFB pastors saw things that bothered them and quit sending their students to the college.  Staff members slowly began to leave.  Finances were tight.  It was at this time that Capaci decided to accelerate the direction he wanted to head.

Contemporary music (with full instrumentation) is now the norm.  Small groups have replaced Wednesday night church.  Small groups have now replaced Sunday School.  There are two morning services.  The evening service has been done away with except for a small group that couldn't make the morning service.  The dress standards have totally changed.  While the KJV is still used in services, there are staff members that use other versions.

Again, I am not approaching this from a "right/wrong" perspective.  That is not what this thread is about.  Many IFB pastors and their people supported and gave to Capaci's ministry.  Many sent their kids to the college believing in was an IFB college of their stripe.  Many feel betrayed by what has happened.

Is Capaci's ministry thriving?  My guess is that the school is under 100 and the church is running less than they did 5 years ago.  That is absolutely my estimate and not fact.  Capaci still loves people and preaches the Gospel.  He has just decided to take a different path on the type of church he desires.  I guess you would say he is trying to be more like Liberty and less like HAC.

While I don't want to hijack your thread, I would say that your post IS about right and wrong....you obviously believe he has and is going in the wrong direction.

And, you say many feel betrayed by his direction.
Does that mean that any Pastor, church or school who changes direction automatically betrays someone? I would assume that to be true, following your logic.

As to his full instrumentation in music...is that wrong?
Is good, Godly music restricted to piano and organ?

Perhaps I should start a thread about this upstairs, but most who post up there don't share those unusual standards. Again, I AM NOT an IFB basher...I was an IFB Pastor for over 30 years and I truly don't 'get it'.  :)

Darkwing Duck said:
This notion that people should feel "betrayed" by a Pastor who was wrong and changes to get closer to what the Bible teaches is silly.

I graduated in 2002.
I would say:
1. Schaap
2. no idea
3. From what I hear this is likely Dave Hyles

And, sometimes the changes that betray people have nothing to do with Bible principles but philosophy and methodology of ministry.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Darkwing Duck said:

And, sometimes the changes that betray people have nothing to do with Bible principles but philosophy and methodology of ministry.
But my point is that if a pastor "changes" one would assume it's because he believes the change is right in God's eyes. So why would it matter if people feel "betrayed"?

Darkwing Duck said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Darkwing Duck said:

But my point is that if a pastor "changes" one would assume it's because he believes the change is right in God's eyes. So why would it matter if people feel "betrayed"?

"Because the pastor believes the change is right.." does not mean the change is right.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Does that mean that any Pastor, church or school who changes direction automatically betrays someone?

I believe that any pastor, if he comes to a church with a hidden agenda, whether he's moving to the right or to the left, is deceptive. The church called (hired) him based on what he portrayed himself to be. If he changes after a few years, he's done the church a disservice.

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Does that mean that any Pastor, church or school who changes direction automatically betrays someone?

I believe that any pastor, if he comes to a church with a hidden agenda, whether he's moving to the right or to the left, is deceptive. The church called (hired) him based on what he portrayed himself to be. If he changes after a few years, he's done the church a disservice.

And if a parent sends his child to the college he is expecting the college to be what is advertised.

RAIDER said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

And if a parent sends his child to the college he is expecting the college to be what is advertised.

Is any college all that is advertised?