David Hyles being sued

Starlifter, try high-lighting the link with your cursor, and it should work.

To be serious, I don't know why it's not working for you...

Remember, this is the same guy who can't log in to the FFF as 16KJV11.

His struggles are real.

Do you doubt that she was raped?
Do you doubt that Dave was a serial sexual predator enabled by his Dad?

I believe both of these, but don't know why the church should be included; in my opinion, the inclusion of FBCH weakens her case.

Walt, the idea here is that she is not suing for rape. She is suing for racketeering. She claims that both the college and the church helped cover it up in violation of federal law, and she is suing for damages.

On June 17, 2020, Dave Hyles filed a motion to dismiss all charges against him by Joy Evans Ryder. Dave referred to a previous motion filed by the church and college that claimed that 1) the statute of limitations has expired and 2) that the RICO (anti-racketeering laws) does not apply to Joy’s case.

Opinion: 1) Dave refers to a Supreme Court ruling that RICO expires four years after discovery of the crime, while a federal law states that there is not a statute of limitations if it is a sex crime against a minor.

2) The courts have consistently ruled that when there is a contradiction between the INTENT of the lawbreakers vs. what the law actually SAYS, then what the law actually says is valid. Lawmakers probably did not intend RICO to be used against churches, but if RICO allows it, it is legal.

Several times, Dave complains that Joy makes general statements about the church /college covering up crime, without naming individuals.

Opinion: That’s why she’s suing the ORGANIZATIONS, not various people within the organizations.

Dave spends a lot of time arguing that the federal laws do not apply to him, and that the statue of limitations has expired. He cites some court rulings and laws to support this claim.

Opinion: There will have to be some court rulings on contradictory laws.

Dave claims that because he did not violate all of the provisions of RICO and obstruction of justice, he cannot be prosecuted for either charge, because he did not show a pattern of violating these laws.

Opinion: Dave is not being sued for a “pattern” of rape; he is being sued for raping a specific individual.

I have so much respect for Joy, and admire her strength and grace. Out of the shadows, indeed!
I agree with you. I was around Joy during this terrible time and have no doubts that what she says is true. I do believe her parents sold her out for their gain. This should’ve been treated somewhat like the Schaap case. (I don’t believe that one was handled well)
Jack Hyles would’ve moved Heaven and Earth to shut it down and he pretty much did! There was a lot of evidence then in Joy’s favor. The pervert, the church and her parents stole her innocence. There would’ve been charges about transporting across state lines, statutory rape, church misconduct, just to name a few.
She was young and it would’ve been very difficult for her at that time. All of the staff made your life Hell if you said anything negative about anyone in power there. She suffered terribly. They still talk about not listening to gossip, but they always make sure that a third person isn’t present to overhear them gossiping! The teachers, the grade school principal (he was the WORST), and the junior high principal were big whisperers. Larry Staab was a good man who did what he could within the confines of his job, until he just couldn’t take it anymore. He did a lot of good to combat the bad behind the scenes. I have always respected him for that. I was glad that he finally left the high school, but sad because I knew what would happen after he did.
I have prayed for Joy’s truth to be rewarded through justice, but I am now resigned that only God will do the punishing, as it is with my story. I hope that Joy can take comfort in knowing that she did all she could. Dave has ruined his life. No matter where he goes, his reputation follows. I believe he did worse than rape and there is no statute of limitations on what I believe he did.
That entire family is broken because of what Jack allowed to happen so he could keep his glory. I wonder what defense he tried to give to God? He made his wife and children suffer for his career. He ruined many people who were truthful and doing right. He also disillusioned so many who came to Hammond penniless. There were no real jobs to be had that could support a family. You were to be in service every time the doors were open. There were no checks and balances. It was a circus! So many people would’ve never been victims if there had been action taken against the rotten apples and if he’d never brought the rotten apples to his church from others where they’d been discovered in their crimes. I’d never have had to suffer if Jack Hyles had just let the law do the right thing.

Joy's high school principal, Larry Staab, is still there. Jamie Lapina was in high school with Joy and sang in the same Strength and Beauty singing group. HBHS teachers from the 70's are still in the church and may still teach at HB (Sharon Lewis and Gail Merhalski). Mrs Colsten was Joy's Sunday School superintendent. JoJo Moffitt taught college courses with Mrs Evans and I'm sure that she must've heard rumors of Dave's antics. There are hundreds still there besides Johnny Colsten; the Colsten's children were under Dave Hyles tenure as youth pastor and their daughter was in the Strength and Beauty singing group with Joy, which was mentioned in the court filings.
The Colsten’s daughter, Keren, was in her mother’s singing group, Sweet 16, not Strength and Beauty.

Folks, I cannot find anything on this case since my June 17, 2020 court records. Does anyone have any information since then?

Last edited:
Lawsuits drag out over very long periods of time in between events. Also, the MeToo movement has faded away in favor of BLM.

Walt, the idea here is that she is not suing for rape. She is suing for racketeering. She claims that both the college and the church helped cover it up in violation of federal law, and she is suing for damages.

Yes, but the church is not really the same today as it was back then... it really just looks like a hope that the church will give her money to not pursue this. It was JH that pushed for the cover-up, and the 'inner circle' helped. I suspect that the multitude of the church didn't know what was going on and just took JH's word for everything.

Yes, but the church is not really the same today as it was back then... it really just looks like a hope that the church will give her money to not pursue this. It was JH that pushed for the cover-up, and the 'inner circle' helped. I suspect that the multitude of the church didn't know what was going on and just took JH's word for everything.
I might just be repeating rumors but I thought initially she was trying to get the church to cooperate in providing records on Dave and when they refused she sued them as well.

I might just be repeating rumors but I thought initially she was trying to get the church to cooperate in providing records on Dave and when they refused she sued them as well.

She was asking the church to change the way they deal with criminal behavior . I don't know if she was heard it wasn't about monies

That would be wrong, I think, since justice is based upon truth, and there is no reason for the church to be hiding records in this matter.

She was asking the church to change the way they deal with criminal behavior . I don't know if she was heard it wasn't about monies

I'm surprised that they haven't already had changes made under the current leadership.