Did Jack Hyles actually go soul winning?

Norefund said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Many illustrations were given, but they were while he was traveling or eating out.

Correct. Every illustration in his last 3 decades was that pattern. Given his penchant for making up stories to use as sermon illustrations, I believe those accounts were fictional.

Not a JH defender but I believe when I was there 75-80 there was a college student that had been in the Navy that JH led to Christ while out soul-winning in Greenville, SC. Many years ago so I would not swear by the facts but somebody else may remember also. I do not remember the name but remember the guy.

Oh, I have moved on from all things FBC. I just choose to participate in this forum and I try to ask questions as topics either come up in general or hit my tiny human brain. In this case, It is a legitimate question to ask as Jack Hyles required visitation of every HAC student, regardless of their family and work schedules and obligations. I maintain that he did not practice this himself for the last 3 decades of his life. He built an entire ministry on the concept of soul winning and he did not practice it himself for almost half of his life. He wrote a book titled "Let's Go Soulwinning"  and didn't follow his own advice for the last 3 decades of his life.

Maybe I'm the only forum member who thinks that is relevant. If so, this topic will die and we all will move on.

TidesofTruth said:
Norefund said:
Huh? We all saw him baptize and teach. Who personally saw him go out and knock on doors and try to win souls in his last three decades?

RAIDER said:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I'd say Jack Hyles did a pretty good job of this.

Well he's been dead for nearly a decade and a half so . . .

Why don't you just decide to learn from his mistakes as you see them and be fruitful on your own.  He's gone Jim.

Norefund said:
Huh? We all saw him baptize and teach. Who personally saw him go out and knock on doors and try to win souls in his last three decades?

RAIDER said:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I'd say Jack Hyles did a pretty good job of this.

Where does that verse say anything about knocking on doors?

I don't think you are addressing the question of this topic. If I'm wrong, enlighten me.

Norefund said:
I don't think you are addressing the question of this topic. If I'm wrong, enlighten me.

If I knock on a door and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I hand out a Gospel tract, I am soul winning.
If I preach the Gospel on a street corner, I am soul winning.
If I live a Godly life in front of the unsaved who know I am a Christian, I am soul winning.
If I present the Gospel while teaching my Sunday School class, I am soul winning.
If I preach a sermon and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I witness to a guy sitting next to me on a plane, I am soul winning.
If someone is in my home or office and I present the Gospel to them, I am soul winning.

So would the school be okay with required "soul-winning" taking place in the ways you described or do you only get credit for approved methods (eg knocking on doors)?

rsc2a said:
So would the school be okay with required "soul-winning" taking place in the ways you described or do you only get credit for approved methods (eg knocking on doors)?

When I was at HAC you had to go soul winning for at least an hour.  It did not have to be door-to-door.

Did being an example of Christ while at work count? Or while sitting on a plane? Or while someone was at your home? Or showing kindness to a neighbor?

Norefund said:
In another thread, the topic was the unbelievable (literally, in my opinion) hours worked by staff members and Jack Hyles was the gold standard for using every minute to serve. Curiously, I have never met a single person who was personally witnessed to by Jack Hyles. This was after attending FBC for 20 years. I don't even remember hearing anyone say they had accompanied Jack Hyles soul winning. His sermon illustrations almost always recounted stories of his witnessing to people while he was out of town and that made those people unverifiable. He might have been an avid soul winner early in his career. I just don't know that he was during the FBC period, especially later - after starting the schools and college and all.

I'm curious. Can anyone here actually verify the existence of an actual Jack Hyles soul winning experience?
Well.............there was Krincie.  ;D

Krincie?

fishinnut said:
Norefund said:
In another thread, the topic was the unbelievable (literally, in my opinion) hours worked by staff members and Jack Hyles was the gold standard for using every minute to serve. Curiously, I have never met a single person who was personally witnessed to by Jack Hyles. This was after attending FBC for 20 years. I don't even remember hearing anyone say they had accompanied Jack Hyles soul winning. His sermon illustrations almost always recounted stories of his witnessing to people while he was out of town and that made those people unverifiable. He might have been an avid soul winner early in his career. I just don't know that he was during the FBC period, especially later - after starting the schools and college and all.

I'm curious. Can anyone here actually verify the existence of an actual Jack Hyles soul winning experience?

rsc2a said:
Did being an example of Christ while at work count? Or while sitting on a plane? Or while someone was at your home? Or showing kindness to a neighbor?

Those were very much encouraged, but for the Activity Report you were to participate in "confrontational soul winning" for one hour. 

I very much agree with your take on what soulwinning is and I applaud your inclusion of being an example. That isn't what I remember hearing from Jack Hyles. He urged people to get up off the couch and go out and knock on doors. I believe he did this early in his ministry. I believe he did not for the latter half of his ministry. Why he didn't may or may not be justified.

RAIDER said:
Norefund said:

If I knock on a door and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I hand out a Gospel tract, I am soul winning.
If I preach the Gospel on a street corner, I am soul winning.
If I live a Godly life in front of the unsaved who know I am a Christian, I am soul winning.
If I present the Gospel while teaching my Sunday School class, I am soul winning.
If I preach a sermon and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I witness to a guy sitting next to me on a plane, I am soul winning.
If someone is in my home or office and I present the Gospel to them, I am soul winning.

Norefund said:
Krincie?

fishinnut said:
Norefund said:

"Hello is this Jack Lyles?"

Norefund said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Many illustrations were given, but they were while he was traveling or eating out.

Correct. Every illustration in his last 3 decades was that pattern. Given his penchant for making up stories to use as sermon illustrations, I believe those accounts were fictional.
Maybe, but that is total supposition.  Given his heart for souls in heaven to escape hell, I don't doubt them.

True. Total speculation on my part and I could be totally wrong.

Binaca Chugger said:
Norefund said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Maybe, but that is total supposition.  Given his heart for souls in heaven to escape hell, I don't doubt them.

Norefund said:

To answer your question. In the last 10 years or so of his pastorate at FBC when Bro. Hyles would win a convert to the Lord and brought him or his family to church then he would usually ask Bro. Monte Watts to sit with them and bring them down the aisle during the invitation.  Bro. Watts is an honorable man so his word is believable.

Therefore the answer to your question is yes.

Norefund said:

Oh yes, another answer to your question. Me

My senior year at HAC I had a roommate who grew up at FBC. His father and Bro. Hyles went and won his uncle to the Lord. The brothers were faithful ushers for many years and many here would recognize their names.

Usher Raymond IV?

Tennessean said:
Norefund said:

To answer your question. In the last 10 years or so of his pastorate at FBC when Bro. Hyles would win a convert to the Lord and brought him or his family to church then he would usually ask Bro. Monte Watts to sit with them and bring them down the aisle during the invitation.  Bro. Watts is an honorable man so his word is believable.

Therefore the answer to your question is yes.

Your post is the most valuable post on this thread in answer to the OP.

Norefund said:
Oh, I have moved on from all things FBC. I just choose to participate in this forum and I try to ask questions as topics either come up in general or hit my tiny human brain. In this case, It is a legitimate question to ask as Jack Hyles required visitation of every HAC student, regardless of their family and work schedules and obligations. I maintain that he did not practice this himself for the last 3 decades of his life. He built an entire ministry on the concept of soul winning and he did not practice it himself for almost half of his life. He wrote a book titled "Let's Go Soulwinning"  and didn't follow his own advice for the last 3 decades of his life.

Maybe I'm the only forum member who thinks that is relevant. If so, this topic will die and we all will move on.

No, I think it is quite relevant if he was hypocritical on this subject.  I think, to the "safe" inner circle, he explained that he had too many threats on his life to go in the FBCH areas, but claimed that he was an avid soul-winner on planes and at other times. No evidence other than JH's word, and, from my perspective, his word is not worth much.