IFB Authored Books

Binaca Chugger said:
the best pastors are able to use a variety of methods for proclaiming truth.

My best sermon ideas come from the idiotic comments made (by others - LOL!) on this forum.  It's an endless supply.

16KJV11 said:
I have all of them and use them.
I get disappointed, however, when he skips over  or glosses through texts that I am trying to study.

This is the problem I find with so many commentaries.  They expound page after page on "simple" texts and texts that "preach".  When it comes to the "difficult" texts they totally skip them or offer a two sentence comment that does nothing to help with the explanation.

IFB X-Files said:
Binaca Chugger said:

My best sermon ideas come from the idiotic comments made on this forum.  It's an endless supply.

Thank you for the warehouse of comments that you supply!!!:D

16KJV11 said:
IFB X-Files said:
Binaca Chugger said:

My best sermon ideas come from the idiotic comments made on this forum.  It's an endless supply.

Thank you for the warehouse of comments that you supply!!!:D

SMOKED!!!!

I think JH Melton was IFB, I have his systematic theology book on Ecclesiology.

[quote author=Binaca Chugger]IMO, the best pastors are able to use a variety of methods for proclaiming truth.[/quote]

Especially interpretive dance!

Binaca Chugger said:
Outline a chapter or even a verse.  Preach on a topic.  Do a word study.  Use a multitude of resources to compile your thoughts and ensure you are not straying from sound doctrine.

IMO, the best pastors are able to use a variety of methods for proclaiming truth.

Personally, I gravitate toward expository preaching. Though I prefer that type of preaching, I try to make sure that it is not all I do. Currently, I am preaching topically on Bible doctrines in our Wednesday night Bible study, but I am preaching through the books of 1 Corinthians (morning) and James (evening) on Sundays with interruptions in the series for special Sundays (such as Easter).

The great advantage I find in expository preaching is the authority I feel behind what I am saying. I approach each passage of Scripture with no topic in mind, study it, develop the message, and step into the pulpit with a message that has already changed my own heart, rather than something I thought the church needed. No person in our church could complain about me preaching against fornication (1 Corinthians 5) because they know I didn't decide to preach on that topic. They know that 1 Corinthians 5 was the next text we would cover no matter what the subject of it was, and I am just saying what God says (hopefully).  :D

Topical preaching is necessary, practical, and appropriate. I just could not live on a steady diet of it because I'm going to preach 156 times this year, and I can't think of 156 topics. When I first started preaching, I ran out of ideas within three months. Then, I started preaching through books. While I'm for topical preaching, I think expository preaching should be the main diet of the church.

Boomer said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Outline a chapter or even a verse.  Preach on a topic.  Do a word study.  Use a multitude of resources to compile your thoughts and ensure you are not straying from sound doctrine.

IMO, the best pastors are able to use a variety of methods for proclaiming truth.

Personally, I gravitate toward expository preaching. Though I prefer that type of preaching, I try to make sure that it is not all I do. Currently, I am preaching topically on Bible doctrines in our Wednesday night Bible study, but I am preaching through the books of 1 Corinthians (morning) and James (evening) on Sundays with interruptions in the series for special Sundays (such as Easter).

The great advantage I find in expository preaching is the authority I feel behind what I am saying. I approach each passage of Scripture with no topic in mind, study it, develop the message, and step into the pulpit with a message that has already changed my own heart, rather than something I thought the church needed. No person in our church could complain about me preaching against fornication (1 Corinthians 5) because they know I didn't decide to preach on that topic. They know that 1 Corinthians 5 was the next text we would cover no matter what the subject of it was, and I am just saying what God says (hopefully).  :D

Topical preaching is necessary, practical, and appropriate. I just could not live on a steady diet of it because I'm going to preach 156 times this year, and I can't think of 156 topics. When I first started preaching, I ran out of ideas within three months. Then, I started preaching through books. While I'm for topical preaching, I think expository preaching should be the main diet of the church.

You left out the main part of my post:  MAKE THE MATERIAL YOURS!!!  Preach/Teach from the heart, not the outline.  Inspire me to study, don't read to me.

Expository preaching is wonderful.  I love the preeminence of God's Word.  I don't like a steady diet of anything, even Lou Malnati's would get old if I ate the same pizza every day for every meal.  I personally get tired of being given a poorly put together book report or Cliff's notes of a book chapter or commentary.

Boomer said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Only 156 times, huh?

That, dear boomer, is why you would never have been able to be a real Hacker.  You should have said a minimum of 4,680 times preaching this year.  ;-)

Binaca Chugger said:
Boomer said:
Binaca Chugger said:

You left out the main part of my post:  MAKE THE MATERIAL YOURS!!!  Preach/Teach from the heart, not the outline.  Inspire me to study, don't read to me.

Expository preaching is wonderful.  I love the preeminence of God's Word.  I don't like a steady diet of anything, even Lou Malnati's would get old if I ate the same pizza every day for every meal.  I personally get tired of being given a poorly put together book report or Cliff's notes of a book chapter or commentary.

I agree. I do not consider copying someone else's book, outline, or sermon to be expository preaching. By definition, expository preaching derives its content from the Biblical text. If the content of the message comes from anywhere else, it is not expository preaching.

patriotic said:
Only 156 times, huh?

That, dear boomer, is why you would never have been able to be a real Hacker.  You should have said a minimum of 4,680 times preaching this year.  ;-)

He needs to learn to count family devotions, the sermon recap in the car on the way home, and any time he uses the word "brother" during the week.  :)

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
Only 156 times, huh?

He needs to learn to count family devotions, the sermon recap in the car on the way home, and any time he uses the word "brother" during the week.  :)

Make those lunches at the buffet count for a good sermon, too. HAY-men? 

patriotic said:
Only 156 times, huh?

I hear modern HACkers scream Baptist obscenities (ala JS) at other drivers, add a "BLESS GAWD!" on the end and call it a sermon. 

There's another 40 - 50 each day!

Binaca Chugger said:
patriotic said:
Only 156 times, huh?

I hear modern HACkers scream Baptist obscenities (ala JS) at other drivers, add a "BLESS GAWD!" on the end and call it a sermon. 

There's another 40 - 50 each day!

Now you're thinking!!

Ok, I have done some recounting of my sermon frequency according to the suggested methods of this thread. I am pleased to humbly....er...yeah....humbly announce that I have preached 12,000 sermons already this year (that should earn me some HACker street cred!).

Why stop counting there??? As I look back at my years and years of ministry, I realize that I have preached more than any other preacher in history. I know I've only been a pastor for 2 years, but I can say that I've been in the ministry for 33 years because my dad was a preacher.

So...in my 33 years of ministry, I have preached over 100,000 sermons to over 3,000,000 souls!  ;)

I also decided to recount the events of my average day using HACker math...I get up at 3:30 in the morning, pray for 3 hours, read the Bible for three hours, and then I walk in the woods meditating for 6 hours. I then go to the office to study for my sermons for 4 hours, followed by 6 hours spent counseling those who need it. The next 5 hours of the day are spent soul-winning. I then retire to the house where I spend 3 hours playing with the kids. Finally, we have family devotions for the next 2 hours.
  Now, I know it seems like there aren't enough hours in the day for this type of schedule, but....DON'T QUESTION ME! You see this little pinky finger??? There is more spirituality and knowledge in the tip of this little pinky finger than in your entire body!

WOW! I like this HACker math. I can't wait to apply it to the attendance numbers next Sunday!

Special thanks to RAIDER, Patriotic, and others who have inspired me with their wisdom...  :D

Boomer said:
Ok, I have done some recounting of my sermon frequency according to the suggested methods of this thread. I am pleased to humbly....er...yeah....humbly announce that I have preached 12,000 sermons already this year (that should earn me some HACker street cred!).

Why stop counting there??? As I look back at my years and years of ministry, I realize that I have preached more than any other preacher in history. I know I've only been a pastor for 2 years, but I can say that I've been in the ministry for 33 years because my dad was a preacher.

So...in my 33 years of ministry, I have preached over 100,000 sermons to over 3,000,000 souls!  ;)

I also decided to recount the events of my average day using HACker math...I get up at 3:30 in the morning, pray for 3 hours, read the Bible for three hours, and then I walk in the woods meditating for 6 hours. I then go to the office to study for my sermons for 4 hours, followed by 6 hours spent counseling those who need it. The next 5 hours of the day are spent soul-winning. I then retire to the house where I spend 3 hours playing with the kids. Finally, we have family devotions for the next 2 hours.
  Now, I know it seems like there aren't enough hours in the day for this type of schedule, but....DON'T QUESTION ME! You see this little pinky finger??? There is more spirituality and knowledge in the tip of this little pinky finger than in your entire body!

WOW! I like this HACker math. I can't wait to apply it to the attendance numbers next Sunday!

Special thanks to RAIDER, Patriotic, and others who have inspired me with their wisdom...  :D

You may never have spent a day at HAC, but you, my friend, have discovered the secret to the ministry!  :)

Do posts on this forum count as sermons? 

Let's see.....  40 million internet users each day......  500 posts......

I have preached 20 billion sermons this year!!!  So what if all of those browsers didn't come to this site!?!  If they choose not to listen it is their fault.  I have still preached the sermon to them!

RAIDER said:
Boomer said:

You may never have spent a day at HAC, but you, my friend, have discovered the secret to the ministry!  :)
Oh horror of all horrors!  He missed the fact that this formula only works in the spring and fall.  A true HACker knows that the numbers have to recede during no program time, in order to accentuate the 'growth' in Spring and Fall.

Anishinabe

Binaca Chugger said:
Do posts on this forum count as sermons? 

Let's see.....  40 million internet users each day......  500 posts......

I have preached 20 billion sermons this year!!!  So what if all of those browsers didn't come to this site!?!  If they choose not to listen it is their fault.  I have still preached the sermon to them!

The mantle has been passed on!!!