Hylesisms

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:
If it were an isolated instance, then I guess I would agree. It was not. In every way, we were supposed to want to be like and admire JH. He had many ways of telling us this.

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:
Can you picture yourself doing that with your congregation, Tom?
It's embarrassing. And we did it. And he loved it. And we loved it.
How is that overreacting?

Jack Hyles had a sense of humor and enjoyed laughter.  Yes, there would be a goofy song or two.  There would be a comment made and the crowd would answer back.  People enjoyed that side of him.  How in the world is that embarrassing?

So this is suppose to make you want to be like and admire Jack Hyles?????

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
If you want to be like Brother Hyles in every way,
You will buffet your body,
Every day!

So that makes YOU want to be like Jack Hyles?  It actually makes you want to go to a buffet and eat every day?  You are actually that gullible?  You actually lack that much of a sense of humor?

It isn't going to make you go to a restaurant and pig out but the implication is.......BE LIKE JACK HYLES IN EVERY WAY.

It's a joke!  It's humor!!

:) ok

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
I believe you're missing something Raider.

I was there from kindergarten through 5th grade and then my family moved back to the great state of South Louisiana.   

I specifically remember an  instance in my family's car discussing reading through the entire bible.  I don't remember the entire conversation but I do remember me saying, "not even Bro. Hyles has read through the entire bible".  This mentality was forced and pushed.  I was a kid and we were heavily involved.  From Hammond Baptist schools to the Sunday schools and everything in-between.  He was set up as...........almost sinless and that was the mentality in the school system there. 

So, when a song like this is sung................well, forget it, because I don't believe you ever will understand.  It's just not good at a place like this.

You were a young kid and you thought reading through the Bible was an impossibility so you commented that even the preacher hasn't read through the entire Bible.  That could be said by any kid at any church.  Come on!

:) ok

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:
If it were an isolated instance, then I guess I would agree. It was not. In every way, we were supposed to want to be like and admire JH. He had many ways of telling us this.

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:
Can you picture yourself doing that with your congregation, Tom?
It's embarrassing. And we did it. And he loved it. And we loved it.
How is that overreacting?

Jack Hyles had a sense of humor and enjoyed laughter.  Yes, there would be a goofy song or two.  There would be a comment made and the crowd would answer back.  People enjoyed that side of him.  How in the world is that embarrassing?

So this is suppose to make you want to be like and admire Jack Hyles?????

Buffet your body,
Every day!
Buffet your body,
Every day!
If you want to be like Brother Hyles in every way,
You will buffet your body,
Every day!

I believe you're missing something Raider.

I was there from kindergarten through 5th grade and then my family moved back to the great state of South Louisiana.   

I specifically remember an  instance in my family's car discussing reading through the entire bible.  I don't remember the entire conversation but I do remember me saying, "not even Bro. Hyles has read through the entire bible".  This mentality was forced and pushed.  I was a kid and we were heavily involved.  From Hammond Baptist schools to the Sunday schools and everything in-between.  He was set up as...........almost sinless and that was the mentality in the school system there. 

So, when a song like this is sung................well, forget it, because I don't believe you ever will understand.  It's just not good at a place like this.

When you're told a person can do no wrong?

You were lied to.

You get it.

Others will always protect a certain memory that they want to relive.

Recognizing the fawning of those few and you will forgive their ignorance.

OK, people, it was all in humor... But can you imagine somebody who walked in off the street and had never been to FBCH or C for that matter. What would they think? Is this church?

Guess I'm just a grumpy old man today.

Many walked in and walked out after they saw the fa?ade.

Baptist City Holdout said:
OK, people, it was all in humor... But can you imagine somebody who walked in off the street and had never been to FBCH or C for that matter. What would they think? Is this church?

Actually, there was very little of this at church.  HAC chapel - now that's another matter.  :)

RAIDER said:

Actually, there was very little of this at church.  HAC chapel - now that's another matter.  :)

That's why I asked one poster for the year and the test was passed. Know it didn't happen while I was there. Yes, chapel, and from what I hear, the Thursday night girls meetings...... different story!

Ill at Home - not to be confused with at at the hospital, or ill at church. This was the section of the Wednesday night prayer sheet and the sick list on the radio broadcast "The Pastor's Study."

To this day, I still remember a visitor coming to fbch with a friend of mine. This friend was showing him around and I heard him say that they baptized over 10,000 people the year before. He just looked around and asked, "Where are they?"

BALAAM said:

To this day, I still remember a visitor coming to fbch with a friend of mine. This friend was showing him around and I heard him say that they baptized over 10,000 people the year before. He just looked around and asked, "Where are they?"

And today a good Hacker will say, they weren't perfect. 

Totally excusing them preaching the false doctrine of "salesmanship presentation of the gospel".

Tom Brennan said:
brainisengaged said:
It was akin to "The Emperor Has No Clothes"...

Believe it or not, that is actually a chapter title in my new book...

This book will be of GREAT help to everyone  who reads it. Tom is an EXCELLENT author, one of America's FOREMOST  authorities  on forum reason as well as one among our nation's MOST BRILLIANT minds. His writing  will be TREMENDOUSLY  helpful.

(Sorry, I just had to. ;) I totally understand about some of the commercials,  as I called  them. I usually skipped out or daydreamed, since neither a mute button nor going to the kitchen for a snack was never an option

BALAAM said:

Yep and I've been looking for them for decades.

Still haven't found them.

Bruh said:
BALAAM said:

And today a good Hacker will say, they weren't perfect. 

Totally excusing them preaching the false doctrine of "salesmanship presentation of the gospel".

but you could brag about all the notches on your  gun belt at Fisherman's Club or Phoster Club.

brainisengaged said:
Norefund said:
If you want to be like Jesus Brother Hyles in every way,

I think this is why there are so many posters ashamed of this.

Norefund, yes. You are correct, at least in my case.
I now go to a church that is very healthy. The motto is "All About Him". I've been there a year and have carefully observed it truly IS all about Him. It is not all about the Pastor, which is all I was about for the past quarter century. To my shame, a quarter century largely wasted and regrettably lost. I do think things are moving in a different direction now at FBC, but for me it is simply too late. I'm kind of like Rhett Butler, whose passion for Scarlett died. "Something inside has died and I can't hide it, I just can't fake it." :)

Well said.

This is basically true for me as well; however, it was not at FBCH, but at a church started by a graduate, who took the wrong principles of church from JH and implemented them in his church.  Everything you say here, I could say about our place.

And THIS is why it still matters, even though JH is dead -- his legacy still lives on in churches run by men that trained at his college, and are patterning the church after FBCH.

BALAAM said:

Ten lepers were healed yet only one of them returned to thank the Saviour.

I knew you were waiting for that one!  :)

Wisdom Manual:  Raider, would you like to explain this one? Or does thinking about never receiving yours bring too much pain?

Joe Combs was a Bible teacher at HAC in the late '70s into the '80s.  He was actually one of the favorites.  He wrote material for what he called The Wisdom Manual.  He had about 1/3 of the material finished.  It came in a nice padded 3-ring binder.  You could purchase The Wisdom Manual which came with all the currently available material.  You would turn in your name and address and as new sections became available they would be sent to you until you finally had the complete manual.

Needless to say, we never received any of the material.  Combs turned out to be a despicable human and is currently in prison.

I just bought Warren Weirsbe's notes. Much better writing.

Combs went to Moody and taught from Weirsbe's notes, so just buy Weirsbe's commentary and your set no more endless waiting.